Add & Create Social Media Icons To Profiles

Started by hcfwesker, January 30, 2012, 10:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minico

Hi,

I have installed this mod and it seems to be working okay, but I do have a couple questions: 

First, I located the icon images in my default theme images folder.  Do I just copy them and upload them into my custom theme images folder to get them to work? 

Second, I have tested all of my social network links in my profile and they are all working except for facebook.  I am copying and pasting the URL without the http://www .facebook.com
When I paste the remainder of the URL, it won't accept the last 4-5 characters of the URL.  Is there away that I can increase the amount of characters that I can paste into the box so that
I can get my address to work? 

Thanks

hcfwesker

Quote from: minico on September 18, 2014, 10:56:38 PMFirst, I located the icon images in my default theme images folder.  Do I just copy them and upload them into my custom theme images folder to get them to work? 

Second, I have tested all of my social network links in my profile and they are all working except for facebook.  I am copying and pasting the URL without the http://www .facebook.com
When I paste the remainder of the URL,

Yes, just add them to your custom images folder, as instructed on the MOD page.

And, you don't add your facebook URL, JUST your facebook username at the end of your facebook profile link URL.  https://www.facebook.com/(username)

minico

Okay, thanks about the images!  I have tried just putting my user name in the block and it goes to facebook but says page can't be found.  Any ideas?

hcfwesker

whatever the name is you use to login with, use that.  I'm not big on facebook but that's how this MOD has always worked, unless facebook has changed since yesterday.  Goto your home profile page, and your name should be at the end of the URL on that page.  Not your display name, but your actual name you registered with.

Kindred

Well, actually, my Facebook url is not actually my username.... 

When you go to your own Facebook page, what is the url?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iain sherriff

hcfwesker.
Great mod :)

I am changing my site a bit and find the input for Devianart (which I am using for something else!) is limited to a max length of 32 characters. See the linkedin one is set at 65.
Looked in index.css ?

Damned if I can find where to change it !
SMF 2.0.12

hcfwesker

Quote from: iain sherriff on September 21, 2014, 09:03:03 AMI am changing my site a bit and find the input for Devianart (which I am using for something else!) is limited to a max length of 32 characters. See the linkedin one is set at 65.

Why use it for something else?  When the MOD allows you to create and add your own, and you set the amount of characters that can be used for created ones.   LinkedIn is longer because it required the entire URL to be added; where all these others only require the username.

you will need to modify this in 2 places.

The Database table for {database_prefix}members , column name 'deviantart' ; change the limit from 32 to whatever.

And Sources/Profile-Modify.php

'deviantart' => array(
'type' => 'text',
'label' => $txt['smi_deviantart_title'],
'subtext' => $txt['smi_deviantart_desc'],
'size' => 24,
'input_attr' => array('maxlength="32"'),
'permission' => 'profile_extra',
),

change 32 to the same number you change the database column limit to.

Even after doing that, you'll have to change the hard link coded for deviantart under Load.php

If you don't know what you're doing then I would not recommend trying, and just create a "custom social icon" as the MOD Updates were intended for.

iain sherriff

hmm

It's some time since I installed the Mod.......either I have forgotten how to use it or I have lost the admin area !
Couldn't think why I used the Deviantart as something else .....

Where should the admin area be ?
SMF 2.0.12

hcfwesker

MOD Description page is your friend: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3304

I linked it in the previous post the custom icon instructions.  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=467074.msg3528592#msg3528592

but this only works with the MOD version 1.1.0 or higher. for SMF 2

iain sherriff

Thanks.
I uninstalled 1.1.0
and installed 1.2.0.

I can create new fields now and that all works
But I am getting an error with PM's

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ECHO in /home2/turbopb1/public_html/talkingbb.com/Themes/default/PersonalMessage.template.php on line 297

I have tried a manual install on that file to no avail.

Could I ask you to have a look please  :)
SMF 2.0.12

hcfwesker

I don't remember making changes to that section.  I'll have to look at the parse instructions.

Change
if ((!empty($message['member']['custom_fields']))

To this
if (!empty($message['member']['custom_fields']))

Looks like an extra parenthesis at the start.  Maybe when I went to remove guest viewing in the last update, I went to PM edits then realized in PMs guest wont see them there.   Thanx for the report.  Let me know if that fixes the error.

iain sherriff

:)

Thanks again. That was it.
So my initial problem was  just that I had forgotten how to use the mod  :o
Don't know why I altered Devianart when I first installed though.................
SMF 2.0.12

iain sherriff

Is there a setting that would stop certain members showing the icons in the mini profile ?

I have couple where they are showing in Profile summary but not in post mini profile ..............

(having played a bit........if I fill in another box in these members profile, then save, ALL the icons then show up in mini profile. If I delete the info from the other box ALL disappear from the mini profile)
SMF 2.0.12

hcfwesker

Can't duplicate this on my test site.  Every thing is working as it should.  Whether 1 custom icon is used, several, 1 custom and no social icons, and vice versa. 

iain sherriff

I now  realise it is the same with every member.
None of the existing icons show in post profile until data is added to a new field.

It is not a big issue as most are updating info anyway and for the rest I am filling one field with "n/a" .

I don't have the icons in the who's online page either.......................
SMF 2.0.12

hcfwesker

PM me a test member account, and link to the site, so I can see for myself and possibly see what can be done.

Quote from: iain sherriff on September 22, 2014, 09:00:10 PMI don't have the icons in the who's online page either.......................

that was removed once i added settings to create icons in 1.1.0, seeing as some sites may add 15 or 20 custom site links, it would get massively crowded on that page.

hcfwesker

Quote from: iain sherriff on September 23, 2014, 03:53:32 AM
I'll PM you, thanks

OK, now I see what you mean.  I didn't know you only meant the default icons.  I goofed again, copy/pasting without paying attention.

In Display.template.php

// This shows the social media icons.
echo '<li class="im_icons">
     <ul class="reset nolist">';
if ((!empty($message['member']['custom_fields'])) && !$context['user']['is_guest'])

Replace last line with
if (!$context['user']['is_guest'])

iain sherriff

SMF 2.0.12

iain sherriff

SMF 2.0.12

Advertisement: