News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Copyright Removal

Started by Xarcell, February 04, 2012, 02:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

if you are using 2.0 you can do what you want, but the team could consider it copyright removal and not provide you support. if you are using 1.1.1* you can not modify the copyright in anyway.

French

So is´t allowed to place an image in the Footer.When the copyright text isn´t clickable anymore.
For example something like this.

The resized version

Deaks

technically thats allowed, issue for that is that Simple Portal will have a nice day taking legal action as that is aainst there license.  However why would you want to do that?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

French

Quote from: RunicHowever why would you want to do that?
Not for meself  ;).........Just react to
Quote from: XarcellI learned that spam-bots scan sites with the SMF copyright, then submit it to a directory where marketer's sign up to spam it with links to the sites they were paid to promote

IchBin™

Actually spam bots scan for much more than copyrights these days. Your better off putting things into place to prevent registration etc. There are plenty of mods to help with these issues.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Kindred

yes... that whole story about spambots or hackers searching for the copyright statement is just so much BS...  (and hiding the version number is not any form of "saftey" either) there are a dozen other (and more effective) ways to figure out what software a site uses...  then again, it's not like they even care. I get hack/spam attempts on Wordpress and phpBB type urls, even though I have never run either of those softwares.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Herman's Mixen

including all populair softwares like : joomla,mambo,wordpress etc..etc.. bots get smarter but its temporily good to disable registration and install httbl,stop forum spammers and get the prober API key's for some of those mods install the API's and then you enable th!e right mods before you enable registration again...

did a few tests and seems to work properly just got one spammer in 30 days and was blocked :P

and if ya can dont try to use caching will help a lot !
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

busterone

True. I don't get a live spammer make it past the defenses but once in a rare while. I see all sorts of Joomla, VB, Phbb, wordpress, and various other types of probes repeatedly and I have never had any of those scripts on this account before.  The SMF copyright is there with version number. I really don't believe that the copyright being visible has any bearing whatsoever on the amount of bots visiting a site myself.

Advertisement: