Additional Instant Messengers ( Skype + GoogleTalk)

Started by hcfwesker, February 04, 2012, 04:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fed Drago

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 13, 2012, 12:47:58 PM
Did you read my post, bud? It's not an issue with this mod, it's a problem with another modification you have installed. Hope you read this.

Also, if you want to go ahead and install it, then attach the files that failed, I'll install it for you manually.

Yep sure did read your message LOL  Like a replied back to you I do not need this Mod as my forums do not really require it.  ;)

GlitchPC

hcfwesker

Thanx for the help in support during my absense, Labradoodle-360 :)

Quote from: Fed Drago on February 13, 2012, 07:56:58 AMI feel the mod should auto install. Thank you for the efforts on this Mod but this is not a crucial feature for me and I do not have the time to do manual edits.

The ONLY guarantee you have of a MOD auto installing is with a fresh smf 2.0.2 forum.  As I explained to you before, the moment you install one MOD, you alter coding in files, and then the next, and the next, MODs you add, it alters more.  So, whether you want this MOD or not, you're going to have to take a stab at manually modifying the files ( which is actually much easier than it sounds)  or you're going to get to a point, very soon, where you wont be able to add any more MODs/Features to your site unless you take the advice we're trying to give and show you how.  Once you learn it, it's actually fun and you'll realize you been worrying over nothing.

GlitchPC

Oh...one thing I've noticed, though...

Shouldn't my Skype icon be green if I'm logged into Skype?  It's always gray when displayed on the forum...and when clicked on...it just shows my Skype profile...instead of opening an IM to send to the individual.  I'm really not sure how you've coded this to work...

hcfwesker

There are specific instructions on the MOD page for showing your skype status publicly?  This is what users must do on their Skype profile, not SMF forum profile.  Works fine for me on my test site, attached pic below.

QuoteFor Skype Status Icon to show properly, users will need to set up their settings on their Skype Profile
In their Skype window they need to click  Skype > Privacy > activate "Allow my status to be shown on the web"
Doing this will allow thir status on skype to be shown on SMF such as Online, Away, Do not Disturb, Offline ect...

About the Skype profile opening when clicked.... once you click the pop-up to launch skype to view the members skype profile, there will be two image icons in the window that opens, one to call and one to chat, if you both already have each other added on skype. 

GlitchPC

Thanks for that...

I remember I turned that option off in Skype.  Will turn it back on.  Thanks for the reply.

Fed Drago

Quote from: hcfwesker on February 17, 2012, 06:52:18 PM
Thanx for the help in support during my absense, Labradoodle-360 :)

Quote from: Fed Drago on February 13, 2012, 07:56:58 AMI feel the mod should auto install. Thank you for the efforts on this Mod but this is not a crucial feature for me and I do not have the time to do manual edits.

The ONLY guarantee you have of a MOD auto installing is with a fresh smf 2.0.2 forum.  As I explained to you before, the moment you install one MOD, you alter coding in files, and then the next, and the next, MODs you add, it alters more.  So, whether you want this MOD or not, you're going to have to take a stab at manually modifying the files ( which is actually much easier than it sounds)  or you're going to get to a point, very soon, where you wont be able to add any more MODs/Features to your site unless you take the advice we're trying to give and show you how.  Once you learn it, it's actually fun and you'll realize you been worrying over nothing.

Again I thank you for your response but I am trying to keep SMF 2.02 as vanilla as I can I have only installed 7 mods and really do not plan to install any more mods. I have been sticking only to the Mods that do not require me to do manual edits. I love your other mod that adds the other social medias without any manual edits and works like a charm. This one does not for me.

I realize that these edits are harder then they seem but I do not have the time to sit there and find code then replace it with new code.

I thank you for your time on this issue.

Cheers
Fed :D

pikeman

Nice mod, thank you!

Serbian translation:

$txt['gtalk'] = 'Google Talk';
$txt['your_gtalk'] = 'Ovo je Vaša GTalk adresa.';
$txt['gtalk1'] = 'G-Talk';
$txt['skype'] = 'Skype';
$txt['your_skype'] = 'Ovo je Vaše Skype korisničko ime.';
$txt['skype_static_image'] = 'Prikaži statičku Skype ikonicu.<br>(isključeno će pokazati detalje člana o Skype aktivnosti)';

starbock

Hi!  Fed Drago, I wonder if you might have the Advanced Profile Fields core feature enabled?  I've run into a similar problem (although in my case the failures occur under the Install in Other Themes section).  In my case what I found is that the mod is looking for a specific string that is possibly being changed by the Advanced Profile Fields.

In my case the problem is with the core (not default) theme modifications - the default theme tests all pass without a problem - so my problem may be slightly different than yours.

As a specific example, the mod is looking for:

./Themes/core/Display.template.php
', !empty($message['member']['yim']['link']) ? '<li>' . $message['member']['yim']['link'] . '</li>' : '', '

However, my file actually has:

', !isset($context['disabled_fields']['yim']) && !empty($message['member']['yim']['link']) ? '<li>' . $message['member']['yim']['link'] . '</li>' : '', '

If the string match were a little less restrictive and looked for:

!empty($message['member']['yim']['link']) ? '<li>' . $message['member']['yim']['link'] . '</li>' : '', '

The test would pass.

*IF* this is, indeed, the problem, then I'm going to side with Fed Drago on this one and suggest that while it is reasonable for mods to assume an SMF standard configuration, this one appears to not be mindful of a standard configuration with a standard core feature enabled.  Naturally, given the SMF architecture a mod cannot anticipate all possible mods made externally;  but *if* I'm correct in my observation, then my specific example is a very valid use case that the mod CAN anticipate to avoid this specific problem.

@hcfwesker - If you agree with this observation and believe that I may be right to connect the dot to the Advanced Profile Fields core feature, perhaps you could test your installer with ALL SMF core features enabled and let us know of any issues?  I'd really like to enable this mod in my forum but, like Fed Drago, I am hesitant to make too many manual customizations - I'm new to SMF and don't have the comfort level yet to drive that deep into the pool...need to enjoy the kiddy pool a little while longer but would love to add this mod!   :)

Fed Drago

Quote from: starbock on March 07, 2012, 07:34:50 PM
Hi!  Fed Drago, I wonder if you might have the Advanced Profile Fields core feature enabled?  I've run into a similar problem (although in my case the failures occur under the Install in Other Themes section).  In my case what I found is that the mod is looking for a specific string that is possibly being changed by the Advanced Profile Fields.

In my case the problem is with the core (not default) theme modifications - the default theme tests all pass without a problem - so my problem may be slightly different than yours.

As a specific example, the mod is looking for:

./Themes/core/Display.template.php
', !empty($message['member']['yim']['link']) ? '<li>' . $message['member']['yim']['link'] . '</li>' : '', '

However, my file actually has:

', !isset($context['disabled_fields']['yim']) && !empty($message['member']['yim']['link']) ? '<li>' . $message['member']['yim']['link'] . '</li>' : '', '

If the string match were a little less restrictive and looked for:

!empty($message['member']['yim']['link']) ? '<li>' . $message['member']['yim']['link'] . '</li>' : '', '

The test would pass.

*IF* this is, indeed, the problem, then I'm going to side with Fed Drago on this one and suggest that while it is reasonable for mods to assume an SMF standard configuration, this one appears to not be mindful of a standard configuration with a standard core feature enabled.  Naturally, given the SMF architecture a mod cannot anticipate all possible mods made externally;  but *if* I'm correct in my observation, then my specific example is a very valid use case that the mod CAN anticipate to avoid this specific problem.

@hcfwesker - If you agree with this observation and believe that I may be right to connect the dot to the Advanced Profile Fields core feature, perhaps you could test your installer with ALL SMF core features enabled and let us know of any issues?  I'd really like to enable this mod in my forum but, like Fed Drago, I am hesitant to make too many manual customizations - I'm new to SMF and don't have the comfort level yet to drive that deep into the pool...need to enjoy the kiddy pool a little while longer but would love to add this mod!   :)

Thank you I will check this out I appreciate your support on this as I understand that if you are running other mods that manual writes might have to be done. Although most of these are not really heard to do other than time consuming (if you are a noob at it like I am) I tend to stick to mods that install with out these manual code insertions. This is my preference.  I will usually not use a mod if I have to do any manual edits.

Cheers

Fed

hcfwesker

Quote from: starbock on March 07, 2012, 07:34:50 PM@hcfwesker - If you agree with this observation and believe that I may be right to connect the dot to the Advanced Profile Fields core feature, perhaps you could test your installer with ALL SMF core features enabled and let us know of any issues?  I'd really like to enable this mod in my forum but, like Fed Drago, I am hesitant to make too many manual customizations - I'm new to SMF and don't have the comfort level yet to drive that deep into the pool...need to enjoy the kiddy pool a little while longer but would love to add this mod!   :)

It's got nothing to do with what core Features are activated or not.  The Core "theme" is a them based off an SMF1 theme, it's why most MOD authors dont add support for it in their MODs.  And the reason I always add this statement in my MOd description pages.

QuoteThis Package ONLY makes edits to the SMF Default Curve theme.  Any other themes will require custom edits to the same files listed for the 'default' theme.

The MOd will still install fine, and work on the SMF Default theme, it just wont work properly on the core theme if u get install errors.   First thing I do anytime I make an SMF 2 forum, is remove the core theme from public view.

Fed Drago

Yes I concur I delete the core theme all together and just use the curve theme and a handful of other curve theme defaults. I also try to stay on top of mods that have been updated and remain current.

starbock

@hcfwesker - Thank you for that reply.  Very useful!   :)  Maybe consider explicitly stating what you said here (to delete the theme)?  What you said was very on-point and clear, very helpful for a newbie!

luuuciano

Nice one!
Here you have the spanish_es and spanish_latin strings:

$txt['gtalk'] = 'Google Talk';
$txt['your_gtalk'] = 'Esta es tu dirección GTalk.';
$txt['gtalk1'] = 'G-Talk';
$txt['skype'] = 'Skype';
$txt['your_skype'] = 'Este es tu nombre se usuario de Skype.';
$txt['skype_static_image'] = 'Mostrar icono de skype estático.<br>(no seleccionarlo para mostrar los estados de actividad de skype)';
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Sudhakar Arjunan

Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

nax

I like the idea of this but I use SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Bright Forest Theme v2.3 by Aaron

Do you have the list of manual alterations I would have to make to templates to get this to work on other than the default?

When I try to install, the default theme is OK but I get failures on my current theme I attach a screen shot so you can see which template are not compatible.

hcfwesker

Quote from: nax on August 02, 2012, 05:18:58 AMDo you have the list of manual alterations I would have to make to templates to get this to work on other than the default?

When I try to install, the default theme is OK but I get failures on my current theme I attach a screen shot so you can see which template are not compatible.

In the image you provided, where it says under each modification

1.  Add After

^^  click on the modify image at the front of each line.  That will tell you the manual edits that need to be made.  Since they failed they wont be exact, but you'll need to find the lines of code that closely match the edits listed when you click that modify image on the package install error page.

A tip that will help, all of these edits are placed with the Instant Messenger default icons, like yahoo, msn, etc.  so when you're editing a file, just use Cntrl+F  or the search tab and serach for "yahoo"  or "msn"  , should take you right to the similar lines of code. :)

Cereus

If we install this mod an error appears when we try to install → Add Social Media Icons To Profiles. Same happens if change the install order

hcfwesker

because both make changes to similar lines in several files.  You'll have to manually install one or the other.

Advertisement: