News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

HELP NEEDED: Best Forum Software?

Started by paddyfoote, February 08, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyfoote

I'm looking to start a new forum, but I do not know much about the options that are out there so I figured I'd ask people who've had some experience (hopefully with several of them) to get a broader perspective.

I'd like to know things like:
•   What are the most important features?
•   Which software does the best job of each?
•   Should I go with a freeware or a full paid software and why?
•   If I choose to pay, who gives the best value for the money and why?
•   Which one do YOU use and what made you choose that one?
•   Do you plan on keeping the software you have or switching to a better one? Which one and why?

Thanks so much everyone. I just want to make sure that I am making an informed decision when I purchase (or not)
:)

Illori

you are posting on a forum that supports one specific forum, the majority of the replies you will get will be from people that are using this forum and will answer about this forum. if you want answers about other forum software then go ask on their forums.

Account Abandoned

On the topic of paid forum software... I use vBulletin and IP.Board on some of my communities... I can tell you this, most free software (like SMF) offers the same exact support. The only actual difference I see on paid forums is the support is a lot better/faster and more professional. I would recommend sticking with free forums like SMF to be honest and then later on, if you want to go paid, most of the paid software will allow you to convert but you might as well give the free software a try first ;)

Advertisement: