News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Permissions bug?

Started by Pincopallino, February 19, 2012, 01:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pincopallino

Greetings,
I have created a group where users are added manually. This group is moderated: all posts from members of this group should be approved by a moderator; instead, they appear immediately, without any moderation.
All the sections of the forum are set with a profile "by default". I attach below a screenshort of the permissions for groups of users. It is in French, sorry, but the icons give all the info you may need. The moderated group is the third from the bottom. As you can see, ALL posts in this group should be moderated, but none actually is. I tested myself with a second ID, which I have put in this group, it does not work.
Is this a bug? I do not see what I can have done wrong....

kat

I actually wrote a doc about this. It seems to have vanished, unfortunately. :(

If you have post-count groups and non-post-count groups and members can be in both, for whatever reason, the member will get permissions from both groups.

It can get a bit confusing, that, which is why I don't have an post-count based groups on my forum. ;)

Pincopallino

Thank for your answer. If I understand correctly, in order to get this option working, I should remove the moderated members from all other groups, which are indeed post-count based. But because this is done automatically, I do not see any entry for the members in the "moderated" group making any reference to other groups. I mean, a member is by default "member". When it turns out necessary to moderate him, I can move him to the "moderated" group but I cannot remove him from the "member" group. What to do then? I cannot change the settings of the whole forum to non-post-count based just because I have one member who sometimes posts a bit emotionally.

emanuele

So you have enabled the permissions for post count based groups?
And at the same time you have permission to post linked to post count based groups?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Pincopallino

Quote from: emanuele on February 19, 2012, 05:13:59 PM
So you have enabled the permissions for post count based groups?
And at the same time you have permission to post linked to post count based groups?
Well, not really. Post counts are used essentially to classify members in different categories: they just show up with a different title. The only permission based on post counts is that new members cannot modify the details of their profile (to avoid spammers to put commercial links in their signature.
My understanding - possibly wrong - is that a member whom I put in the moderated group (posts are moderated) is automatically also in another group (depending on the number of posts) where the posts are not moderated. The latter takes then priority and finally his posts are not moderated. To solve this problem I should either remove him from all other groups (cannot be done manually: I would need a setting like "members in this group are not members of any other group) or have the more restrictive settings with priority over the less restrictive. I don't see how could I achieve any of the two results, though....

emanuele

So, in your forum, a member in the Modéré group could/is also be in another group (let's say Nancy)?

ETA: in fact I'd say that post moderation should have the priority over any other permission, so I'd say consider it a bug.
But since it's a permission itself (post with/out waiting for approval) I don't know if this behaviour is intended or not...because there is also the other side of the coin: you can imagine to put regular members under post moderation and then assign a secondary group to "disable" post moderation for certain members.
But again I think this is a quite unusual behaviour.

To quickly solve your problem you can "simply" enable the option to deny permissions and then in your Modéré group deny permission to post without waiting for approval.

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Pincopallino

Quote from: emanuele on February 20, 2012, 06:05:09 AM
To quickly solve your problem you can "simply" enable the option to deny permissions and then in your Modéré group deny permission to post without waiting for approval.
That did the trick! Thank you so much!

kat

Pincopallino

Only one more detail.... I expected that when there are messages waiting for moderation, I should get an alert by email. I didn't get anything. Should I activate this somewhere? I already get email when there are replies to subscribed posts or when there are personal messages.
I am frequently on the forum; nevertheless, it would be useful to get an email saying "hey, that guy is waiting for you to do something!"  ;D

emanuele

There is a scheduled task that should send an email once in a while with a summary of the posts awaiting approval.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Pincopallino

Advertisement: