News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to access article manager?

Started by jayc, February 21, 2012, 03:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayc

I am still trying to figure out how to create new php pages for my system. Apparently there is a tool called article manager which I am supposed to be able to access in the admin area.

I have been through the admin area three times now, checking every major choice and looking at all the sub choices listed and I simply cannot find the article manager.

Yet again another case of too soon old too late smart

Can anyone tell me what major page in the admin section I should be looking under ?

Thanks in advance
Anti Bot: Are You Human/Bot? 3.0 - Stop Spammer 2.3.9 - SMF Links    2.4 - SMF Gallery Pro - Aeva Media    1.2 - Ultimate Profile - SimplePortal 2.3.2 - RSS Feeder    1.1.5
[email protected]

NanoSector

There isn't any Article Manager in SMF.

Though portals like Simple Portal give you the option to create pages. Search for them on the mod site :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

jayc

Ok, thanks

I have been using Simple Portal for a long time, never occurred to me to check in there. I gave it a try and I don't think it is going to work for what I am trying to do.

I think there must be a way (or perhaps should be a way) to add a new php page to my SMF directory, for example myNewPHP.php. So far so good, I can do that.

Next step would be to include a line of PHP code, or several lines of php that would do the house keeping and add in the SMF menu. I cannot seem to figure out how to do this.

Final step would be to insert some include() code to insert the contents of myNewPHP.html into myNewPHP.php, I do includes all the time in other parts so I figure I know how to do that part.

I currently write html pages and link them into the SMF forum by adding them to the menu bar, but I have to have a menu on the html pages to get me back to the SMF system.

Maintaining two menu systems is a pain, I want to move the additional pages into my SMF directory and clean up the rest of the site.

Just knowing that I cannot do what I want would be a big help and this point

Thanks in advance, the very frustrated hobbit in Vegas
Anti Bot: Are You Human/Bot? 3.0 - Stop Spammer 2.3.9 - SMF Links    2.4 - SMF Gallery Pro - Aeva Media    1.2 - Ultimate Profile - SimplePortal 2.3.2 - RSS Feeder    1.1.5
[email protected]

NanoSector

You can do whatever you want with the system :)

First, add the menu button, but instead of the 'show' => true, add this:

'show' => defined('SMF') && SMF == 'SSI',

This'll tell the button to only show when SSI mode is on.

Next, add you page.

<?php

// Next, setup anything we'd like.
$ssi_ban 1// Ban any banned user that sneaks in here.
$ssi_theme 1// The theme used. 1 = Curve/default.

// And we can start including.
include('SSI.php'); // Assuming this file is in the same directory as SMF.

// Now, the header.
template_header();

// All your content here.

// And the footer...
template_footer();

// And some closing.
?>

I've added comments as to what everything handles.

Good luck!
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

admirable

My Website| JA Technologies
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Do hard work, one day you will be awarded for that!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

jayc

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on February 21, 2012, 03:28:34 PM
You can do whatever you want with the system :)

First, add the menu button, but instead of the 'show' => true, add this:

'show' => defined('SMF') && SMF == 'SSI',

This'll tell the button to only show when SSI mode is on.

Next, add you page.

<?php

// Next, setup anything we'd like.
$ssi_ban 1// Ban any banned user that sneaks in here.
$ssi_theme 1// The theme used. 1 = Curve/default.

// And we can start including.
include('SSI.php'); // Assuming this file is in the same directory as SMF.

// Now, the header.
template_header();

// All your content here.

// And the footer...
template_footer();

// And some closing.
?>

I've added comments as to what everything handles.

Good luck!

Thanks, and it almost works for me.  I hope I am not going to get into trouble for posting the same question in more than one place.

I tried creating my a new page, I also tried accessing ssi_examples.php with my browser, and I just got done putting your code into another new page to try out.

Pretty much the same problem in all these attempts. I get a whole buncha undefined statements, samples below, but there are a lot more:

Notice: Undefined index: html_headers in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1821
Notice: Undefined index: name in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Subs-Portal.php on line 1407
Notice: Undefined index: template_dirs in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1839
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1839
Notice: Undefined index: default_theme_dir in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1863
Notice: Undefined index: theme_dir in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Subs-Portal.php on line 730

I think I must be calling SSI in the right directory, but since even the ssi_examples.php which came with the system gives me the same results I am kinda at a loss for next steps.

da Hobbit
[email protected]

NanoSector

Hmm, try globalling $context.

After

include('SSI.php');

add
global $context;

And, if that doesn't work, before the same include code, add:
ob_start();

And if THAT doesn't work, I'm lost.

jayc

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on February 25, 2012, 02:11:20 PM
Hmm, try globalling $context.

After

include('SSI.php');

add
global $context;

And, if that doesn't work, before the same include code, add:
ob_start();

And if THAT doesn't work, I'm lost.

No joy, I added the suggested code one line at a time and got exactly the same results each time I tried to browse to it.

Someone suggested that perhaps one of the mods I have installed is screwing things up, hard to understand how a mod could be doing that and (a) have a bunch more effects & (b) the SSI folks being aware of it.

You can take a look at what I am getting at http://www.hobbitsworld.com/SMF/newPage.php [nofollow]
[email protected]

NanoSector

Oh my, that doesn't look good at all.

What mods have you installed?

jayc

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on February 26, 2012, 05:08:18 AM
Oh my, that doesn't look good at all.

What mods have you installed?
Yoshi,

I use these mods on this site - Anti Bot: Are You Human/Bot? 3.0 - Stop Spammer 2.3.9 - SMF Links    2.4 - SMF Gallery Pro - Aeva Media    1.2 - Ultimate Profile - SimplePortal 2.3.2 - RSS Feeder 1.1.5

I may be having a rush of brains to what I use to set on.  If you go to the very bottom of
http://www.hobbitsworld.com/SMF/newPage2.php [nofollow] you will see that SSI is still working.

Contents of newPage2 are (cut and paste from one of the FAQ's:
<?php
$ssi_ban = 1; // Ban any banned user that sneaks in here.
$ssi_theme = 1; // The theme used. 1 = Curve/default.
include('SSI.php'); // Assuming this file is in the same directory as SMF.
template_header();
template_footer();
?>

So it kinda looks like SSI is in fact working, but I am getting way a buncha notices at the start of it processing. Another one of the FAQ's for SSI tells me that you can start SSI with directives to turn various things on or off.

Since it appears to be working well enough to accomplish my original objective (to create new pages with the SMF menu at the top, I think it might be that I simply need to find a directive that will turn "notices/warnings" off, or possibly find where in SSI.php to turn them off.

Your thoughts?
[email protected]

NanoSector

To me it looks that simple Portal doesn't like SSI.
I'll run a test on my test localhost in a while.

(I'd like to stay away from hiding the notices/warnings or telling PHP to STFU)

EDIT: Not SimplePortal. Meh. Let me test all of your mods one-by-one.

EDIT2: Damn, can't blame any mods for the problem.
Then we can as well turn off the error reporting.

At the start of the file, after the <?php on a new line, add this:
// Turn off all error reporting
error_reporting(0);

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If the article manager is part of a mod, you should probably ask the mod author for help.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: