Warning messages as soon as I go to Install.php

Started by fotoman, August 24, 2005, 11:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fotoman

I just uploaded all the files and set permissions to 777 for all the folders (and files inside the folders) plus the additional 4 files, which include install.php. I bring up a browser and type in the address for my forum like ...forum/install.php and as soon as I hit the Enter key, I get the SMF Installer page. But at the top of the page, above the Basic Settings, there are four (4) warning messages. Here are the warning messages I get.

Warning: Undefined variable: _SERVER in /nfs/cust/8/62/11/11268/web/forum/install.php on line 361

Warning: Undefined variable: _SERVER in /nfs/cust/8/62/11/11268/web/forum/install.php on line 364

Warning: Undefined variable: _SERVER in /nfs/cust/8/62/11/11268/web/forum/install.php on line 364

Warning: Undefined variable: _SERVER in /nfs/cust/8/62/11/11268/web/forum/install.php on line 371

But I filled in all the blanks below, making sure I have the MySQL settings correct by going to my host panel and looking them up. But when I hit the Proceed button, it waits for a little bit, then kicks me right back to the original page with ALL my data deleted!

So I'm stuck - I can't even get out of the starting gate! I did run the server.php command and got a long page of information from my server.

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Gus

[Unknown]

I'm afraid your server doesn't meet the minimum server requirements.

Specifically, your host is using a version of PHP released in (or before) 2000 or early 2001.  There have been several major releases since then, and there are security holes and major bugs in said versions too.

I would recommend asking your host if it might be possible to upgrade the software on your server to something reasonably up to date and/or stable.

-[Unknown]

fotoman

Thanks, I will contact them and as about that.

Here is their current version:

PHP Version 4.0.6  Is this an old version that would not work?

This is what I get when I send ...server.php

Gus

[Unknown]

Quote from: fotoman on August 24, 2005, 11:23:01 PM
PHP Version 4.0.6  Is this an old version that would not work?

This is what I get when I send ...server.php

I'm afraid it is.  As I said, that was released in early 2001... and major changes were made in 4.1.0.  It would complicate things a lot to support both versions at the same time, although at one time (during the development of SMF) I did try to do just that.

And, as I said, PHP 4.0.6 (or, really, any version under 4.2.3) has major stability problems.  I really wouldn't recommend use of SMF on 4.0.6 even if it could work.

Sorry,
-[Unknown]

fotoman

fotoman

Ah, I may be in luck! I just got an e-mail from my Host saying "PHP 4.3.1
You've asked for it, and we're delivering it. Once we've reconfigured your
account on our new servers, you'll be able to use PHP version 4.3.1."

This is supposed to be completed in August. So hopefully it will be done soon and then hopefully SMF will run like a charm!

Gus

Advertisement: