The future of SMF

Started by Norv, February 24, 2012, 07:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

What exactly is the issue?

Antes

Quote from: Arantor on August 11, 2016, 06:35:24 AM
What exactly is the issue?

If you run upgrade.php via browser, convertUTF8 part not running. No problem if you run the upgrade via command line.

Bloc

It will stop the conversion no matter what - or just in certain conditions(large database etc.)?

Illori

it does not convert at all no matter the size of the db, like that part of the script does not run at all. the rest of upgrading finishes without issue.

equinoxmatt

Just a thought,  whilst I appreciate you are all voulenteers, which is commendable, who is 'in charge'.   e.g,  who is making the decisions how to define 2.1 as 'release ready'.  What is the criteria?  0 issues on github?  A certain set of features left to be implemented?

As much as projects take time,  I can't help but feel there is something going wrong in the whole management of the project.  If you don't have a clearly defined goal,  you are never going to get anywhere.

NOTE:  This captcha is absolutely appalling.  I had to listen to the damn thing.

Antes

Quote from: equinoxmatt on August 24, 2016, 07:30:22 PM
Just a thought,  whilst I appreciate you are all voulenteers, which is commendable, who is 'in charge'.   e.g,  who is making the decisions how to define 2.1 as 'release ready'.  What is the criteria?  0 issues on github?  A certain set of features left to be implemented?

As much as projects take time,  I can't help but feel there is something going wrong in the whole management of the project.  If you don't have a clearly defined goal,  you are never going to get anywhere.

NOTE:  This captcha is absolutely appalling.  I had to listen to the damn thing.

I'm sad to hear you feel that way. Team is not working on "whatever" bases we have our priorities. You can check GitHub for better information.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues | https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestones

feline

If you don't have a clearly defined goal,  you are never going to get anywhere.
spoken a true word left  ;)

equinoxmatt

Quote from: Antes on August 24, 2016, 07:44:06 PM

I'm sad to hear you feel that way. Team is not working on "whatever" bases we have our priorities. You can check GitHub for better information.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues [nofollow] | https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestones [nofollow]

Hi Antes,

I am fully aware of Github and I can see the issues/commits being made.  Are the milestones accurate?  If the issues list is up to date with the necessary tags that is fine. 

Just to clarify,  I am an experienced PHP developer and I intend to start making commits and patches.  I am not just here just to moan, intend to contribute.  I will post more questions in the 2.1 progression thread.

Can anyone do anything about this Captcha?  It is really, really p*ssing me off.

Kindred

the Captcha goes away after 5 or maybe 10 posts.
Sorry... until 2.1 is out, it is really our only defense against spam autoposters - even if it's not the best defense.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

equinoxmatt

Quote from: Kindred on August 25, 2016, 07:40:12 AM
the Captcha goes away after 5 or maybe 10 posts.
Sorry... until 2.1 is out, it is really our only defense against spam autoposters - even if it's not the best defense.

Thanks Kindred.  I was hoping there might be a better way.  As you said, it should go away soon.

Kindred

yeah, the issue is that multi-language questions are needed for this site to replace the Captcha
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

equinoxmatt

Could you not use the Google ReCaptcha project? The 'I am not a robot' tickbox works really well!

Illori

Quote from: equinoxmatt on August 25, 2016, 08:14:48 AM
Could you not use the Google ReCaptcha project? The 'I am not a robot' tickbox works really well!

we try not to install mods on this forum due to our setup and trying to showcase the forum as close to default as possible.

equinoxmatt

Quote from: Illori on August 25, 2016, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: equinoxmatt on August 25, 2016, 08:14:48 AM

we try not to install mods on this forum due to our setup and trying to showcase the forum as close to default as possible.

Fair enough.  I have met some bad captcha in my time,  this is near the top of the list.  Is their any plans to replace it in 2.1?

equinoxmatt

Is Mantis still being used?

What happened to SMF 3.0? Dead?

Kindred

no, Mantis is not being used. GitHub is the repository and tracker.

SMF 3.0 is on tap, for AFTER 2.1
Unfortunately, we do not have the manpower to work on both at the same time
Слaва
Украинi

Antes

Quote from: equinoxmatt on August 25, 2016, 07:34:18 AM
Quote from: Antes on August 24, 2016, 07:44:06 PM

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues | https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/milestones

Hi Antes,

I am fully aware of Github and I can see the issues/commits being made.  Are the milestones accurate?  If the issues list is up to date with the necessary tags that is fine. 

Just to clarify,  I am an experienced PHP developer and I intend to start making commits and patches.  I am not just here just to moan, intend to contribute.  I will post more questions in the 2.1 progression thread.

Can anyone do anything about this Captcha?  It is really, really p*ssing me off.
I'm so happy to see you want to contribute to the project. Yes all issues are up-to-date and they are still in the software so any issue you pick from the list (milestone) is valid.

Unfortunately we have to setup some defense to prevent bots to crawl the place with spam. Currently we don't have any better solution. yet team friends already answered your questions as much. About G-ReCaptcha afaik its also cracked as well so its not better than current captcha.

Quote from: equinoxmatt on August 25, 2016, 08:42:44 AM
Is Mantis still being used?

What happened to SMF 3.0? Dead?

Mantis is way too old, and its currently in read-only mod. We are moving to GitHub as much as possible.

equinoxmatt

Understandable why SMF 3.0 is on hold.  Getting 2.1 out the door is a priority.

I will probably jump on IRC later and get a fork and start looking into issues.

Arantor

You guys know you can do multi language Q&A in 2.0 right?

The guy who did it for 2.1 even back ported the actual 2.1 code specifically for 2.0 and it's on the mod site. And has been for two years?

Suki

Yes.  Can and want are two different things though, we can, we don't want.

Besides the "vanilla" approach, theres also the maintenance of this site. More mods == more maintenance. Big site and all that stuff.

Theres also the thing with upgrading, the upgrade process to 2.1 gets closer, the more closer it gets the more ineffective will be adding mods that are already features on 2.1
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: