News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple Machines is expanding

Started by Norv, February 24, 2012, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nend

QuoteCan we edit tag and description of all the pages/topics?

Meta descriptions are not a bad thing, don't let them get you down about this. Allot of social sites will and do use the meta descriptions for page links. So yes meta descriptions are important to a certain audience, to search engines not so important.

Allot of them also take open graph meta tags, not all of them though. The rest rely on meta descriptions for a link description.

Arantor

There's still a fundamental problem... unless it's automated using the content itself (i.e. the first post), users aren't generally going to fill something in, meaning that unless it's automated, you won't get anything at all (users don't understand why they would have to fill something like that in, they don't care about your site being well ranked)

nend

You must be talking about the tags. I don't see any problems with meta, just pull the description of the board or the first post of a topic and shorten it to specs. Basically all my SMF sites do this. There shouldn't be any source code edits required though to get this work. In index.template.php, if your in a topic just pull the first post out of the topic array, in a board pull context['description'] to get the board descriptions, in board index well nothing there to hook onto.

Tomy Tran

Nice, so how's about plan, when we could test on RC and use Stable edition of 3.0?

live627

sigh. The answer is in this thread. I hope the expectation to take a few minutes and read back a few pages isn't too much. If it is, we're talking years. Can't get any more specific.

NanoSector

Quote from: live627 on May 15, 2012, 03:30:41 AM
sigh. The answer is in this thread. I hope the expectation to take a few minutes and read back a few pages isn't too much. If it is, we're talking years. Can't get any more specific.
Plus the pages will still increase ;D
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

scimmiotto

Loop code example:
The following statement is FALSE
The previous statement is TRUE.

Arantor

Quote from: live627 on May 25, 2012, 06:25:55 PM
I'm done reporting. No one gives a ******.

That, and the fact that the whole reporting system just doesn't get peoples' attention enough, another reason why the whole moderation system needs an overhaul.

Kindred

Well, actually, the problem is that the folks who red the reports are not the folks who delete or ban....  And the few admins who can, don't....   When I had admin, I think I was one of the few who actually did something about the spammers.

Right now, the user is muted, warned or watched so as to keep track, but that's all that the non admins can do.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

But surely anyone who can read the report can remove the relevant post and document it in the moderation boards? Or is it now that no-one but admins can delete posts?

Trekkie101

Removed the posts :)

System does need slightly better notifications system or display though.

live627

Quote from: Trekkie101 on May 25, 2012, 07:53:05 PM
Removed the posts :)
Thank you. I see mine is gone too, but noo biggie. It verged onto the trolling side.

Quote from: Arantor on May 25, 2012, 07:13:27 PM
But surely anyone who can read the report can remove the relevant post and document it in the moderation boards?
Joker's mod does this. Why not use it?

Arantor

Think about that for a moment. The mods in use here are because they are things that are not present in SMF (topic solved, helpdesk etc.) but that have distinct use here.

Consider what would happen if it became the situation that the SMF team find the moderation panel so bad even they didn't use it. What message would that send?

Thantos

Quote from: Kindred on May 25, 2012, 07:11:42 PM
Well, actually, the problem is that the folks who red the reports are not the folks who delete or ban....  And the few admins who can, don't....   When I had admin, I think I was one of the few who actually did something about the spammers.

Right now, the user is muted, warned or watched so as to keep track, but that's all that the non admins can do.
It depends on the spammers but I've found that banning the accounts are generally a waste of time if you don't do it immediately.  Most spammer accounts I see come in, spam, and then are never used again.

What would be good is if the team can take a person to the level where their posts require approval.

Trekkie101

Quote from: Thantos on May 26, 2012, 09:27:22 AM
Quote from: Kindred on May 25, 2012, 07:11:42 PM

It depends on the spammers but I've found that banning the accounts are generally a waste of time if you don't do it immediately.  Most spammer accounts I see come in, spam, and then are never used again.

What would be good is if the team can take a person to the level where their posts require approval.
They can, set the "warning" level to 100% and the person can't post.

NanoSector

Wait may I ask where this discussion is going...?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Trekkie101

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 26, 2012, 02:10:14 PM

Very far to the left of the topic :P

Aisha01

It could be the greatest thing for the group who really had their effort on this project but then expanding will also means a lot of responsibility which I think will lead you onto some technical support to successfully manage everything at you own convenience.

Arantor

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 26, 2012, 02:10:14 PM

Spamwards, very quickly.

Tomy Tran

reCaptcha for plugin in, admin can use on Register, Login or Submit or insert in a post. Oh, I think should be a separate plugin but full feature like that :D

And attach image to insert into post must be improve as well ;)

Advertisement: