News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Banner help

Started by FrontierMuzzleloading, February 26, 2012, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierMuzzleloading

Guys i recently was promoted to Administrator at this website,"blackpowdertimes" "says i can not post external links"

They have one guy who knows how to upload new pictures and such. I made a new banner to replace the old choppy looking one you see now. How exactly do i go about doing this? I am new to this kind of format. Just looking for someone willing to help talk me though this one banner picture replacement and i should get the hang after that LOL.

tumbleweed

G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

tumbleweed

hold up I don't think that will work in your case.
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level

tumbleweed

However the most easy way is to upload the file and replace using the same name.
The path is shown as:
http://webpages.charter.net/srwilliam/1858/Blackpowderhog.jpg

Just rename your new banner the same name Blackpowderhog.jpg and place in the path as shown above.

Granted it sound likes yo never used FTP so....
go here and DL:
http://filezilla-project.org/
Then go here for some tips "how to"
http://www.securegcwebhosting.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displaycat&catid=10

Disclaimer:
Be very careful and always backup before making changes you are unsure about.

FrontierMuzzleloading

THANK YOU!

I have my brother here now helping me out. It looks like i will have to use my own user name in order to upload that picture to the forum.

You're right, ive never done anything with FTP before

tumbleweed

OK just be careful about deleting items.
also before you "Write Over" the old file rename it so you can use it in case the new banner does not work out.
Just rename to BlackpowderhogOLD.jpg then you can keep that in your webspace and if the new one does not work out,Just remove the OLD to bring the old banner backonline :)

FrontierMuzzleloading

up and runnin. I couldnt connect for FTP because they did not provide me with the user name/password to their server, gave me a lot of trouble until i figgered it out  :o They added it and it lots a TON better than what they had up. Now to work with them on their ugly color theme LOL.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help you provided.

Advertisement: