News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Updating from SMF 2 RC4 to SMF 2.0.2

Started by tbk22, February 26, 2012, 09:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbk22

I have a old forum with SMF RC4 installed I never had the time to update, but it's a very large forum with over 5k users and more than 100k posts. It also has many mods installed, such as the post voting mod, treasure mod, etc, etc...

Now I really want to update it to the newest SMF version but as I haven't  messed around with SMF installations and stuff like that for a long time I am not entirely sure how to do it...

What's the best way to update my forum from SMF 2 RC4 to SMF 2.0.2 without messing up anything and loosing my mod data?

Do I have to update version by version? Do I need to do a clean install and update the db to that clean install?

Also I would prefer to have a clean install as my forum has been modified many times and I have some bugs and error log is always getting bigger due to not exactly perfectly installed mods

Thanks,
=)

BlondChick

First: Make a backup of the forum and the database.

Download SMF 2.0.2 Large Upgrade and unpack it.
Then upload it with FTP.
Make sure that al necessary files and folders are writable (see instructions in the SMF 2.0.2. zip file)
Run upgrade.php and your forum will be upgraded.

Finally check your installed mods and theme. These might not work. Look for mods which are suitable for 2.0.2. The same for your theme if it won't work.

Have fun  ;)

tbk22

Quote from: BlondChick on February 26, 2012, 10:11:59 AM
First: Make a backup of the forum and the database.

Download SMF 2.0.2 Large Upgrade and unpack it.
Then upload it with FTP.
Make sure that al necessary files and folders are writable (see instructions in the SMF 2.0.2. zip file)
Run upgrade.php and your forum will be upgraded.

Finally check your installed mods and theme. These might not work. Look for mods which are suitable for 2.0.2. The same for your theme if it won't work.

Have fun  ;)

But that won't be like a clean install...

Would it work if I made a clean install of the latest version and just restores db? now that I think about it it wouldnt work probably because the db would be in the old version

But is there any way to make a clean install without loosing any mod data or posts?
=)

BlondChick

You can try to import the database into the new version. Another way is first upgrade your forum to 2.0.2.
Then export your db (it is the right format then for 2.0.2)

Delete all files and install your clean forum. Use the new produced database  ;)

pkrack

@blondchick as far as i know, the large upgrade package has sql files which are probably for updating db because its large update so it will cover both files and database

tbk22

Quote from: BlondChick on February 26, 2012, 11:19:44 AM
You can try to import the database into the new version. Another way is first upgrade your forum to 2.0.2.
Then export your db (it is the right format then for 2.0.2)

Delete all files and install your clean forum. Use the new produced database  ;)

sorry for the late reply

And can I update directly from RC4 to 2.0.2 using the large upgrade package?
=)

Illori

hcfwesker

Here's how i upgraded from RC4 to 2.0.2

Always make a backup

Download the 2.0.2 Large upgrade package.  upload the package zip under public_html in cPanel's file manager( root folder of the site)  clicked the zip package, and selected "Extract file Contents here" 

from that point, just goto your site and follow the instructions for upgrading.  delete upgrade.php after done.

you will have to reinstall all MODs afterwards.

Advertisement: