News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

setting up a year-book style page listing users + avatars

Started by dcmouser, August 25, 2005, 04:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcmouser

we are interested in setting up a little thank you page to recognize our members.

the idea is to have a kind of yearbook-style display (just think about a table of avatar images arranged in a grid, with usernames under each user's avatar picture (maybe along with the custom text for that user?)).

the idea is for such a page to be generated dynamically from the forum database - rather than being an integration of something like copernic gallery where users would have to upload their pics, we want this to be super easy and automatic.

sort of like an alternative way to display the list of users.

any ideas where we should start? is anyone working on such a project already? (maybe we could start with the user list code and modify that?)

i've done some work with the ssi includes (credit to the smf team, you've got an amazingly logical and well-designed system).
proud member of donationcoder.com (forum)

dcmouser

i ended up writing it myself.
in case anyone is curious, here is the result: http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?action=yearbook

couple of nice aspects:
1) it only shows members from certain groups we want to thank.
2) users can hide themselves or set a custom line of text to show under their name.

dcmouser

yes, we will be placing a collection of small mods we've made on our site download page (http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/SiteDownloads/index.html) in the next week.

again much credit to the smf coders who made such a wonderful system.

Harelin

LostProphecy

oooh this looks good :)

any chance of getting the images to also be a link to the persons profile??
Angelus Ex Quo Nox

dcmouser

images linking to profile would be extremely easy; i'll add it as an option - right now we have them link to person's web page if they have one configured.

i'll try to have a package with this mod and some other smaller mods we have made ready this week.
if anyone has made a mod before with an official package thing i'd welcome the helping in preparing an official package manager-compatible mod from our modifications.

trenchteam

dcmouser

i will try to prepare this for release this weekend.  any other suggestions for it are welcome.

JayBachatero

it would be nice if you implement SMF pagination style. ;)
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

dcmouser

i have uploaded a first beta release of the Yearbook Quotes thing here, where you can also see a sample page:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Other/SmfMods/index.html

IMPORANT:
this is not a proper package! you can't just install it.  It consists of a readme and the modified vs. original files.
only people very comfortable with modifying their files and using a file compare tool should try this.
read the README.txt carefully.

I would appreciate help from anyone who wants to smooth out the installation of this, especially in making a proper installable package out of it.

Jonny555

:)  This is something I know would be extremely popular on my site and would definitely encourage more to donate.  It's just the sort of thing they love.  :)

Jonny555

Any progress on this being made installable via Package Manager?  I'm positive this would prove to be popular among forum users.

trenchteam

I agree that this would get a huge response from the members here. 

It would be great if we could be able to categorize them.  Ex.  Mods page.  VIP members page. Etc.... And have a menu display at the top of the index of the album.

| MODS | VIPS | SPECIAL MEMBERS

SO it would be easier to sort thru the album.  It looks good, but since Im 1.1 BP, I'll wait for the package.  I downloaded your manual release, but you have it only for 1.05

dcmouser

good idea to have it categorized by groups -
in our case we only show members from certain groups that have contributed to the site in some way; grouping them would be an alternative nice way.  lots of fun additional things could be done. i'm still looking for someone to help make it into an official package.

Harelin

Any luck finding anyone to help you yet, dcmouser?  It's a pity this hasn't been made into a package yet :(

dcmouser

no volunteers to help yet, but looks like i'll be upgrading to smf 1.1 in the next week so i'll make another release for that and maybe someone else will pop up at that time.

dcmouser

:D

jay has been kind enough to volunteer to help make this into a proper package maybe even with some nice admin options.
just give me a few days or a week to update everything to smf 1.1 and we will try to get something official out.

Harelin

Advertisement: