News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Newbie problems I can't find answer to

Started by ChaosX128, March 04, 2012, 09:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosX128

Ok so at first I was having a problem with using PostgreSQL as a database, I'm not sure what was wrong, so I basically just wiped everything and started again using mySQL instead.  Everything installed fine, everything is up and running for the most part, but I'm encountering some glitches maybe...?  Not sure what exactly is going on.

The main problem at the moment is that all the User IP's are being registered as the server's dedicated IP address.  Right now it's not a problem, but you can see how this will become a problem down the road.

The second problem is that the Additional Instant Messengers 1.0.1 Package shows errors when trying to install.  I do not want to start messing around with manual input into code when I'm not entirely sure I should be doing so in the first place.

It's a relatively clean install of SMF, so I'm thinking something is not quite right for both of these issues to be occurring.

Here's the specs on the server as best I can find them:

php version: 5.3.10
Note: I could not find any php.ini file to set the proper values when installing.  However installation occurred without a hitch. And besides the problems I listed above, nothing else seems to be going wrong.

mySQL version: 5.1.56-log
Note: When creating the database I just selected all the options to be enabled.

Apache version: 2.2.22

It's a small business hosting account with hxxp:sitevalley.com [nonactive] which is shared, but the domain has a dedicated IP Address.

Installed Theme: Actualism (2.0) - No problems

Mods:

Ad Managment 3.0.1 - No problems
Aeva (Media Gallery & Auto-embedder), but then uninstalled and deleted because it wasn't what I was looking for.
Ohara YouTube Embed - This was what I was looking for, youtube BBCode.
Gamer IDs - No problems

Now this is where things start to get weird.

I've been trying to find out the reason for the IP address problem (as stated above) and decided to install IPTracer.
It installed fine, but upon going back to the forum index, NoScript started to give me warnings about XSS stuff.  I'm not sure of the errors, but something along the lines of using another site.  IPTracer did not help to resolve the IP problem either, so I uninstalled it and deleted it.  The warnings from NoScript soon went away after that.

So then I decided to put the IP Address issue on the back burner and try to install the Additional Instant Messengers 1.0.1 Package.

Well it basically gave me errors about load.php.  So then I thought maybe if I tried to install something simpler and tried to install Skype_Profile_Field_v1.1, and it gave me a bunch of errors too, including something about load.php.

So after that I ran all the diagnostic tools and everything came up fine.

Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong down the line, or do I need to create a php.ini file, or do I need to install some kind of php package?  My host lists a bunch of php packages that I can install.  I don't know what ones I would need to install or if I even need to install any for SMF, seeing how it's already working fine, sort of. 

Can I or should I just back up everything and do a fresh install again or is there just something silly I need to do?  Are these packages not supposed to install automatically and meant to give errors?  And why have all the user IP Addresses are reported as the dedicated IP address this whole time?

Sorry for all the text, but I'm really new with all of this.  If anyone could help me or guide me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Kindred

I don't know what is causing your IP tracking problems...   that's one that I have never heard of before. (Unless your forum is behind some sort of proxy?)

As for the mod errors...   as you install mods, you are indeed likely to encounter failures on additional mods.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: