News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Board issues after changing host

Started by maxjam, March 05, 2012, 04:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxjam

Hi there,

I recently moved to ukhost4u and used their one click install to install a smf board. 

However, the very first time I tried to load the page the screen was white, I reloaded the page several times before it eventually appeared.  I then entered my username/password and clicked on login and the same problem occured again - I had to reload the page numerous times before it finally appeared.  I contact support and they replied with;

Hello,

There is a known issue with SMF and the security we run on the server. As these error messages show, the scipt tries to call a function periodically which is banned.

Mar  4 23:42:33 orange suhosin[25142]: ALERT - function within blacklist called: shell_exec() (attacker '81.151.128.181', file '/home/mandaldy/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php', line 3759)
Mar  4 23:44:10 orange suhosin[26214]: ALERT - function within blacklist called: exec() (attacker '81.151.128.181', file '/home/mandaldy/public_html/smf/Sources/Aeva-Media.php', line 155)
Mar  4 23:54:31 orange suhosin[30111]: ALERT - function within blacklist called: shell_exec() (attacker '81.151.128.181', file '/home/mandaldy/public_html/smf/Sources/Subs.php', line 3759)

Both of these files need amending so that the line of code where those functions are called is commented out.

Regards

When I replied saying I had no idea what any of that meant and could they fix it, they replied;

Hello,

I am afraid that you would have to contact the developers to assist you with this.

Regards

Now obviously the Aeva-Media issue is an issue with the Avea mod I installed, but the other issue has been there since I first tried to log into the board. I can only generally access my board (http://mandalorianlegacy.com/smf/index.php) after numerous attempts.

Can anyone help me with either of these problems please?

ziycon

Can you tell us what version of SMF you're using?

maxjam

kat

Quote from: maxjam on March 05, 2012, 04:58:54 AM
There is a known issue with SMF and the security we run on the server. As these error messages show, the scipt tries to call a function periodically which is banned.

Obviously not a terribly good host. That tells them, straight away, that mod_security is enabled and should be disabled.

I'm betting that they won't disable it, too. :(

* K@ remember to put ukhost4u on his "Crap hosts" list.

ziycon

Try adding the below code snippet into your .htaccess file.
<IfModule mod_security.c>
   SecFilterEngine Off
   SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

maxjam

Quote from: K@ on March 05, 2012, 08:58:27 AM
Quote from: maxjam on March 05, 2012, 04:58:54 AM

Obviously not a terribly good host. That tells them, straight away, that mod_security is enabled and should be disabled.

I'm betting that they won't disable it, too. :(

* K@ remember to put ukhost4u on his "Crap hosts" list.

To be fair once I pointed out the problem they fixed it pretty quick.  They also fixed the problem with Aeva-Media too :)

Pretty good host imho.

kat

maxjam

lol yeah surprised me as well given the 'support' I've received in the past  :-\

kat

It was the "There is a known issue with SMF and the security we run on the server. As these error messages show, the scipt tries to call a function periodically which is banned." that did my head in.

This is all it is. Nothing terribly techie about it.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34270.0

Advertisement: