News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Descriptive Links

Started by Spuds, March 06, 2012, 12:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

That has nothing to do with the mod....   That is inherent in the way SMF bbc for URL works,
. Basically, if you try to "break" it, by using bad code, you an.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Texan78 on May 27, 2012, 05:53:59 PM
Quote from: die2mrw007 on May 27, 2012, 03:52:00 PM
Now the "No title version here:
[url=http://google.com][/url]

Because as I explained this morning that is the code for the user inputted titles. The mod won't parse a title because it's expecting user input. Look carefully at what you posted... If you don't assign it a title then it will be blank, the mod will not parse a title that it's expecting a user to input.

It should be this....

[url=http://google.com]Google[/url]

Guess you are not getting my point... I do know that if we dont apply a title to a url, it is going to be hidden.

The mod sometimes doesnt provide a title automatically to certain links...this is what I am trying to explain. I guess I am failing here to explain it properly.

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on May 27, 2012, 07:46:31 PM
That has nothing to do with the mod....   That is inherent in the way SMF bbc for URL works,
. Basically, if you try to "break" it, by using bad code, you an.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

You could drop the smugness, Kindred, you're actually in the wrong here.

Sometimes, the code won't get a title for a given page. But it still ends up putting an empty title into the URL tag. If no title is returned, it should not rewrite the link - at worst it should put the full URL back into the url tag where *the mod* removes it.

Spuds

Poof ... its gone, now everyone can move on to clutter up some other support thread.

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Arantor on May 28, 2012, 03:12:07 PM
You could drop the smugness, Kindred, you're actually in the wrong here.

Sometimes, the code won't get a title for a given page. But it still ends up putting an empty title into the URL tag. If no title is returned, it should not rewrite the link - at worst it should put the full URL back into the url tag where *the mod* removes it.
Hello Arantor, nice to see you here at this topic :)
Yes, if the mod performs exactly the same as you described, it would be a great and perfect mod for SMF!
I appreciate Spuds for making this creative mod. He deserves a BIG HUG from me :D

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Spuds on May 28, 2012, 03:50:14 PM
Poof ... its gone, now everyone can move on to clutter up some other support thread.
Why? it was a wonderful mod :'(

Kindred

Arantor...  What smugness? Huh?
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Where you keep repeating, as if it were truth, that there's nothing wrong because that's how it's supposed to work.

It isn't supposed to be the case that the mod ends up *removing the title* because one could not be supplied. But since it's been removed now, I guess it's kind of moot.

(In hindsight, smugness may have been the wrong word, but it wasn't quite up to your usual arrogance about how SMF is right and everyone else has it wrong.)

Texan78

Spuds why did you remove it? It was a great mod and worked perfectly on my board. It's to be expected some may run into issues with it.

die2mrw007, I hear what you are saying but I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. It you add a link this way....

[url=http://google.com]INSERT USER TITLE HERE[/url]

The MOD will NOT add a title because it is expecting a user inputted title. That is the function of SMF for that bbc tag.

Now if you linked it like this....

[url]http://google.com[/url]

Or just pasted the link without it, the MOD WILL parse a title for it because it's NOT expecting a user title.

The only way this MOD will NOT parse a title is if the page does NOT have a title to parse, therefor leaving it blank or embedding the link in a manner where the user has to input a title.

Look at the two examples really close and you will see the difference. I know what you are trying to say and understand but but look very closely in the example you're posted of how you're linking the URL, but the mod doesn't work the way you are explaining and it's not suppose to parse a title for user input titles because it would defeat the purpose of the tag.

Hope that clears up some confusion.

Arantor

QuoteThe only way this MOD will NOT parse a title is if the page does NOT have a title to parse, therefor leaving it blank or embedding the link in a manner where the user has to input a title.

Yes, yes, we know, we got that point several posts back.

The point that die is trying to make and no-one seems to be listening is that there are times the mod doesn't get a title for whatever reason and in that case it empties out the link text rather than substituting the original URL back in.

There wasn't really any confusion, except from people that didn't take the time to read what die was saying properly.

LexusFTW

TheListener

Kindred

only for SMF staff, Old Fossil...   the mod WAS removed.

Ah er in that case I'll remove the link.
Слaва
Украинi

Gryzor

LexusFTW

I'm confused.  Why was it removed?

Gryzor

My guess is, because of all the comments and the slight  trolling?

NanoSector

This mod was removed from the mod site, therefore I have to lock it.

EDIT: Neverrmind, need to learn the way of things going around here ;D
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Spuds

Nitesh Kunnath

Sad, I dont know whats going wrong with SMF developers :/

Advertisement: