Mobile Device Detect

Started by emanuele, March 07, 2012, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Captain Ghost-

I have a problem with this mod that if i refresh the page the mobile theme revert to original default them after then i had to clear cache for it to work again.

hope you will fix it.

Btw thanks for the mod

Thanks  :)

Oscar the Grouch

does this still work? been awhile since it was updated and this thread has been dead.

HRM

Quote from: Oscar the Grouch on October 31, 2014, 09:26:54 AM
does this still work? been awhile since it was updated and this thread has been dead.
Yes still working.
Using it on SMF 2.0.9 | SimplePortal 2.3.6
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

adrelanos

There is an issue. Once a mobile device has been detected, the detection cannot be undone.

You can test this using a user agent switcher browser add-on. Visit the page using a mobile user agent. You get the mobile page as expected. Then reset to a normal user agent and reload the page. You're still left with the mobile theme.

Do you think this can be fixed?

Miker1029

Quote from: adrelanos on March 15, 2015, 05:55:46 PM
There is an issue. Once a mobile device has been detected, the detection cannot be undone.

You can test this using a user agent switcher browser add-on. Visit the page using a mobile user agent. You get the mobile page as expected. Then reset to a normal user agent and reload the page. You're still left with the mobile theme.

Do you think this can be fixed?

BUMP, I have the same issue, Running SMF 2.0.10..

I've Added the New Recursive mod for Google Search Conformity, Since i was doing that Figured it was a good idea to just go Full (Or Mostly) Mobile Compat. So I Installed this Mod, Crip's Mobile Black Theme, and it Works Great, But when I switch the UA back to Desktop it doesn't switch back....

Any Ideas??  I'll go in and change the code myself if you can point me in the Right Direction... I would assume it's just not Checking for a False On Mobile (Maybe Just checking cookies?) or Not forcing a Browser Cache Refresh?  Dunno....

Any Help Here would be Appreciated, At the Moment I'm Putting a "Switch To Desktop" and "Switch To Mobile" On the footer....

But to have it do it Back AND forth Automatically would be great...

Thanks for any help.

Mike

pittu

Any update on this mod?
The above issue has been resolved by anybody?

brynn

I haven't read all 6 pages of this topic, so I apologize if this has already been answered.

If this allows you to choose which theme will be shown on mobile devices, it makes me curious if all themes are made to display on mobile devices?  Or are there certain themes that either are made for mobile devices, or work better on mobile devices?

Note that I've never had any mobile internet devices.  So perhaps it seems like a silly question.  But I know I have a lot of visitors using mobile devices (from my analytics apps).  Anyway, I can't test myself how it works, so I need to know how to configure for other visitors, if necessary.

Thanks for your help  :)

One more question.  Does this display in the forum message, if someone is using a mobile device (beside where it displays the browser and operating system)?  TA  :)

Miker1029

It's a Mobile theme,Haven't found one yet that looks good tho.... Maybe On an Un-Modded forum.... And I don't believe it displays that it's being used....

Mike

brynn

Quote from: Miker1029 on July 15, 2015, 10:15:54 AM
It's a Mobile theme

I don't think it is.  Because I installed it.  And it shows all my forum themes and asks to choose one.  I just don't know if any or all will work on a mobile device, or if I need to install a special theme for mobile devices?

Miker1029

Yes you have to Install a Mobile Theme, and direct Mobile Detect to that theme, and as I said, I haven't found a Decent (free) theme for mobile on a Heavily modded Forum, So You might Run Into Issues.... I used to use GRIPS mobile theme, Which On A not so modded forum probably is pretty good....

Mike

brynn

Ok, thanks Miker1029 :)

So searching "mobile" in themes area, gives 7 results.  Only 5 for 2.0.x.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you assign it one of the regular themes, like whatever theme you're using for your forum default?  Is it just all jumbled up??  Or nothing is displayed?  All this time, I've been wondering what my site looks like on a smart phone!

Miker1029

Quote from: brynn on July 15, 2015, 10:03:08 PM
Ok, thanks Miker1029 :)

So searching "mobile" in themes area, gives 7 results.  Only 5 for 2.0.x.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you assign it one of the regular themes, like whatever theme you're using for your forum default?  Is it just all jumbled up??  Or nothing is displayed?  All this time, I've been wondering what my site looks like on a smart phone!

It just detects if the user is on a mobile device, then loads what ever theme you want, if it's a non-mobile them then it wont be mobile... It doesn't "convert" the theme to mobile, You have to install a mobile theme, then point the Mobile Device Detect to that theme.....

If you want to see what it looks like mobile get a UA agent Spoofer for your browser and set it to a Mobile Device...

Mike

brynn

Thanks again, Miker1029!

Another question.  What about for portals?  I'm using Tiny Portal.

Is that what you meant by "heavily modded"?  Can the whole portal site be accessed from a mobile device, with a mobile theme installed?  For example - Can articles be seen?  And custom html pages?  The calendar?  Or can it only display the forum part?

Quote from: Miker1029 on July 15, 2015, 04:20:27 PM
Yes you have to Install a Mobile Theme, and direct Mobile Detect to that theme, and as I said, I haven't found a Decent (free) theme for mobile on a Heavily modded Forum, So You might Run Into Issues.... I used to use GRIPS mobile theme, Which On A not so modded forum probably is pretty good...

I searched on "grips", "grips mobile", and "grips mobile theme" and came up with results for some mobile device security app, and grips like "handles", grips like making Hollywood movies, and themes for mobile phones.  But not themes for websites to make them display on mobile devices.  Can you give me a clue how to learn about whatever you meant?

If only mobile themes can actually display forums on mobile devices, then the Mobile Device Detect mod should not offer all the themes installed on an SMF site in its configuration.  Right?  Either it should only list the mobile themes that are installed.  Or if only 1 mobile theme can ever be used, it should just automatically find it, and not offer the dropdown list of themes to the admin.

Or looking at it the other way.....which is how I was thinking at first.  Just like members of an SMF forum can choose from multiple themes that the admin might have installed, it should be possible for the admin to install multiple mobile themes, and the mobile device owner could choose which theme they like, from whatever the admin  has offered them.

Well, just some thoughts from a very non-mobile person!

Thanks again   ;D

Miker1029

My Bad it's "CRIP" theme....Sorry took so long, was just relooking into this and noticed your post...

Mike

foxesdancingonsnow

FYI for anyone who considers using this mod, it causes a problem where private messages that have been read remain marked as unread, unless you are using the mobile device theme that you've designated.

Donnie Fontaine

So if I install this and a user goes to my forum on a mobile device, I can automatically set the theme he uses... But if he then views my forum on a desktop or laptop, he'll still get the mobile theme? Is that correct?

Quote from: Miker1029 on May 09, 2015, 10:46:12 AMAt the Moment I'm Putting a "Switch To Desktop" and "Switch To Mobile" On the footer....
That sounds like a pretty decent solution. Can anyone provide details on how I would go about implementing a theme change from a footer link?

caymiss

I am interested in this or another Moblle Device Detect Mod for a forum I have been asked to Admin. I am learning about SMF, and very much a novice.  We are loosing interest in the forum because it is hard to use on mobile devices and wish to preserve the forum and the knowledge base it offers.

Any guidance or help will be greatly appreciated!

Shambles

Quote from: caymiss
I am interested in this or another Moblle Device Detect Mod for a forum I have been asked to Admin.
Any guidance or help will be greatly appreciated!

Errmm am I missing something here?   Try the mod or acquire a responsive theme.

Sir Osis of Liver

Hmm, thought I had posted this info few weeks ago, guess not (either that, or another of my posts has mysteriously disappeared :P).  Anyway, if you can't find a responsive theme you like, or prefer to keep your current non-responsive theme and use a different theme for mobile, you can use this mod, but not out-of-box.  Hasn't been updated since 2012, is not supported, and doesn't work well.  I'm using it here, I have it configured for phones only, desktops/laptops/tablets see my main (non-responsive) theme.  It's been modified to bring it up to date and to work the way I want.  It's not bulletproof, but haven't had any complaints (so far).  If you want to try it, drop me a pm.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

caymiss

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 27, 2019, 04:19:05 PM
Hmm, thought I had posted this info few weeks ago, guess not (either that, or another of my posts has mysteriously disappeared :P).  Anyway, if you can't find a responsive theme you like, or prefer to keep your current non-responsive theme and use a different theme for mobile, you can use this mod, but not out-of-box.  Hasn't been updated since 2012, is not supported, and doesn't work well.  I'm using it hxxp:www.thekrashsite.com/forum/index.php [nonactive], I have it configured for phones only, desktops/laptops/tablets see my main (non-responsive) theme.  It's been modified to bring it up to date and to work the way I want.  It's not bulletproof, but haven't had any complaints (so far).  If you want to try it, drop me a pm.

You probably did post several weeks ago, I looked at the first few post and then jumped to the end to see if any recent activity was going on with the mod.  I am a really low level novice with SMF and have no idea what a responsive theme is.  I will read some more and try to learn the terminology so perhaps I can ask the right questions. Hopefully, with some support, I can make our forum more user friendly for mobile users.  Thank you for your offer of help.   I will be back in touch.

Advertisement: