News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Paid] 2.0.2 Board Category Tabs.

Started by SikLiFe, March 08, 2012, 02:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SikLiFe

Edit: 3/22/2012

I've taken it upon myself and attempted to do this myself, if you wish to view the progress please check out
http://www.blackhaze.net

here you can see im using Jquery for my tabs, and also for my 'accordion' for the info center, originally i had both using tabs, which looks quite nicely but it was to much tabs for one page for me! :(

the only needed edited files so far is.
index.template.php
BoardIndex.template.php

I'm using jQuery for the tabs and info center which I've came quite fond of, it allows you for an easily customizable interchangeable theme.
http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/
allows you to design your own theme, then all you do is upload .css and /images/ it gives you after you design them the way you want, and wa---la.

UPDATE: 4/22/12

I've finished and uploaded it to SMF into the mod section awaiting approval to become a modification, so if it goes smoothly it'll soon be ready for everyone.
thanks everyone that's supported the cause, this is my first public modification.

I've posted it on my own website, http://www.dontvisitus.com you can download it with out registration, if you can't wait for it to get approved here,  maybe i can get some bugs worked out if any before it gets approved here and re-submit the application.

UPDATE: 4/27/12

A Linking issue has been fixed for custom-theme variations, the file has been uploaded to modification approval here, as well on dontvisitus.com, enjoy the modification if you do use it, make sure to uninstall the previous version.
A great breakfast is always the right answer.

TheListener

What is your forums link?

Have you looked into using childboards? ( These can be renamed as sub boards).

SikLiFe

Child boards are used regardless, The idea is to keep a forum looking clean, keeping sections entirely in there own section or tab if you will. if you come to a board and click a Gaming Tab, then all you'll see is a list of gaming category's. not always just 1 category however, as many category's chosen for that paticular tab.

ideal sites; supportforums.net, hackforums.net are good examples of how tabs are used.

thank you for your input though, much appreciated for thinking of other solutions, I'm just looking to have this mod in paticular, which is why i offer to pay for it, I can write simple mods, and small code changes, but this maybe out of my league.

this would be a good start, for anyone interested.
http://jqueryui.com/demos/tabs/#default

I'm using SMF 2.0.2 w/slightly modified lagusta theme. I started a new forum after years of running my old one, to expand into a new project. so this one is completely database free and would like to build it up some before i let the registration open. :)

TheListener

er the forum link? That looks more like a general website.

SikLiFe

my forum link? however it's nothing but a blank forum at the moment as this is my new project.

TheListener

Quote from: siklife on March 09, 2012, 02:33:37 PM
my forum link? however it's nothing but a blank forum at the moment as this is my new project.

People are better equipped to help if the forum can be seen otherwise it is a case of a shot in the dark.

You wouldn't expect someone to read a book or look at an image in a dark room for example.

4Kstore

You need something like the desing  of this page: www.smfsimple.com ?

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

SikLiFe

Yes that's pretty much the concept of it! I already have someone writting one customly for my theme, if he backs out i'll contact you. thanks.

this would still be a good mod for to put out for the public however!

!RFAN

Jessica.

I would love this too, but I can't do paid :/ I hope it can be available for free
Testing Zone - SMF 2.0.7, default Curve
School & Chat - phpBB3, over 170 mods installed, official live forum

I use the latest version of Chrome

phpBB: Forum = a section; Board = whole site
SMF: Forum = whole site; Board = a section

SikLiFe

Welp, I think after a week and no answer, the other professional designer may have backed out, this is open and i will pay.

I'd actually like to move this to the Help Support Section. I have bigger plans for this modification. please contact me. if interested.

Matthew K.

Hmmm...sounds pretty sweet, I'll shoot you a PM.

SikLiFe

I've taken it upon myself to give it a shot, I've used jquery for the whole theme im tempting to build, if anyone would like to view how this outcome is coming along,

you may visit my test site, http://www.blackhaze.net

The great thing about using Jquery is the theme is almost instantly changeable, you just go to there site, design your own colors. and upload the there css and images file to your theme directory, BOOM, theme a completely different color. (:

much more work still needs to be done, but im progressing! :)
if anyone wants to offer help, just shoot me a pm.

P.S i know i have lots of CSS editing to do still, i'll get there!!! xD

Antechinus

Smooth action and nice styling there. :)

SikLiFe

thanks alot, (:

i edited the first post.

Jessica.

SikLiFe

When I'm not so busy with work, hopefully next weekend, i'll document the changes. and add them to a modification package, maybe it'll get approved as an modification or something. also hopefully i can collaborate with Labradoodle at a later time to discuss the making of an ADVANCED version. if anyone else is interested in this, it may help the motivation to get this documented and setup. other wise atm it's used for personal use. :P

Jessica.

k, looking forward to you releasing it

Draffi

I have a lot of categories, too.

Please, can u show us the edits? Must be nice to use this.

Thank you.

Matthew K.

The topic starter said he'd share the edits when he can...and possibly redistribute it as a packaged modification on the SMF Mod Site. Patience is key :)

@topicstarter - sure, shoot me a PM when you're ready.

Advertisement: