Best portal which works with Pretty URLs

Started by ashish101, March 08, 2012, 10:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashish101

Hi all

I want to install a portal on my site which works well with pretty urls. I tried ADK portal earlier but it was bringing the site down.

Any suggestions from your experience.

Thanks
Ashish

Illori

i dont think any portal really works with pretty urls, and pretty urls is known for causing more issues then it is worth. so uninstall pretty urls and test out the portals until you find one that works for you.

feline

PortaMx comes with his own SEF engine ...  ;)

ashish101

Thanks feline, but don't want to re-write whole site's URL again.

Illori

ashish101

there you go, all posts un-related to the topic and the cause of debate removed.

Illori

that does not mean that people will ever agree with you.

ashish101

Quote from: Illori on March 09, 2012, 09:57:09 AM
that does not mean that people will ever agree with you.
Illori - in the beginning itself I said that it's my opinion and not trying to force it on anyone.

Kindred

well, I will flat out state fact (not opinion)

pretty urls have negligible, if any, result on Search engines reading or ranking your pages and your site.
Additionally, which they might make sense on a static site, or even a blog site, they are completely pointless on a forum site.

of course changing your urls a few times will get you reset in the rankings, since they search engines need to re-scan the site after each change.

that being said... if you insist on the silliness of prettyurls,  since prettyURLs is a vbgamer mod and EZPortal is also a vbgamer mod, you could check to see if they play nicely.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ashish101

Quote from: Kindred on March 09, 2012, 01:02:13 PM

pretty urls have negligible, if any, result on Search engines reading or ranking your pages and your site.
Additionally, which they might make sense on a static site, or even a blog site, they are completely pointless on a forum site.

of course changing your urls a few times will get you reset in the rankings, since they search engines need to re-scan the site after each change.

that being said... if you insist on the silliness of prettyurls,  since prettyURLs is a vbgamer mod and EZPortal is also a vbgamer mod, you could check to see if they play nicely.

Thanks kindred. I insist on the "silliness" of pretty urls, they look pretty on the site :D.

I will try EZportal then.

Omega X

Quote from: Kindred on March 09, 2012, 01:02:13 PM

Not to dig yet another hole in this legacy debate, but pretty urls are not for the Search engine these days. It for human recognition. Using them on a forum makes sense to an extent where site.com/forum/stuff/post# "site.com/forum/stuff" is recognizable by the user and easy to type out quickly.

Its all personal preference really.

Kindred

but, the point is - those sort of urls make sense on a blog where the post contents are straight forward and clear.
They don't really make sense on a forum, where you will likely see 700 pages with the url - mysite.com/help_me_now

utterly pointless for humans or search engines
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

feline

as I say any time ... SEF is a good thing, to have cleaner and better readable URL's, but in fact .. it do not shift up the ranking really  ;)

ashish101

Quote from: feline on March 14, 2012, 09:10:37 AM
as I say any time ... SEF is a good thing, to have cleaner and better readable URL's, but in fact .. it do not shift up the ranking really  ;)
Has anyone actually tested this and compared results like-to-like?

I am asking this because every time SEF topic comes up, all the SMF pros start saying things against SEF URLs but I don't remember seeing any test proof or anything.

Kindred

I do business websites and website analysis for my RL job...  so, yes, I know what I am talking about.
Слaва
Украинi

feline

What you have is a better search result because with SEF the link have more informations
SMF : domain/index.php?topic=1936.0
SEF: domain/where-should-i-talk-to-to-resolve-this

Kindred

Feline...   Untrue. The search engines do not care about the URL and there is no significant benefit in search results.

Additionally, as I already said... Those urls make sense on static pages and blogs, where the title is distinctly related to the content. On forums, it doesn't work that way.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: