News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect the database

Started by emmanova, March 10, 2012, 07:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emmanova

Since I moved to Hostgator I am now getting this error. The said is my forum is using lot of traffic, high CPU and that I need to enable caching.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

TheListener

I believe they are a reseller ( if memory is intact).

I'd change host asap.

Eudemon

if you're using more resources than allowed, this problem most likely caused by your host

emmanova

Well thank you guys but in order for me to really have a good argument with Host Gator and let them know is their server I need to have a good backup explanation. I already try to explain to them that is there server and I am not getting anywhere. Like for example:

How my site will create such a high demand on their server when I never have more than 4 or 5 members per day?
Anyway to see on my server or inside SMF what is running in the background so when they tell me is my site I can tell them, "here is the report that my forum is not doing it"

I move already from one hosting provider because they didnt have a good security and all my sites were getting hacked to the root directory, that's why I move to Host Gator. I really need professional advice to back me up. Or something to show.

LiroyvH

HostGator is a overseller indeed. Ergo it's a scam. Finding a real host would solve your issues, HG wont give in.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

emmanova

Quote from: CoreISP on March 10, 2012, 08:40:44 PM
HostGator is a overseller indeed. Ergo it's a scam. Finding a real host would solve your issues, HG wont give in.

Well I came from Resellers Panel to Host Gator. I dont mind if I need to spend hours to make them change their server, if I know Im right, Im right, but I need proof. Without it I cannot go to them and tell them is their server.

Now you guys all telling me, the server is limited, but on what aspect? What SMF is doing to cause such a problem on high demand with only 4 members login, how to do you guys know is not SMF, theres got to be a way that I can see a log or a cron or something that I can say, "ah ok this is what SMF is doing that is causing the high usage on the server"

emmanova

Anyone have an answer for me about this? I am still having the error message.

emmanova

Any suggestions to the problem. No Support Candidate?

Illori

you were given an answer, you have an oversold host and if you change host the error will go away.

emmanova

That was not an answer Illori, that was an Opinion of what they think is wrong. Same opinion that Host Gator has that the problem is SMF. All I ask from the Support here is professional backup proof so I can go against HG. If I just go an open a ticket and tell them "your server is over crowed" That is my opinion against them.

All I need is a place, a log, a report or something where SMF can show me, that HG server is the one crapping out, with that proof I can backup what you guys are saying and what I will tell them. IF HG at that point even showing them proof that is their server deny the fixing I can get my money back.

What you guys didn't get is that I am a cpanel reseller, I dont have just my forum here, I do have other customers websites and every time I switch providers is not only me the one that goes down until the switch over, is also my customers and I won't lose money by jumping from provider to provider cause that affect my business.

Now from my point of view, YES I agree is the HG server cause I didn't have this problem before with my other provider. Which it will help as well if you guys are a bit more helpful as well and maybe recommend Hosting providers where you guys have your Forums and may not having this issues. Cause like I said, I cannot keep jumping from provider to provider testing them because that will affect my hosting business as well and my customers.

Thanks in advance!

Illori

there is no real way for you to prove it is them, but that error is from the server. so there is nothing you can do to fix it. even if you can prove they are oversold they will not admit it and most likely would try to push you to a vps.

emmanova

Quote from: Illori on March 16, 2012, 09:26:14 AM
there is no real way for you to prove it is them, but that error is from the server. so there is nothing you can do to fix it. even if you can prove they are oversold they will not admit it and most likely would try to push you to a vps.

Well ok, in that case because the situation I have with hosting other customers sites, if I do a move I have to do it right or they will get mad at me. Which providers are your guys are using in order to host your site. Sadly it has to be a Cpanel Reseller, but if I get recommendations I can do my homework and find out if they are resellers or not.

Thanks!

Illori

check the hosting board here, they are not oversellers and you should have no issues with them.

emmanova

Quote from: Illori on March 16, 2012, 11:29:53 AM
check the hosting board here, they are not oversellers and you should have no issues with them.

I am mobile I don't know if you were planning to give me a link or there is ao thread here that is called hosting board

Advertisement: