News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

recommended load average?

Started by lordzardeck, March 18, 2012, 04:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordzardeck

What would be the recommended load average for a forum with an estimated 30 - 40 online users average and over 300,000 posts?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Can't really give "recommendations" on server load. Server load is dependant on server specs, configuration, scripts, traffic, and so on... Generally, the lower the better.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lordzardeck

LiroyvH

Did you not read?
It depends on the server configuration whether 4.0 will be too high or perfectly acceptable...

Your post lacks details with regards to the server configuration, so nobody will be able to give you a answer until you do post them.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

lordzardeck

Operating System:   Linux 2.6.18-028stab070.14
Processor:   Intel® Xeon® CPU L5320 @ 1.86GHz (138.198MHz)
Load averages:   4.18, 3.47, 3.38
Current processes:   56 (53 sleeping, 3 running, 0 zombie)
Processes by CPU:   httpd (19) 1.3%, (other) (25) 0.0%
Memory usage:    22.087% (347392k / 1572864k)
Swap: 0% (0k / 0k)

does that help?

LiroyvH

Is this a VPS?

Hard to say. On the CPU itself it would be acceptable to have 4.00, 1.00 per core is no problem at all.
Though with VPS I have no idea how it would affect performance, in general if it displays the total system load it should be fine. It depends a bit on the hypervisor. 

lordzardeck

Quote from: CoreISP on March 18, 2012, 02:20:15 PM
Is this a VPS?

Hard to say. On the CPU itself it would be acceptable to have 4.00, 1.00 per core is no problem at all.
Though with VPS I have no idea how it would affect performance, in general if it displays the total system load it should be fine. It depends a bit on the hypervisor.

We are pretty sure it's a shared host, but we don't know [the owner doesn't know either. figure that one out :p]. Sometimes the server will be below 1.0, and it runs excellent. Once it reaches 4.0 or higher though, things really start to slow down. I guess I was really just wanting to know if I should be worried about having it at 4.0.

LiroyvH

I doubt the CPU will be able to scale down to 138Mhz with energy savings, especially not when the load is rising...
This definitely looks like a VPS.

If the owner of the VPS doesn't know what he purchased i'd really suggest reviewing that in the future...

Advertisement: