News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

turning off all automatic email transmisions ?

Started by siera omega, March 16, 2012, 05:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

The copy of SMF that you have installed on your site wants to talk to its own database installed on your site, to get the information it needs to run. If you're frequently getting these emails, it means that SMF is often having trouble talking to its database. If this was "always", the first thing to check would be that you have the right database "user" and password and permissions set up, and Settings.php matches them, and the database is up and running (check through phpMyAdmin). If it's "sometimes", that means that your host's database server is having some sort of problems, and you should talk to them. They may not be aware that there are problems, if no one complains.

siera omega

good for you !

now .... if same one inserts this explaination into the error messages >
then every one else will know this fact > too !

and ..... if any one will tell me > what to do !
to turn off those sense less messages > then I will not have to delete them by the tausends !

because their are not valid as far as I have seen this concerning the operation of the forum ......
they are just a waste of time .....

MrPhil

As I said, if your forum works part of the time, your database connection information is correct. If you're getting thousands of database error messages, your host has severe database problems and you should have a talk with them. If they can't or won't fix it, find another host.

siera omega

as I opened the tread last time ..... I did not see the new page > so my reply was actually for > emanuel !
the last entry on the 1. page  there ......

I can not see any problems with the operation of the forum > it self !
so .... just turning off those messages would solve the problem

I have been talking to my host ... they say > I should re install the smf
but this is no alternative ....

can I just turn off those error messages some where ?

and changing my host is no alternative > right now .....
but if the probleme can not be fixed with out > I will have to delete the smf !

there are many others available .... working with the same host !

emanuele

Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of the topic...

Quote from: siera omega on April 24, 2012, 04:13:54 AM
I can not see any problems with the operation of the forum > it self !
so .... just turning off those messages would solve the problem
That is not true: it could be a problem that shows up only once in a while and so maybe when you are on the forum it works, but 10 minutes later it has problems.
But, even if I don't agree with it, it's your call to stick your head into the sand.

If you have SMF 1.1 open Subs-Auth.php and search for the line:
@mail($webmaster_email, $mbname . ': SMF Database Error!', 'There has been a problem with the database!' . ($mysql_error == '' ? '' : "\nMySQL reported:\n" . $mysql_error) . "\n\nThis is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.");
and replace it with:
// @mail($webmaster_email, $mbname . ': SMF Database Error!', 'There has been a problem with the database!' . ($mysql_error == '' ? '' : "\nMySQL reported:\n" . $mysql_error) . "\n\nThis is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.");

If you have SMF 2.0 open Errors.php, search for:
@mail($webmaster_email, $mbname . ': SMF Database Error!', 'There has been a problem with the database!' . ($db_error == '' ? '' : "\n" . $smcFunc['db_title'] . ' reported:' . "\n" . $db_error) . "\n\n" . 'This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.');
and replace it with
// @mail($webmaster_email, $mbname . ': SMF Database Error!', 'There has been a problem with the database!' . ($db_error == '' ? '' : "\n" . $smcFunc['db_title'] . ' reported:' . "\n" . $db_error) . "\n\n" . 'This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.');

Quote from: siera omega on April 24, 2012, 04:13:54 AM
I have been talking to my host ... they say > I should re install the smf
but this is no alternative ....
Why, if I may ask you?
If you need practical help in trying to "clean up" the board and try to fix the issue feel free to ask.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

siera omega

there are no more error messages ......

my host has finnally solved the problem >
it was not his own hard ware park >
but out side > on a farmed out data base !

thanks a lot for all your help .....

Advertisement: