News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Show Active Members on Board Index?

Started by BigMike, August 04, 2006, 02:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMike

Hey SMF

I searched a couple of pages in using a couple different terms and nothing came up.

I am looking for a way to tally up and show how many of my forum's members are actually "Active" members.

There could be a simple option in the Features and Options section such as "How many days since last log-on to be considered active?" And perhaps the default # would be 31. Then, on my board index, to the right of my " Most Online Today... Most Online Ever...." there could be "Active Forum Members...." which would just give a # of members who have logged in at least once during the past 31 days.

If this mod is already available, link me up!!

BigMike

For instance my forum may have 6,000 members, but maybe only 500 of them are actually regular members who frequent my forum in 'x' number of days. I would love to know that number

Vinspire

BigMike

Vinspire-

Thankyou for the link. I checked it out, but it is different than what I am looking for..

Let me get a screen shot from another forum as an example........ brb

BigMike

Here ya go :P

This is actually from a small competitors forum running vB 3.5.4, started about 8 months ago

My forum has 6,078 members, but I wonder really how many of those members have even been on my forum in the past 2 months. ???

BigMike

I just checked that out and I am not sure, but I believe that mod will show which users were online each day. It's a nice mod, but I don't think I could convert it to check the last log in date for each member to see how many members have been active...

Maybe I will start coding it and then request help in the coding forum. I am really busy at work right now, and college is starting back up so I'll be pretty busy for at least a month.

I'll let ya know when I start making this mod.

Thanks for the links and your time Vinspire

BigMike

JayBachatero

It's easy.  In Admin > Features and Options > Online threshold.

Ok so its 2 months wich equal ~60 day.  24 hours in a day.  60 mins in an hour so.  60 * 24 = 1440 minutes.  1440 minutes * 60 days = 86400.  Enter that in tht field.  I'll give it a try on my site also.  Remember that it will start logging it AFTER you make the change.  i have my site set or 1440 = 1 day.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

BigMike

Quote from: Jay The Code Monkey on August 09, 2006, 02:08:35 AM
It's easy.  In Admin > Features and Options > Online threshold.

Ok so its 2 months wich equal ~60 day.  24 hours in a day.  60 mins in an hour so.  60 * 24 = 1440 minutes.  1440 minutes * 60 days = 86400.  Enter that in tht field.  I'll give it a try on my site also.  Remember that it will start logging it AFTER you make the change.  i have my site set or 1440 = 1 day.

hmmmmmm......... Well, that would work if I could duplicate the code and then use it as a counter to display the results as a single integer. I have mine set at 60 mins right now and I would like to keep that as well.

I wonder how much of a load that would have on the server........?

JayBachatero

I'm not really sure how bad that would be on th server but IMO is not a good thing.  The users online mod places a good amount of load on the server also.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

BigMike

Quote from: Illori on March 15, 2012, 05:50:19 PM
What Happened?

QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Illori

Kindred

It is unlikely this will ever be implemented as a feature
1- in 6 years, only you have asked for it.
2- there are definite server performance concerns
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

BigMike

Thank you for your reply. Your first point is more than understandable and reasonable. But as for your 2nd point, the vB software is able to achieve this, and unless they have much higher system requirements than SMF, I don't see their sites overloading, locking up and crashing as a result (otherwise it wouldn't be a feature).

Illori

but smf is not VB, and our code is not the same as theirs, so we dont have to do what they do and our methods would never be the same as they use.

BigMike

Quote from: Illori on March 16, 2012, 05:24:54 AM
but smf is not VB, and our code is not the same as theirs, so we dont have to do what they do and our methods would never be the same as they use.
Thanks for your reply, but Wow! talk about missing the train :D I am sorry you don't see how proud SMF users can be.

Advertisement: