Session Verification Failed Error - $150 reward

Started by Frustrated2012, March 21, 2012, 12:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frustrated2012

Hello,

I finished installing the SMF forum version 1.1.16 on a brand new openSUSE 12.1 server. But, it doesn't work. I want version 1.1.16 and i want it installed on openSUSE 12.1  If anyone can get it working, I will PayPal you $150. (EDIT: changed reward from $100 to $150)

This is what i did so far:
1. Installed openSUSE 12.1 on a brand new server.
2. Installed LAMP with the following commands:
  yast2 -i mysql mysql-client mysql-community-server
  systemctl start mysql.service
  yast2 -i apache2
  systemctl start apache2.service
  (then i went into yast2 firewall and enabled web service)
  yast2 -i apache2-mod_php5 php5-mysql
  systemctl restart apache2.service
3. Downloaded smf_1-1-16_install.tar.gz into /srv/www/htdocs/forums/ and Uncompressed it
4. Created a database in MySQL named 'smf' and gave a new user named 'agricola' all privileges with these commands:
  Create Database smf;
  Grant All on smf.* to agricola@localhost;
  Flush Privileges;
5. Confirmed that php.ini and my server meets the correct requirements as outlined here:
  http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=9
6. Ran 108.166.96.44/forums/install.php in my web browser.
  and successfully made it through all the steps achieving "Installation Sucessful"

BUT, the forum doesn't work. You cannot make any posts in the forum. You can witness this yourself by logging in as user admin with password admin at
108.166.96.44/forums/ 
It says, "Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message."
Additionally, you cannot register as a new user since it won't display the Verification Letters; and Additionally after logging in as Admin, you cannot log out.

You can see php.info [nofollow] by going to 108.166.96.44/index.php

If someone has experience fixing this sort of problem, email me at [email protected] and I will give you the server's root password. Then you can SSH into the server and fix the forum. If you can successfully get the forum working, then I will PayPal you $150.  You must remember and tell me the steps you used to get it from the current broken state to a fixed state because I will need to duplicate the process on another server. (You receive the reward for fixing the first server regardless of whether the second server gets fixed also.)

Ashley S

Seems to be working for me, have you fixed this?

Shambles

As it's not possible to get into the ACP, and entering Admin login details takes two tries, this link seems to be the closest match (with possible fix) to your issue, regarding database driven sessions.

It's the best I could find using "Session verification failed." in a search for a fresh installation under SMF 1.* Support.

Have a ganders.

Shambles

Actually, where's your Settings.php gone? Seems to be empty. Can you reupload that file and also repair_settings.php

Get repair_settings.php

Frustrated2012

Quote from: Ashley S on March 21, 2012, 01:42:02 PM
Seems to be working for me, have you fixed this?
No, it has not been fixed. When this gets fixed, I will post a message here saying this issue has been fixed.

I am surprised it works for you. I have had over 100 different users test it and it doesn't work for any of them. If it works for you, show me by making a post there. Start a new thread, or make a reply to the welcome thread.

Frustrated2012

Quote from: Shambles on March 21, 2012, 02:55:24 PM
As it's not possible to get into the ACP, and entering Admin login details takes two tries, this link seems to be the closest match (with possible fix) to your issue, regarding database driven sessions.

It's the best I could find using "Session verification failed." in a search for a fresh installation under SMF 1.* Support.

Have a ganders.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried this. It does not solve the problem. I have also searched the internet and tried every suggestion I found (there are about a dozen suggestions out there). None of them help.

(I will mention that I tried installing SMF 2.0.2 the same way I installed 1.1.16 and it makes same errors. So, this isn't just an SMF 1.* problem.)

Frustrated2012

Quote from: Shambles on March 21, 2012, 03:06:33 PM
Actually, where's your Settings.php gone? Seems to be empty. Can you reupload that file and also repair_settings.php

Get repair_settings.php
You can not view a PHP file by requesting it with your web browser. If you would like to see what's written in the PHP file, I made a copy as a TXT file. You can view it here:

108.166.96.44/forums/Settings.txt

As for repair_settings.php, there is nothing to repair. This is a fresh installation. But, I have used repair_settings.php and it didn't help.

Kermit

I would suggest ,that you never share Settings.php file of your site in any form,as this file contains all database information,that's why i edited your post and as i saw from that file,the database password column was empty which would cause,that your site is not able to connect with database servers,just for any case check all those database information once more

Those lines are which you need to check in Settings.php

########## Database Info ##########
$db_server =
$db_name =
$db_user =
$db_passwd =
$db_prefix =
My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

Matthew K.

Kermit

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on March 22, 2012, 02:53:18 AM
Maybe look for a Settings.php~?

There could be only Settings_bak.php file Lab,as no any mod edits this file,there would be no any Backup of this file with ~ ending  ::)
My Mods
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

Frustrated2012

Quote from: Kermit on March 22, 2012, 02:51:44 AM
I would suggest ,that you never share Settings.php file of your site in any form,as this file contains all database information,that's why i edited your post and as i saw from that file,the database password column was empty which would cause,that your site is not able to connect with database servers,just for any case check all those database information once more
Thank you for the suggestion. But, the forum connects to the MySQL database fine. When a SMF forum can not connect, it will say so when you try to access the forum's index page. That is not the case here. Yes, the database user has a blank password, but that doesn't affect anything.

I modified my post above to show my Settings.php file once again. There is no security risk. You can not log into my MySQL remotely, you must first SSH into my server. Also, this server is a dummy server. The server and IP address will be destroyed once this problem is fixed.

Additionally, I have cloned this server 12 times. Each clone has its own IP address and each clone has the same broken forum (with all references to its IP address fixed). I am still waiting for people to email me ([email protected]) or PM me. Once they do, I will give them the SSH password to one of the 12 clones so they can log in and try to fix my forum. The first person to fix my forum receives $100.

Kermit

It would be good,if you can send a pm to one of our team members with a test ftp account,so we can have a look what could be wrong
My Mods

A. Einstein

Dzonny

Hello there.

If you're asking for paid job maybe it would be better to move this topic to Help Wanted (not for support) if you don't mind?

We can try to help you here as well, but if you still want paid help the best is to move topic as suggested.

You can also consider to send your ftp details to someone who can help, like Kermit said.

Regards.

Frustrated2012

Quote from: Kermit on March 22, 2012, 11:21:04 AM
It would be good,if you can send a pm to one of our team members with a test ftp account,so we can have a look what could be wrong
Who are your team members? (Since I don't know, I just sent a PM to you with the info.) Instead of a test FTP account, can I just PM them my root's SSH password? (These machines are temporary clones, it doesn't matter if they mess them up). After receiving an SSH login, they can use SCP instead of FTP.

Frustrated2012

Quote from: Dzonny on March 22, 2012, 12:36:22 PM
Hello there.

If you're asking for paid job maybe it would be better to move this topic to Help Wanted (not for support) if you don't mind?

We can try to help you here as well, but if you still want paid help the best is to move topic as suggested.

You can also consider to send your ftp details to someone who can help, like Kermit said.

Regards.
Can I post a thread in both places? I would love to have maximum exposure. I need this problem fixed quickly. Hundreds of people are waiting for a solution.

I posted it here because I thought it may be a simple install problem and perhaps someone will post a quick solution. The solution seems like it should be simple; I just want the basic forum to install and run on a linux server.

live627

Frustrated2012

Quote from: live627 on March 22, 2012, 07:30:12 PM
I sent you a PM
Thanks live627. I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. I PMed you back with some more info.

Frustrated2012

Thank you everyone who has made suggestions and thought about my problem.

I have increased the reward from $100 to $150. Also, I have posted a link to this thread in Help Wanted here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=472053.0

Frustrated2012

Thank you everyone. This problem has been solved. I will post the solution shortly.

Frustrated2012

SMF Community Forum User "Douglas" received $150.
The following suggestions of his fixed the problem:

==============================
php.ini file: /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

Make the following changes to reflect the values below:

session.save_path = "/tmp" (Even though you're using DB sessions, a world writable folder is still needed)
session.entropy_file = (90% of people don't even need this)
session.entropy_length = (90% of people don't even need this)
session.gc_divisor = 100 (This is a reduction down from 1000)
session.hash_function = 0 (sha256 is a bit overkill and is generally reserved for gov't institutions)

Once done, please execute this command:
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Anything inside of ()'s is my comments as to each item and should NOT be included inside of php.ini.
==============================

Advertisement: