2.0.2. forum doesn't have connection to simplemachines.org

Started by iixparadoxii, April 03, 2012, 09:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iixparadoxii

Hi. I have SMF 1.1.14. as www.myforum.com, now i decided to install new forum 2.0.2. as www.myforum.com/newforum
So old one is still working and new one also.. but now I have some problems.. fresh, new installed 2.0.2. forum unable to connect to simplemachines.org, so I can't manage languages, mods, packages from administrator panel.. also have error - "You are unable to connect to simplemachines.org's latest news file." + forum can't check new forum versions etc.. showing "?"...
I tried to look for solution in seach, but wihtout success.. I tried to run "Fetch Simple Machines Files" in "Scheduled Tasks" menu.. it doesn't help.

In error logs i get:
http://myforum.lv/newforum/index.php?action=admin;area=scheduledtask
Could not retrieve the file http://www.simplemachines.org/smf/current-version.js?version=SMF+2.0.2.

I have checked the connection in old forum www.myforum.com.. and it has connection with simplemachines.org..

How could I solve this problem? Hope someone can advice something..

pkrack

Is it continuously disconnected? Also try installing a new test forum and check what it says.

iixparadoxii

Quote from: pkrack on April 03, 2012, 10:02:07 AM
Is it continuously disconnected? Also try installing a new test forum and check what it says.
Yes, it's continuosly disconnected.
Ok, I will try to install third forum at the same directory www.myforum.com/newforum2
But i am not sure that anything will be better there, because this new 2.0.2. is today, freshly installed. MAy it be because I installed this second , new forum not at host's root directory, but at old forum root directory, just creating special folder "newforum"?

P.s. "newforum" folder permissions are the same as root directory (where is placed old forum and newforum folder) folder permission - 755.

Or maybe it's not possible while old forum connect to simplemachines, the new one can't connect at the same time? (as botch forums are at same root directory of host)

ziycon

Have you tried going to Admin > Scheduled Tasks and running the task 'Fetch Simple Machines Files' manually? Does it fix the issue?

iixparadoxii

2pkrack

tried to install new forum again.. and again no connection with simplemachines.

2ziycon

As I said it in first topic - yes, i tried to run fetch.. without any success.

P.S. Also tried to install lang pack at Package manager (uploaded pack from my computer and got message :Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.")

Permissions for "Packages" directory are 755, but I didnt find "temp" directory.. then created folder with such name and still can't  install manually lang pack..

May be those 2 problems are somehow connected..

pkrack

Do the file permissions for packages directory and files in it is rewriteable i.e 755 for folders and 666 for files. Are you installing your forum via some auto installer? Or installing same copy again and again.

iixparadoxii

Quote from: pkrack on April 03, 2012, 12:30:56 PM
Do the file permissions for packages directory and files in it is rewriteable i.e 755 for folders and 666 for files.
yes (btw for files its 644.. but changing to 666 doesn't change anything).

Are you installing your forum via some auto installer? Or installing same copy again and again.
I install clear version.. downloaded it from smf and then unarchived and upload all files from pc to host server via filezilla. Then install.. Difference from old working forum is forum version (2.0.2 vs 1.1.16) and direction of forum files (host root directory and host root directory + 1 folder named "newforum", where I upload all new, clear forum files and folders).

ziycon

Do you have access to a command prompt on your server? Can you try and ping or run a tracert to simplemachines.org and let us know what response you get. If you don't know how to do this then you might want to ask your hosting company nicely to check it for you.

pkrack

@ziycon you mean ssh ? I think his server is ok because his old forum  was fetching the file

ziycon

Quote from: pkrack on April 04, 2012, 04:25:57 AM
@ziycon you mean ssh ? I think his server is ok because his old forum  was fetching the file
Not necessarily SSH, if its a windows box it would be a cmd window. There is no harm in ruling it out as a point of failure, it helps narrow down possibilities as to the cause.

iixparadoxii

Ok, guys, tnx for replies.
I've solved my problem.
Wrote to my host and described the problem, they said that by default such output connection are not allowed, so they changed their settings for me and now my forum is connected to simplemachines (after running fetch).
Strange, that 1.1.16 forum worked even before.. but most important is that now new forum is working. =)

pkrack

May be there is a difference betwen the fetching of file in the ways used by both smf versions. Any how glad to hear that. Good luck

Advertisement: