News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Single Post Backup?

Started by Fearless Freap, April 10, 2012, 12:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fearless Freap

I don't know if this is available or even possible, but I was wondering if there is such a thing as a single post backup?

I have a SMF forum with lots of photos located within a particular post.  Some of these posts have many pages, and to go through each page to save each photo is excruciatingly slow.  I'd love to have an administrative button that would take each attachment within that specific post and save the actual file complete with original file name to a specified folder.

I know you can do a complete backup of the attachments folder, but there is no way of determining which file goes where... the server changes the file name as well so there is no way to view the file either.

Would something like that be possible, and would others find that beneficial?

Thanks,

-Steve

kat

Quote from: Fearless Freap on April 10, 2012, 12:42:06 PMthe server changes the file name as well so there is no way to view the file either.

If it helps, at all, there IS a way of viewing the file. Only if you download it, though.

If you open the file with IRFANVIEW, it'll open the file and even offer to change the extension to the correct one.

I know that's not what you want. But, does it, at least, help, a bit?

Fearless Freap

That helps... I think I can use that.  Thanks for the tip.

NekoJonez

Is it also possible to do this for a single topic?
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Colin

Do you mean taking a back up of an entire thread?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NekoJonez

Quote from: Colin on April 15, 2012, 01:23:32 AM
Do you mean taking a back up of an entire thread?
Yes. That is exactly what I mean
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

Kindred

I, honestly, can not see this as being at all useful for the wide audience. It seems to be a very specific request that I have never seen anyone ask for before... Nor would most admins have an use for it. We either back up the entire forum or not... A single post seems rather pointless.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Colin

I don't see this being helpful either. If you need to though you can simply pull the data from the database manually.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Fearless Freap

Actually I would see it a beneficial...

Here's why...

On my forum, which is more photo based versus text based, I can have a large number of attachments and replies.  The system takes the attachment, changes the file name and stores it with no file type (Example .jpg .tff .png)

There is no way to line up the attachments to the server file that is simple and easy.  So I have to manually download each file which takes a long time.  You can back up the attachment directory but how easy is it to locate the original file, find the server equivalent and convert it back for 60+ attachments per each thread?

To have a button or an option that says, download all attachments of a thread can't be that hard to create.

Kindred

yes, it might be possible - but you put it into the feature requests section. This,more properly, should be a mod, since I can only see 1% if that of the forums needing something like this.
(after all, most forums do not have 60+ attachments per thread. Honestly, if you do, then I might suggest using one of the donwload or gallery add-ons or something other than a forum)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Fearless Freap

OK, as a mod then... I guess that would make more sense.  Being only focused on what I experience, I don't consider the overall scope of the forum software.  Thanks.

-Steve

emanuele

Do you want the topic moved to mod requests or do you want to open a new one?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Fearless Freap

I'll open a new one.  Thanks for asking!

-Steve

Advertisement: