News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

MySQL server has gone away

Started by Chalky, April 11, 2012, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

What does this mean and how do I fix it?  My site has been really slow for the last ten minutes or so and now I have this error on a white screen.  Please help, I'm panicking.

Edit:  I've just managed to load a page but it's so slow I could brew a cup of tea while it's loading one page....

Another error:
Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, boolean given in /home/content/28/7418528/html/sabrinova/Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php on line 139.

Line 139 is the one with sprintf in it:

switch ($matches[1])
{
case 'int':
if (!is_numeric($replacement) || (string) $replacement !== (string) (int) $replacement)
smf_db_error_backtrace('Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (' . $matches[2] . ')', '', E_USER_ERROR, __FILE__, __LINE__);
return (string) (int) $replacement;
break;

case 'string':
case 'text':
return sprintf('\'%1$s\'', mysql_real_escape_string($replacement, $connection));
break;

Chalky

Do I need to phone the bastards?  I hate phoning them because it never seems to be anything they can do.  If I hadn't been tricked into paying two years up front, I'd tell them to shove it.

Chalky

Jakob Fel

*Facepalm* GoDaddy is ridiculous. Don't they have a support ticket system though? If you don't like speaking to them over the phone, you could send them a ticket. :)
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

Chalky

Thanks.  They do have email support but the wait time can be several hours and I've never had a useful answer from them yet when I've used it, so the phone seems the better option.  I'm actually with a GoDaddy subsidiary called Domains Priced Right.  I was happy enough with my Wordpress hosting so when I bought my forum domain from them and they wanted to upgrade me to the Deluxe hosting plan, I went along with it, until 2015!!!  But of course performance issues are far more evident with a forum than a blog, and what stresses me out is - if it's running like an arthritic old lady now with only four members, what the hell will it be like if we actually become popular!!!

Anyway, I've called them and the guy said it's running slow because the shared server is doing a lot of work at the moment, but that it's already been "flagged up" and they're working on it.  Then he told me I'd be better with a virtual dedicated server, blah blah blah, which of course, costs more money than the huge amount I've already paid them.  Though he did say that if I upgrade to a dedicated server then they would refund me the time I have left on this hosting plan, which I suppose is more than they would do if I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and found myself a proper hosting company instead.  Grrrrr....

Sorry, I'm a bit wound up, can you tell?  ::)

ashish101

I would suggest to move to better hosting asap. There are a few good ones in Paid Hosting board. I can endorse CoreISP (dedicatedbox.us), been with them for long time, very reliable and good service.

Good luck.

Colin

Quote from: Sabrinova on April 11, 2012, 02:52:13 PM
Thanks.  They do have email support but the wait time can be several hours and I've never had a useful answer from them yet when I've used it, so the phone seems the better option.  I'm actually with a GoDaddy subsidiary called Domains Priced Right.  I was happy enough with my Wordpress hosting so when I bought my forum domain from them and they wanted to upgrade me to the Deluxe hosting plan, I went along with it, until 2015!!!  But of course performance issues are far more evident with a forum than a blog, and what stresses me out is - if it's running like an arthritic old lady now with only four members, what the hell will it be like if we actually become popular!!!

Anyway, I've called them and the guy said it's running slow because the shared server is doing a lot of work at the moment, but that it's already been "flagged up" and they're working on it.  Then he told me I'd be better with a virtual dedicated server, blah blah blah, which of course, costs more money than the huge amount I've already paid them.  Though he did say that if I upgrade to a dedicated server then they would refund me the time I have left on this hosting plan, which I suppose is more than they would do if I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and found myself a proper hosting company instead.  Grrrrr....

Sorry, I'm a bit wound up, can you tell?  ::)

Yikes, sounds likes time to switch hosts.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Chalky

Thanks all :)  Actually since my telephone call to them where they said they couldn't do anything about the error, I haven't seen that message again once!  Maybe my breakdown into female hysterics did some good after all ;)

If I see it again though I will check out the instructions from that link - thank Yoshi :)

Yes, I am with GoDaddy, but as I have already paid my subs until 2015, there isn't much I can do about it.  At least I do have access to everything and full control of my files and database, I don't seem to be seeing error messages anymore and most of the time it goes at normal speed.  I have embarked on a new strategy of phoning them to report every go-slow or server timed out moment, so that they can build up a nice little log of any problems they give me, and my co-admin has the phone number and access codes too so she can do the same while I'm at work ;)

So for now we're good  :D

Advertisement: