News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Forbidden 403

Started by hayley2007, April 12, 2012, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayley2007

My forum got upgraded to 2.0.2 recently from 1.0.8 (!!)

We have left it a few days before adding modifications as we were having server troubles.

So tonight i started trying to add packages and it wouldnt work as it was saying my packages folder wasnt writeable (although i checked and it was, v.puzzling) I kept trying to 'custom' change the packages folder to 0755 and it wouldnt.

so then i moved the little circle to 'read' and clicked' make changes'

My forum got 403'd :(

Now the details i have for the server packages info does not somehow work in my ftp. Other admin has just started an 11hr nightshift so im pretty much screwed until he gets back or if anyone can help *pretty please?*

MrPhil

Remember that many servers are configured to silently ignore permission change (chmod) requests from FTP clients. Try using your hosting service's control panel file manager to change permissions.

755 will often work (PHP running as owner). If it doesn't, try 775 (PHP running in your group). As a last resort, 777 (but change back to 755 when you're done with your updates/installs). You may need a temp directory under packages -- does one exist and have proper permissions? Also check the ownership of any new directories you've created -- it should be the same as the rest of your SMF files.

If your forum got 403'd, see if perhaps your host revoked permissions (000) because they thought someone was attacking (hacking) it. At any rate, check the permissions for any file you get a 403 on. Files are usually 644.

hayley2007

The thing is, i cant get on the ftp or the cpanel with the login i used on the packages tab which i find odd, so i cant change any more permissions.

You may be right the server is very tight in security so its stopped what i was doing as a precaution. Either way i cant fix it now as my login wont work to the cpanel/ftp :(

Will have to put up with unhappy members tweeting me all night :(

thanks for replying

Norv

Please, do contact your host at this point, it sounds like only they may fix this stage.

I will move this to bug reports because it sounds similar to another one we had, and it's just too damaging: it is highly likely to be due to server config, but also to SMF buggy behavior on file/folder permissions.

I'd appreciate if you can tell: who your host is, what do they say, that the permissions allowed are (for files, respectively for folders), and what exactly is the situation they find: why the 403 error, and why can't you login.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Arantor

Advertisement: