News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Error: "Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'" when going to domain

Started by codetrucker, April 13, 2012, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codetrucker

First off, Thank you for the help!  I am very grateful this forum exists.  :)

Secondly, I may have "built" my forum, but I am far from an "Admin" even though I wear the badge and all I know about "PHP" is how to (sometimes) check values in specific fields.  I generally know my way around some syntax, but aside from checking values, I can not troubleshoot.  I apologize in advance for my ignorance, especially in not being able to provide better starting information and will be happy to be you "eyes" and "ears."  Please ask very specific questions and I will try to give specific answers, but I may have to ask you to explain your question too.  Keep in mind it is a private family forum with a lot of personal discussions and information.  I will not be able to provide a "guest" login, besides since the only thing I get when I try to go to the domain is an error I could not create a login if I wanted to.

My general issue arises from trying to migrate an old family forum database to a new SMF forum via BlueDomino's "Simple Scripts" SMF forum-building tool.  The fact is I thought I had lost my forum over a year ago(?) and only yesterday got a clue it might be possible to restore it.  I spent several hours with BlueDomino tech support and finally processed a ticket to send to the engineers.  Here is the quote of their reply...

The wrong entry in Simple Scripts is fixed. Now the Simple Scripts shows the URL hxxp://www.tradesmantransport.com/ . Please check it.

Once the database is created, you cannot rename it. You need to create a new database.

Regarding to the issue with the website hxxp://www.tradesmantransport.com/ , the error 'Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'' indicates that the issue is due to customization to the application or database. You need fix the issue from your end or you need to contact the application provider.

Frankly, I do not really understand all this and when I asked for a clarification they essentially sent the same message back. ???  I tried to go through the DB and delete the "add_deny" fields, but to no avail.  Further, I compared it with the fields from another working forum I have and the "add_deny"

Error -> Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'
Domain -> hxxp://www.tradesmantransport.com
Pointer -> My BlueDomino Pointing Manager is set to "Subdirectory" and that subdirectory is "/GFFforum"

I have exhausted my own ideas and searched the error on your forum with no results.  So, where do we go from here?

[Note: I tried to post this with links for your convenience, but this was not allowed.  If you cut/paste, you will need to correct the "hxxp" to "http", but I'll bet you knew that already.  :)

kat

If I was in your position, I think I'd say "Stuff it. Why not upgrade to the recent version?".

Depending on which version you're using, now, it would probably cure that error, at the same time. ;)

codetrucker

Quote from: K@ on April 13, 2012, 04:09:04 PM

If I was in your position, I think I'd say "Stuff it. Why not upgrade to the recent version?".

Depending on which version you're using, now, it would probably cure that error, at the same time. ;)

I'm game and I am inclined to agree with you.  I'm sure you know what you are talking about, but I don't understand.  :-[  How can I update to the new forum if I can't even get in?   ???

So, where do we go from here?  By the way, I *DO* appreciate your help.

kat

codetrucker

Maybe I missed this part, but I did install a new forum with Simple Scripts and then imported the old database.  I wonder if I need to install a 1.x forum, import and then upgrade?  FYI - I understand the concept, but not the exact actions required.

Thoughts?

codetrucker

Quote from: K@ on April 13, 2012, 04:20:13 PM
First off, which version do you currently have?

If you are referring to the version of the forum, the BlueDomino>>SimpleScripts console shows 2.0.2.

Do you need the "version" of the DB?  If so, please advise how I can retrieve it for you.

kat

In that case, you can't upgrade, coz v2.0.2 is the latest one.

Might be best to start the software side from scratch, then.

First off, I'd back everything up, so you have something to fall back on.

Then, I'd use this:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-2_upgrade.zip

and do this:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

to get it up to speed. Your posts/members/etc. will still be there. :)

Any mods you had'll get fried, of course.

They'll still be in "Packages", though. They'll just need to be reapplied.

codetrucker

Thanks.  So, a retro-install of 1.x won't work, eh?  Fortunately, I had no mods. 
Ok, I'll run through those steps and report back.   :)

kat

Sadly not. The v2 database simply won't work with v1 software. :(

Pity, really, coz I actually prefer the v1 branch, myself. ;)

'course, if you want to start-over, delete the bloody lot and go for it!

v1.1.16 install is here:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-16_install.zip

codetrucker

Quote from: K@ on April 13, 2012, 04:41:50 PM
Sadly not. The v2 database simply won't work with v1 software. :(
Pity, really, coz I actually prefer the v1 branch, myself. ;)
The original forum DB was populated with the 1.x SMF.  Maybe why it won't mate with the 2.0 SMF?

Quote'course, if you want to start-over, delete the bloody lot and go for it!

v1.1.16 install is here:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-16_install.zip
Oooo! that looks scary, but I guess I won't have any choice.  Before I head off on this adventure, can you tell me if it makes sense to...

• Reinstall the 1.x SMF and import the old DB since it was the original framework.
  • Verify it worked.
  • Upgrade the forum to 2.0.2 SMF.  I'm hoping this will port over the old DB and reformat it for 2.0.2 SMF.

Am I making sense or am I completely lost?

kat

Ah, right.

Yeah, if your db is still on v1.x, you should be able to run the upgrade to v1.1.16, using this:

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-16_upgrade.zip

That'll upgrade any v1 version to v1.1.16.

It's an absolute doddle, honest.

Download.

Dearchive.

Upload all files (FTP), overwriting what's there.

Point browser to your forum URL /upgrade.php.

Follow onscreen instructions.

Done! :)

codetrucker

Looks like I have my marching orders.   ;)

Unfortunately, real life is calling me and I will have to work on this when I get back in several hours.  I really do appreciate your assistance.  I'd be lost without it!  :o 

I'll keep you in the loop as I proceed.  Take care.

kat

No sweat, mate!

I'm off to bed, as it 'appens. (I'm in ol' Blighty)

I'll catch-up, for sure, in the morning.

codetrucker

Well, I tried my "wild hare" and it worked except the pretty background is gone.  All that is there is text, text as links on a white background, but at least all the data is still intact.  Since I have the DB backup and now understand how to modify the values in "Settings.php" I can forge ahead with impunity.   :)

Next step is to try and upgrade to 2.0.2...

codetrucker

The latest 1.x SMF upgrade in SimpleScripts was to 1.1.13.  Do I need to do a mid-step to 1.1.16 or can I upgrade to 2.0.2?

Seems like I remember reading something about this *somewhere,* but I have read so much in so many places I can't keep straight where things were, but I will keep looking.

kat

The large upgrade...

http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-2_upgrade.zip

has this:

QuoteUsing modifications, or not using SMF 2.0.1? No problem, this is what you need.

What I'd do, is backup the software AND the database, then go for it.

If it squishes, you can restore what you have, use the large upgrade for v1.1.16 http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_1-1-16_upgrade.zip then go for v2.

:)

kat

codetrucker

Quote from: K@ on April 14, 2012, 04:14:54 PM
Man with your superior intellect?

See you in a few minutes. ;)
:laugh:

Well, my "superior intellect" is what got me in this mess in the first place.   :-[

The good news is my forum is breathing again.  The spoiler mode is aparrently gone as are the avatars, but all the data is intact AFAICT. 

Next stop... upgrade!  :o 

Should I try to go ahead and put the avatars/spoiler back in place or just wait until after the upgrade to 2.0.2?

kat

Next step is BACKUP!!!

Then go for the upgrade. ;)

At least, that's what I'd do.

I wouldn't worry about the avatars and mod, now. The upgrade might kill those, anyway.

Advertisement: