News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

UltraBB conversion

Started by Devans, April 13, 2012, 08:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devans

So it was said that UltraBB will no longer do updates to the software. That was enough for me to jump ship. I have a forum with around 4000 active members. I am looking at switching to SMF, but I wondering if anyone has had any success converting their UltraBB database. I have been told by a few people that the WowBB 1.7 converter does work, however it loses some features in the conversion. Does anyone know if this is true? I have over 12,000 topics and nearly 150,000 posts so I would hate to muck about and destroy anything.

Thanks for any advise in advance  :)

Colin

I have no experience with it, but back up your database and try it. If it doesn't work you can easily revert.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Robert.

Welcome to SMF! :) Unfortunately there are no converters for UltraBB yet, but here's what you can do: use the UltraBB - PhpBB converter (If they have one, I'm not sure about that). Then you can use the PhpBB - SMF converter in order to convert your forum to SMF. :) Or just use the WowBB converter, but make sure to backup your forum in both cases. Good luck and keep us updated :)

Colin

Quote from: 医生唱片骑师 on April 14, 2012, 01:58:35 AM
Welcome to SMF! :) Unfortunately there are no converters for UltraBB yet, but here's what you can do: use the UltraBB - PhpBB converter (If they have one, I'm not sure about that). Then you can use the PhpBB - SMF converter in order to convert your forum to SMF. :) Or just use the WowBB converter, but make sure to backup your forum in both cases. Good luck and keep us updated :)
Good point. Didn't think of that.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

I moved this topic to Converting to SMF.

Be careful with converters, I've seen them occasionally break SMF forums. The phpBB -> SMF converter is pretty stable from what I've seen though.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Devans

Thanks. I think I will find a converter that will go from Ultrabb to something, and then something to SMF. I did a temp install of SMF last night. I really like the ease of mods and themes install.

NanoSector

That's something you can do, and great that you like the mod & theme capability's of SMF :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Devans

well I gave it a shot but I keep getting this error...

Converting group access... Unsuccessful!
This query:
INSERT IGNORE INTO `devans_nagfsmf`.smf_board_permissions
(id_group, id_board, permission)
VALUES
(9, '0', 'view_attachments'),
(9, '0', 'post_attachments'),
(9, '0', 'post_new'),
(9, '0', 'lock_own'),
(9, '0', 'mark_notify'),
(9, '0', 'mark_any_notify'),
(9, '0', 'post_reply_any'),
(9, '0', 'post_reply_own'),
(9, '0', 'modify_own'),
(9, '0', 'delete_own'),
(9, '0', 'poll_post'),
(9, '0', 'poll_add_own'),
(9, '0', 'poll_edit_own'),
(9, '0', 'poll_lock_own'),
(9, '0', 'poll_vote'),
(9, '0', 'poll_view');
Caused the error:
Unknown column 'id_board' in 'field list'

Devans

So it looks like I'm stuck. There isn't any software, that I have found, that coverts to Ultrabb so I can then switch to SMF. I have put in a request for an Ultrabb converter. Does anyone know how that process works? Do I wait to see if anyone picks up the request?

Devans

I dont know exactly how the converter is made, but I do have an extra Ultrabb license that grants me another download of the software. If that is needed for the converter, I would gladly donate it for the converter.

Colin

Yeah, there isn't much you can do unless someone picks up the request to make one. Hopefully that will happen though.

Colin

Devans

I hope so. I really want to get away from UltraBB before it sinks. I've been trying to figure the converter thing, but no luck so far :(

Colin

Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope you get it working soon though.

Colin

Advertisement: