News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Need Shoutbox with way to ban users

Started by ACAMS, April 15, 2012, 05:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACAMS

I have SimplePortal and use their shoutbox, but they have no way to ban users.
Does anybody know of a chatbox I could use to place in a block and be able to ban users?

THANKS

kat

I think I'd be tempted to ask the Simple Portal team if that feature could be added to Simple Portal, myself.

I think they might quite like the idea.

http://www.simpleportal.net

Robert.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll point the team to this topic :)

Eliana Tamerin

The better way is to make a membergroup that does not have access to the Shoutbox (is denied access, not just disallowed), and add people to that group.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

ACAMS

That would work ..... if there was a way to deny access, but if there was a way I would have already done that!

If I make a group and don't give them access, then the way SMF works the post count group that the member is in gives them permission.

Eliana Tamerin

In SP 2.3.5, there are Deny permissions for blocks. You'll have to select Custom permissions, and then you'll be presented with a list of membergroups and the choice to Allow, Disallow or Deny them.

You'll have to upgrade to the latest version of SimplePortal to take advantage of it (it will work with RC2, but just barely), but it is a feature.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

ACAMS

Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned I have SimplePortal 2.3.2

TheListener

QuoteYou'll have to upgrade to the latest version of SimplePortal to take advantage of it (it will work with RC2, but just barely), but it is a feature

ACAMS

I was going to update, but the way SMF works if another mod changes a file, then the package won't uninstall, or install.
I tried to uninstall so I could upgrade and had WAY, WAY too many errors.
I don't remember this happening with vBulletin.
Maybe someday there will be a way to add mods and not mess up so many files.

Kindred

1- upgrade your SMF installation. RC3 is not secure.
2- when you upgrade your SMF installation, you will have to reinstall all mods anyway...   install the new version then.
3- SMF 2.0.x has many hooks and many mods take advantage of those. SMF 2.1 will have many more...  but it is up to the mod authors to use them.

Finally on "messing up" files... I had a test forum on which I installed 160+ mods...   successfully, with only minor manual intervention.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Suki

Quote from: ACAMS on April 17, 2012, 10:25:16 PM
Maybe someday there will be a way to add mods and not mess up so many files.

There is one already: hooks, it will be even better with the next version.

If there is 2 mods with the same features and 1 is using hooks, then I strongly suggest to use the one who uses hooks, less file edits, less headaches for both you and the mod author.

We try to encourage mod authors to use them but we cannot force them, also, there is so many old mods that people still use and cannot be updated because of license issues and all that stuff.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: