SMF 1.1.9 - You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings.

Started by Wabiloo, April 19, 2012, 07:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Hmmm... They have a datacentre not far from me.

Windows or Apache?

kat

BTW, You could always try renaming the cookie, to see if it's that. (Or, maybe, even try a different browser)

If you can get into Admin, you can do that in Server Settings.

If you can't, you'll need to edit Settings.php. (Keep a backup of that file, FFS)

Wabiloo

Apache.

As for renaming the cookie, I've tried that already, by modifying the Settings.php file

kat

Tried a different browser, in case the cookie settings, there, are screwing you?

Wabiloo

Different browsers, different computers, different OSes, different ISPs - all tested, all giving the same problem

Shambles

Quote from: Wabiloo on May 11, 2012, 06:19:55 AM
I did ask, and they are not willing to do it at this stage (although they are going to get a more senior person to review the request)

They should be able to put your forum in a DMZ as my host did, to prove that modsec was indeed causing me similar problems (despite their initial denial).

My forum is now out of the DMZ but with modsec switched off (and all is now well). The modsec logs don't always give your host a view of what its WAF is doing...

MrPhil

If they're so certain that mod security isn't the problem, and unwilling to listen to explanations that SMF doesn't need mod security and that mod security can often cause problems, perhaps you should find a better host? They should be able to let you turn off mod security just for your account, or even just for your SMF installation (if it's in its own subdirectory with own .htaccess file). Maybe the Helpless Desk drone thought you were asking for them to turn it off for everyone.

BTW, 1.1.9 is a bit long of tooth. You may want to think about doing a large upgrade (with database upgrade) to 1.1.16. It's not very likely that will cure whatever this particular problem is, but there's a chance it will.

Wabiloo

To be honest, guys, I have no time for this type of back or forth. I've spent days and days trying to solve this arcane issue, with little help.
In the end, I decided to move to phpBB3. Within 60 minutes, the new phpBB3 forum was installed, all the data succesfully migrated from SMF, including 15000 posts, thousands of users. Now everyone can login, no cookie malarkey issue, and things are faster as well.
So, sorry, but goodbye SMF as far as I'm concerned...

Shambles

Quote from: duuso on September 27, 2012, 06:05:09 AM
I'm having similar problems. I have had SMF 2.02 on Apache (php 5.3) about seven months now ...

You'd be better advised to post in the SMF 2.* Support section (this is SMF 1.* Support) ;)

Advertisement: