Same directories for conversion?

Started by BinkyM, April 22, 2012, 05:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinkyM

Hi, SMF peeps:

I'm currently running Ikonboard 3.1.2a which I've fairly heavily modified. I had about 100K records I need to convert to SMF. I'm trying to run convert.php and I'm getting an error message that makes no sense to me:

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of IkonBoard 3.1.x. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the Database account used does not have permissions to access it.

The error that was received from the Database was: SELECT command denied to user '[SMF dB user name]' for table 'member_profiles'

It makes no sense that the SMF user name is trying to get at the Ikonboard tables because the SMF user doesn't have permissions for that database.

Mrf. Maybe I should give the SMF user access to the Ikonboard table. I'll go give that a try.

Well, that helped a little bit; I have a new error now:

The error that was received from the Database was: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '.member_profiles' at line 2

Great! Neither convert.php nor ikonboard_to_smf.sql has any SQL at line 2, so I don't even know what this is referring to.

So it would appear that the answer to my question is no, they needn't be in the same directory (which is cool, since mine aren't), but I haven't the foggiest notion where to look for try to solve whatever's causing this to fail. I'd sure be grateful for suggestions from people who've been through this before!

Thanks,

Binky

IchBin™

What is the message at the top. It usually starts with saying something like, "Converting Members...". Does it say anything like that?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

BinkyM

Hi, Brad:

I'm still on the page that asks for the deets when I get the error (the one that wants the paths, passwords and so on); it's titled "IkonBoard 3.1.x to SMF Converter," so I've not gotten anywhere like "Converting Members" yet. I guess that's because I'm getting zotzed before a single line of SQL is executing (pout), but like I said, in neither file is there any SQL at line 2, so I'm at a loss!

Binky

IchBin™

My guess is that you aren't putting the proper text in the prefix section. From your error I think it looks like it can't find the proper table name. What are you putting in that section? Does it match what is shown on your database?

Actually, what are you putting in both of these sections?
MySQL database used by IkonBoard:
Prefix used by IkonBoard:

BinkyM

Brad:

QuoteMy guess is that you aren't putting the proper text in the prefix section. From your error I think it looks like it can't find the proper table name. What are you putting in that section? Does it match what is shown on your database?

That's an excellent question. I haven't table prefixes, so I was flummoxed by what to put in that field. I tried leaving that empty and that didn't work, but I believe that didn't work during my first go round when I didn't have my SMF user assigned to my Ikonboard database. The second time around, I tried putting in what MySQL prepends to the names of EVERYTHING, which is "luckybin_"

So I'm looking at my database and there's nothing prepended onto any of my table names but there WAS a good reason that I put "luckybin_" into the prefix field. You hafta believe me, Brad, when I tell you that while I was clicking around looking at my database from various angles that I saw things like "luckybin.member_profiles." I swear!

Alright, so I just tried it with the Prefix field empty, and now I'm getting:

Converting...
Successful.
Recalculating forum statistics...

(blush)

Well, who looks like a big dummy now, Brad, huh?

It's weird, though; it said it was successful in just a second but I have 78,998 records to convert. I'm not sure I believe it. I think I'll go to bed and see what kinda mess I have in the morning (lopsided grin).

But thanks for getting me to take another stab at my prefix field! It looks as if that's what was what was flummoxing me. We'll see what new horrors await me tomorrow! Thanks for holding my hand this far!

Binky

IchBin™

hmm... yeah it should definitely take a little longer than just a second or two. I'd say it didn't complete properly. Let us know how you get along.

BinkyM

Hi, Brad:

Yeah, I woke up today to discover that nothing had happened overnight. The last message I showed you is still on the screen, and when I check the SMF database, nothing's been added.

(And just to be doubly sure, I checked my boardinfo.cgi for a prefix, and nothing's entered there. I knew this anyway because Ikonboard was my first SQL database ever in 2005, and my very next one and all databases afterwards wanted prefixes, and I wondered why my Ikonboard hadn't required one.)

Kay; I'm in the SMF forums now, hoping for a single message to have been transferred by the converter, but no love.

Gonna run it again, but am suddenly struck by the ambiguity of one of the parameters: it's "Path to the uploads directory." I've been assuming it wants the path to the Ikonboards directory (since that one has data in it); could it be asking about the SMF directory (because it wants to put data there)?

Oh. Am looking at the error log right now and see that there's a plethora of errors:

[23-Apr-2012 11:28:20] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  convert_script in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 972
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:20] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 975
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:20] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  convert_script in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 987
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:20] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: result in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 2494
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:20] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  db_fetch_assoc in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 1386
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:20] PHP Fatal error:  Function name must be a string in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 1386
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:26] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  convert_script in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 972
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:26] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 975
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:26] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  convert_script in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 987
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:26] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: result in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 2494
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:26] PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  db_fetch_assoc in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 1386
[23-Apr-2012 11:28:26] PHP Fatal error:  Function name must be a string in /home2/luckybin/path_to/my_forum/convert.php on line 1386

Well, phooey; I'm not gonna debug all *that*. (sigh)

I'm gonna try to run it again.

Oh, *this* is interesting:

Converting...
Converting members...Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (last_login)

At least it tried this time. But boy, is it ever inconsistent!

I'm not to the hair-pulling stage yet! Can you help me get there, Brad?

Binky

IchBin™

I'm sure the path for uploads is the ikonboard path. The script should already know where SMF's stuff is, since it is wrote to convert things into SMF. :)

My guess is that you ran it right this last time. With you getting the wrong value error that means it was actually processing data! :) Although, I'm not sure what the problem is right now. I'll have a look at the script and see if I can tell what's wrong.

ETA: Try the attached file and let me know if you get along any further. If you get further, please post which part is converting ie. (Converting Members...) and what the error is. Thx.

BinkyM

Oh, Bad:

Sad Binky is sad. Not only is my single member gone from my SMF database (the member I test with), but I just attempted to recreate him by reregistering him and upon completion of all the fields got the message:

An Error Has Occurred!
The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: value

Those are the best messages, of course, the ones that make me wanna whip up a martini at 4PM.

Good thing I attempted to do a little housekeeping just now, because I was about to invite the staff from my Ikonboard forums to come make a whole pile of trouble in the SMF forums, to play like monkeys, try to break something before the forums go live once I get the data moved over. Course, at this rate, I won't *have* any data to move over, or any data in the destination forums!

(Yes, I understood that the old data was gonna overwrite the new, fake data, but since nothing ever happened with the conversion, I assumed my pretend data would still be safe, and in fact my messages are intact, and I most certainly assumed I'd be able to make NEW fake data!)

I can haz gin now?

Oh, wait: let's go see what the error log says.

That's no help; it's empty.

Well, I'm off to enter ol' Gordon Freeman by hand. I spose he won't be linked to his forum messages now, but he can make loads of new meaningless messages anyway.

Binky

IchBin™

Yeah that's one of the things I do while testing conversions. I keep a copy of my fresh new SMF database to restore so I can start the conversion over. :) You can have the gin, I'll take the cherry coke! :D If you continue to run into problems, would you like me to try to run the conversion? I'd need a copy of your database to test things on. Please don't post it on the forum though. If it's under 10MB when it's zipped up, you can send it to my email.

BinkyM

That's really sweet of you to offer to try to run the conversion, Brad, but my database isn't under 10MB when it's zipped. It's not even under 25MB when it's zipped. Heck, it's not even under 50. It's 57.3MB. (Remember that there're 79K records in this puppy.)

Hmmm; you just gave me an idea: I think I'll make a copy of the database structure and then import a small handful of records into it, then try the conversion. If that works, then I could do the conversion in chunks, I guess.

No, wait: I can't, can I? Oh, phoo. Unless ... unless I comment out the part of the convert script that empties out the SMF database! Whatcha think?

Binky

IchBin™

I don't think you could do it in chunks. It shouldn't be a problem. I converted a board just a couple of weeks ago with 170K posts. It takes a bit, but it should be able to handle it without problems. If your db is that big zipped, you can always put it up on your site for me to download then send me a link. Then I could just grab it, you can then remove it. Otherwise we are stuck here going back and forth about the errors and trying to make sense of it all. lol

BinkyM

Thanks very much, Brad! I plan to take you up on it. I think I'm gonna wait, though, until the staff and I are finished banging on it and I get all my planned mods in, so that if there's any data corruption, I do it on the test bed and not on the live forums. So soon, kay? And thanks a great big bunch for the offer! I appreciate it a lot!

Binky

Advertisement: