News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New Social Networking Fields on SimpleMachines.org

Started by Angelina Belle, April 24, 2012, 05:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelina Belle

Dear Users,

SimpleMachines.org has grown not just as a forum support community but also as a place to socialize with each other and prove a helping hand to your fellow users. With that in mind, we have now introduced three custom profile fields for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn as they are the most popular social networking sites around. This will allow you to grow your network further and get in touch with fellow forum owners and professionals.

We may even introduce a few more social networking fields in the future, without making the profile area overflow with icons.  We encourage you to add links to your profile and get in touch with other users in the SMF community. We hope that all users will welcome this step towards a more friendly and social community.

We sincerely hope you appreciate it and will use it!

---

If you are interested in making a change like this on your own forum, please read more about Profile Fields for SMF 2.0 in our Online Manual
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

sonficyus

is this option only for SMF 2.0? and When will we meet SMF 2.0 instead of SMF 1.1.2312312?

Thank you for answers...

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Forgot to add this. :)

Please note: These changes are not made to the core functionality of the software. You will not find these custom profile fields added to your profile by default when a fresh copy (any version) of Simple Machines Forum is installed.

Joshua Dickerson

Quote from: sonficyus on April 25, 2012, 03:16:11 PM
is this option only for SMF 2.0?
Yes. However, this blog post was regarding this forum in particular.

Go to your profile to setup your social networking links.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Digharatta

Hi Angelina,

Thank you for your noble efforts.

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on April 24, 2012, 05:06:30 PM
If you are interested in making a change like this on your own forum, please read more about Profile Fields for SMF 2.0 in our Online Manual

I have read it. What can I do next? I have not found such a section in my forum settings.

Best wishes,

Joshua Dickerson

Digharatta, if you are using SMF 2.0, please open a support topic. This feature is not available on SMF 1.1 or 1.0.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Kindred

Quote from: sonficyus on April 25, 2012, 03:16:11 PM
When will we meet SMF 2.0 instead of SMF 1.1.2312312?

Not sure what you mean by this.
SMF 2.0 was released a while ago. Sinc then we have had 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 as security releases.
SMF 2.1 will be the next (semi)major release.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

Its great to see SMF Site finally including social media this is one thing this site has missed out on.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Kindred

well, hey, why not go all the way?

LiveJournal
MySpace
Pinterest
YouTube
Google+
WordPress
etc?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

one step at a time :) we dont want to overwhelm sLeePy do we?
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SleePy

MySpace?  That place still exists :P
Its like AOL of today.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Robert.

I think this is a very nice addition. :) Great news team :D

vbgamer45

I like the fields a lot. Maybe a quick tutorial of if possible include in next release of SMF.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Deaks

Quote from: vbgamer45 on May 08, 2012, 03:16:40 PM
I like the fields a lot. Maybe a quick tutorial of if possible include in next release of SMF.

thats actually a good idea, specially if it is just custom profile fields that are being used.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Matthew K.

Google+ and YouTube would probably be good ones to add, I don't agree with the others, Kindred :P

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

karlbenson

Google+ would be good.

But generally speaking it would be good also have Google +1 Buttons on each page so topics can be rated.

Matthew K.

It'd also be good if we could put some sort of mask on the fields that strips the domain if people enter it. I've seen a couple of people that put the full URL, so the URL breaks because it's doubled.

Srinib

How come i can't find those three(Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter) in the Forum profile in my forum? My forum runs on 2.0.2. And so is SMF. But i see those details in my SMF account.

Arantor

Because you have to add them yourself.

All that has happened is the team has used the custom profile fields feature in SMF to add them to this forum and it's not hard to do the same for your own forum.

Advertisement: