Overwrite Database Files?

Started by DesD, April 25, 2012, 01:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesD

Hi all,

I have a query that I hope you offer me some advice with.  :)

I have operated an SMF forum for close to six years and it has close to 9k members and just under 200k posts in 8000 topics.

I am in the process of moving to a new dedicated server and my hosting company have today handed me access to test my forum on the new server, but my data is now a week out of date in comparison with what is currently live on my old dedicated server.

So I want to backup my smf forum data and tables from my old server and restore on my new server.

I've been able to backup on the old server via smf admin, which created 1 sql file, with a size of just under 15mb.

I have also been able to locate the database files on my old server and the database files on the new server.

I'm pretty inexperienced with phpadmin, so my newbie question is as follows:-

1)  If I copy the files (largely in the forum of .myd, .myi and .frm files) from my old server, overwriting the appropriate files on my new server - will that lead to my data updating on my forum?  I suspect this option is probably too good to be true, so if your answer is no, then.....

2)  Does my 15mb sql backup file mentioned above, sound approximately the correct size for a database of my size?  It would be good to know that the smf admin update I have carried out has worked correctly.

3)  How would I use that sql file to update the data on my new server via phpadmin?

All responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Des.

Looking

I would backup from phpmyadmin.

Are you going from Cpanel to Cpanel server? If so the process can be automated.

DesD

Quote from: Looking on April 25, 2012, 01:12:15 PM
I would backup from phpmyadmin.

Are you going from Cpanel to Cpanel server? If so the process can be automated.

Thanks for your answer.

Are you saying that my option 1) above is a definite non runner?

I have access to both the server desktop and the plesk control panel.  I access phpadmin via plesk.

I have downloaded some basic table data via phpadmin in the past, but it is not clear to me how to upload the smf backup file.  It would be great if you could advise, or provide a link. 

Many thanks,

Des.

Advertisement: