News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Remove smf search

Started by MoinFaraz, April 26, 2012, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoinFaraz

Hey all,

I did some research before starting this thread, but can't seem to find a thread which is close to what i am looking for.

SMF URL :: Click here

Issue :: need to remove smf search from the top right corner (below logo)

Tried admin > search > search settings / setting search permissions for customer groups, but that would not remove search and will only make it unavailable for restricted groups. what i am looking for is to completely take off search from top. i believe its not needed since there is a link in the navigational menu for the same.

I appreciate any help.

FrizzleFried

Forgive me if this is considered a thread-crap... but I am looking simply to MOVE said search-bar area... if,  during the course of answering the OP's question someone could point out how this is done,  I'd certainly appreciate it.  :)

TheListener

MoinFaraz

Would you please attach your index.template to your next post please.

@FrizzleFried

From what I remember this involves removing some code from the index.template file.

MoinFaraz

NanoSector

Hi MoinFaraz!

Try the attached file :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

MoinFaraz

Hey Yoshi2889,

Great Job :) replaced the file and the search is gone!

Just for future references: could you possibly reply back with the code changes?

Edit :: seems like i have found the block of code

<form id="search_form" action="', $scripturl, '?action=search2" method="post" accept-charset="', $context['character_set'], '">
<input type="text" name="search" value="" class="input_text" />&nbsp;
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['search'], '" class="button_submit" />
<input type="hidden" name="advanced" value="0" />';

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

@MoinFaraz: that's almost the full code, I'll supply the full replacement when I get on my laptop :)
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

MoinFaraz

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on April 27, 2012, 01:32:13 AM
@MoinFaraz: that's almost the full code, I'll supply the full replacement when I get on my laptop :)

Sounds good.

Thanks again Yoshi2889

NanoSector

Hi again!

This is the edit I performed:

Find:
<form id="search_form" action="', $scripturl, '?action=search2" method="post" accept-charset="', $context['character_set'], '">
<input type="text" name="search" value="" class="input_text" />&nbsp;
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['search'], '" class="button_submit" />
<input type="hidden" name="advanced" value="0" />';

// Search within current topic?
if (!empty($context['current_topic']))
echo '
<input type="hidden" name="topic" value="', $context['current_topic'], '" />';
// If we're on a certain board, limit it to this board ;).
elseif (!empty($context['current_board']))
echo '
<input type="hidden" name="brd[', $context['current_board'], ']" value="', $context['current_board'], '" />';

echo '</form>';

Replace:
';

MoinFaraz

Great Yoshi2889,

Will bookmark this page for future references.

Appreciate all your help :)

roshaoar

Hello,

I'm on 2.0.9 and I'm after the same (I have zoomsearch over my site and would prefer to integrate the forum search with that) is index.template a file that's only in older versions?

Thank you

Siirist

I also have 2.0.9 and I'm after the same.
Looked in my index.template and searched using Find for
<form id="
Not there at all
Hmmm.......

Oh, and
the second Reply by FrizzleFried How to relocate the Search on the index page was never addressed
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

roshaoar,

your question would seem to be VERY different from the initial question of this thread...
This thread was about making the search visible only for specific groups.

You seem to want to replace the search...

Siirist,
That question has been answered several times and even has a mod, I think....  just not answered in this thread
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

roshaoar

Quote from: Kindred on April 23, 2015, 02:08:59 PM
roshaoar,

your question would seem to be VERY different from the initial question of this thread...
This thread was about making the search visible only for specific groups.

Was it? Looked to me like it was about "Issue :: need to remove smf search from the top right corner (below logo)"

Siirist

Quote from: MoinFaraz on April 26, 2012, 01:57:56 PM
Hey all,

I did some research before starting this thread, but can't seem to find a thread which is close to what i am looking for.

SMF URL :: Click here

Issue :: need to remove smf search from the top right corner (below logo)

Tried admin > search > search settings / setting search permissions for customer groups, but that would not remove search and will only make it unavailable for restricted groups. what i am looking for is to completely take off search from top. i believe its not needed since there is a link in the navigational menu for the same.

I appreciate any help.

Yup Yup
here's a link to my search for a mod http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=remove+search+bar
0 results

and one for online help http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/The_parts_of_your_forum_page

Forum Header
A picture of what the forum header looks like for signed in members (SMF 2.0)
Viewing the forum header as a regular member (SMF 2.0)

The forum header is the section at the top of every page on your forum. It includes everything from the top down to just above the main menu. In SMF 1.1.x and SMF 2.x, some of this can be shown/hidden with the header-collapse icon (Upshrink2.png in SMF 2.0).

The header always contains a quick search bar and News (if enabled). Guests will see a quick login, while logged-in members will see a greeting, their avatar (if available), and links to Unread replies and Unread posts. Administrators and Moderators will also see alerts about any members awaiting approval, or maintenance mode reminder (if applicable)
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Kindred

I must be having a long day...  When I read and reread the oriinla post, it looked to me as if he was asking to limit the access to the search...

index.template.php -- look for search

I will note... the quicksearch block is actually different from the main search page -- I believe that it only searches local to your current location
e.g. within the board, within the thread...

Siirist,
I didn't say anything about mods to remove it...
I said that there were mods to MOVE it (which is what Frizzle asked)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Thanks again.

Here is what I did to remove search from the index.php

I logged out of forum,

went to my host,

copied the index.php to another folder (just in case),

went back to working index.php and removed
      'search' => array('Search.php', 'PlushSearch1'),
      'search2' => array('Search.php', 'PlushSearch2'),
Saved index.php

closed filed editor

Logged in and my forum and it was the same (search box was still upper right of main page)
EXCEPT that at the end of my menu was a little oval that was in the upright position and when I hovered over it with mouse, it said it linked to Search2

I do not recommend editing any .php without first making a copy first
because it you are not careful, toying with any .php can create havoc with any forum

It isn't a big deal to remove search bar as I could just click the little arrow in the upper right side of main screen and both my avatar and the search box go away.

Be Well,
Kindred
Needed information:

Advertisement: