The smf newslletter function have sizes limitations?

Started by luuuciano, April 27, 2012, 04:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luuuciano

Hi!

I was trying to send a newsletter, html, not Pivate Message... to member emails... using
index.php?action=admin;area=news;sa=mailingmembers

The html have something like 44kb... is that too much?

Because I sent it... and the html section (encoded as base64??) was broken... instead sending all the information it just sent something like 21kb...

When I realized it, went to phpmyadmin and deleted the contents of the mailing queue table (a few members received it anyway)...

Any idea? what to do? I can not send more than 20kb using the smf newsletter function?
I have to check something on the php configuration?
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

luuuciano

I thought maybe it was related to the a limit on maximum characters in a post, but that is configured to be 30000...

Post max size, on php.ini file, is set to 8M... did not find other related lines on php.ini, neither httpd.conf and extras/*....

I have tried sending only to 1 member, the admin, and it happens the same... the newsletter is broken (not at the same exact point, but near there...)
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

luuuciano

Ok... the body field on queue table... is a TEXT type...
TEXT types have always a limit of 65535??

Im reading the mysql documentation about text types, but do not fully understand it...

EDIT: then I read about mediumtext, and longtext...

It will be ok to just change that body field to medium text? do I need to change any code in smf files?

emanuele

Is there any warning on the fact that the text is truncated?
If not (and I feel there isn't), I'd call it a bug...
Now that I think about it probably the PMs too have the same issue...

Moving this to bug reports to better keep track of it until someone can fix or properly track it.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

luuuciano

Noup, not warning at all...
Maybe you can call it a bug, yep... at least the text string should state that you can not use more than... 20/25kb maybe?
(when sending a html newsletter... as the email being sent has headers, plain text, plain text base64 encoded(?) and html base64 encoded)
And a bit more when sending PMs (nearly 64kb?)

BTW... emanuele, do you think it would be ok if I change that field to mediumtext using phpmyadmin? it will not break things? or do odd things?
(I have a newsletter to send, lol)

emanuele

No, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Just more space for your newsletters. :P

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

luuuciano

Well... I have changed it to mediumtext... then tried sending the newsletter (just to admin)... and the same happened...
The email is truncated in the same position...

How is done the newsletter sending process? maybe the newsletter content is sent/stored to/in other place, previous the email queue line?
So I need to change to mediumtext other table field/s too?

Changed body, on personal_messages & messages too... newsletter truncated...
mmmm, there are no more places with body fields involved...

emanuele

Of course the two inserts (Subs-Post.php):
// Dump the data...
$smcFunc['db_insert']('',
'{db_prefix}mail_queue',
array(
'time_sent' => 'int', 'recipient' => 'string-255', 'body' => 'string-65534', 'subject' => 'string-255',
'headers' => 'string-65534', 'send_html' => 'int', 'priority' => 'int', 'private' => 'int',
),
$cur_insert,
array('id_mail')
);

// Flush out what we have so far.
$smcFunc['db_insert']('',
'{db_prefix}mail_queue',
array(
'time_sent' => 'int', 'recipient' => 'string-255', 'body' => 'string-65534', 'subject' => 'string-255',
'headers' => 'string-65534', 'send_html' => 'int', 'priority' => 'int', 'private' => 'int',
),
$cur_insert,
array('id_mail')
);

you have to remove the "-65534" after string...and that reminds me I "fixed" something without actually fix it...

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MrPhil

Why would either plain text or HTML be base64 encoded? Images and binary attachments yes, but text and tags, no. If the presence of binary data is causing everything to be encoded, I'd call that a bug (or at the least, bad design). Anyway, if the limitation was 30kB, it's possible that the original 21kB expanded to 30kB when base64 encoded. Just some thoughts...

luuuciano

Quote from: emanuele on May 02, 2012, 04:44:21 PM
you have to remove the "-65534" after string...and that reminds me I "fixed" something without actually fix it...

Thanks!
Removed it, just for the body string, not headers... it worked great!
:)

BTW, when it is used the "// Flush out what we have so far." section?
(because I forgot to edit it at the first try... anyway it was sent ok the newsletter)

Arantor

Quote from: MrPhil on May 02, 2012, 05:15:39 PM
Why would either plain text or HTML be base64 encoded? Images and binary attachments yes, but text and tags, no. If the presence of binary data is causing everything to be encoded, I'd call that a bug (or at the least, bad design). Anyway, if the limitation was 30kB, it's possible that the original 21kB expanded to 30kB when base64 encoded. Just some thoughts...

Welcome to the mail protocols where data *must* be 7 bit safe, and note that it was the first place base 64 was used en masse for just this reason. There may even be some old bad MTAs that only accept base 64 content.

luuuciano

emanuele

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

luuuciano

emanuele

Yesterday evening I was a bit in a hurry and I didn't post if the various things were fixed or not...sorry. :)

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: