this is loosely smf related

Started by texasman1979, April 29, 2012, 09:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texasman1979

im not sure how, but my old vps is running at half the ram that the new one is but it also has a full email server running in the background as well as lamp. my new one is running at easily twice the ram and it only has lamp running. any ideas where i screwed up?
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

LOGIC is a FOUR letter word! :)

NanoSector

* Yoshi2889 doesn't understand a word of this...

Can you explain in a bit more...detail?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

texasman1979

well hard to explain, my old server while running lamp and a fully working email server runs at less than 100 megs of ram. the new one with just lamp runs at around 150-170+ megs of ram.

im looking at the conf files looking to see if anything is different and they are pretty much the same.

another prob i am having is mysql wont start on boot even with all the appropriate boot settings on. this perplexes me as well.

really weird. lol
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

Colin

I don't think anyone here can answer this without having access to your machine. There are too many things it could be.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

What version of the OS were both machines running?
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Colin

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 01, 2012, 04:18:52 AM

*Except the Yoshi  ;)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

NanoSector

Quote from: Colin on May 01, 2012, 04:43:54 PM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 01, 2012, 04:18:52 AM

*Except the Yoshi  ;)
Lol.

But, if one machine has a different version of the OS, it's possible that memory usage is different, because the OS version doesn't take good care of the memory (yet).

Maybe give us more details about both servers... Amount of memory, type of memory, etc.

texasman1979

both are ubuntu 10.4.4.

old has 384 ram, new has 512.

old was 512, but performance was always the same, and remained the same after reduction of vps ram size.

apache2, mysql 5.1, php5 (on old also postifx and courier(dovecot))

old less than 100 megs, and a screen full of crap on "htop"
new only lamp and easily running 130-140 megs.

and as an aside, mysql wont start on boot on new vps.

apache and mysql on both have exact same conf files. have yet to check php, but being event driven php should have little to do with it while it is just sitting there not serving pages.

attached are the conf files.
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

texasman1979

i have done everything i can possibly think of and cant get mysql 5.1 and apache2 on the new server to have a smaller foot print but failing miserably. googled the piss out of it and have tried at least 20 different configurations. nothing is helping.

and i still cant get mysql to start on boot, it must always be started manually. i found some things on this googling, and have tried them all, none of them work.

what do you think about that. think it might help, but it doesnt appear to have a ubuntu 10 version. you think ubuntu 11 is enough different that it might make a difference?
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

shamun

The extra usage could be from applications installed by the host.  If you run cpanel/whmcs, that is known to chew up a bit of ram.  If you still have access to the old box, check the processes and see if there is anything new or what is taking up more.

texasman1979

I'll definitely try that. Well see how that turns out.

I can upgrade to the latest version of ubuntu and see no reason it won't work just fine for what I'm doing with it. Do yall think that it might have a positive effect on my configurable settings?

I am investigating the use of nginx, but there are some limitations to that that Apache does by default. Such as url rewriting and such. I know that would cut down on RAM usage, but mysql still seems to be my biggest mem hog.

Ay advice or incite that yall might have would be greatly appreciated.
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

texasman1979

Something else I'm curious about is that all the software I use can use sqlite. Does anyone know of a good free mysql to sqlite converter?

If I can move to nginx and sqlite I could use a 128 meg server easily. I'd still keep the 512 I got, but I would then have well more than enough RAM.

Thx
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

NanoSector

Why would you want to switch to SQLite, a plain text database..?

texasman1979

For memory if I can't get mysql working right. Course there is just switching to nginx, but inn my research, nginx has some very specific draw backs. Course Im not sure if those draw backs are specifically related to my specific web applications.

From your experience, is nginx good for smf, Wordpress, and drupal? And give those software full capabilities without messing with the cont files excessively?
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

青山 素子

Quote from: texasman1979 on May 02, 2012, 09:32:40 AM
I am investigating the use of nginx, but there are some limitations to that that Apache does by default. Such as url rewriting and such. I know that would cut down on RAM usage, but mysql still seems to be my biggest mem hog.

nginx supports rewrites just fine.

If you don't want to abandon Apache HTTPd, you could see about reducing modules being loaded and also moving PHP to use FastCGI (via mod_fcgid) or even FPM.

Quote from: texasman1979 on May 02, 2012, 09:40:50 AM
Something else I'm curious about is that all the software I use can use sqlite. Does anyone know of a good free mysql to sqlite converter?

Just so you know, SQLite is much less capable than MySQL. It also doesn't scale as well due to how it is designed. I believe it stores all tables in a single file.

SMF's support of SQLite isn't bad, but some modifications may assume you're using MySQL and bypass the limits SMF puts in (by disabling certain checks in SMF) leading to issues with them if you convert.

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on May 02, 2012, 10:30:19 AM
Why would you want to switch to SQLite, a plain text database..?

SQLite is not a plain-text or flat-file database.

Quote from: texasman1979 on May 02, 2012, 02:21:55 PM
From your experience, is nginx good for smf, Wordpress, and drupal? And give those software full capabilities without messing with the cont files excessively?

Well, Wordpress isn't good with anything, IMO. ;)

In all seriousness, all those products should run under nginx.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

shamun

Before jumping ship with everything I have one question: Why is that extra 30-40 megs of RAM usage that big of an impact?  Is it killing performance?  Are you already nearing your limit?  Problems with the host?

Switching to different platforms just for a decrease in RAM is needless I think.  When you start slowing down, crashing, nearing the limit or something else then it would be better to consider alternatives.  Even then though, 512m ram isn't a whole lot and the default setup (apache+mysql) would probably be good up to about 1 or 2 gigs of ram.

butch2k

Out of curiosity how did you move the mysql date ? dump/restore or file copy of the myisam files ? In the latter case i would consider launching an analysis of the tables through phpmyadmin for instance.
if there any init script associated with mysql ? either in /etc/init or /etc/init.d ?
try downloading rcconf (apt-get install rcconf) and check the services launched at startup, add mysql if needed.

texasman1979

100 megs at boot with lnmp with a few other goodies for security.

i have done quite a bit since i last posted here.

i decided that new vps company was running crap on my vps in the background or something. no matter what i did i could not get it below 100 megs.

slicehost.com, which is now rackspace, is from my experience to be the best vps/cloud spot out there. there might be better, but i have not ran across it. they are a bit more expensive than some, but you get what you pay for with no funny business. and they do have pretty good support.

so i decided to go back to slicehost with nginx web server and php-fpm on a 384 vps, that they dont even offer anymore. it should be fine for a couple thousand hits a day, which i dont get that anyway. lol

thx for the advice.

if anyone wants a good thing to installing lamp or lnmp on a vps go here: http://tuxlite.com/
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

texasman1979

i do have one issue.

in the changing to nginx from apache2, im getting my webistes back up and going, with one exception.

the packages that i have installed on the forums still show when i uninstall and reinstall the old command line path instead of the new one.

the reason i found this out, is cause some of the packages are not working correctly so i tried to uninstall and reinstall a few packages and they wont install back again due to the address in the package config is wrong.

is there an easy way i can change all that in some kind of setting file or something or do i need to completely reinstall every package from scratch?
SMF 2.0.4
SimplePortal 2.3.5

青山 素子

Quote from: texasman1979 on May 06, 2012, 07:53:56 PM
slicehost.com, which is now rackspace, is from my experience to be the best vps/cloud spot out there. there might be better, but i have not ran across it. they are a bit more expensive than some, but you get what you pay for with no funny business. and they do have pretty good support.

I'll second that. The company where I work is a Rackspace Partner and we have done a lot of work for them in helping customers migrate. The Cloud Servers offering is really nice, very stable, and within $10 per month of other major players like Linode. Their VPS (Cloud Server) instances are managed using Xen, last I checked.

Quote from: texasman1979 on May 06, 2012, 08:21:22 PM
the packages that i have installed on the forums still show when i uninstall and reinstall the old command line path instead of the new one.

the reason i found this out, is cause some of the packages are not working correctly so i tried to uninstall and reinstall a few packages and they wont install back again due to the address in the package config is wrong.

Unless the modification itself requires knowing URLs, simply using the reset_settings tool script, or just manually editing Settings.php and fixing the paths and addresses for avatars and attachments should be all you need to do.

Quote from: texasman1979 on May 06, 2012, 08:21:22 PM
is there an easy way i can change all that in some kind of setting file or something or do i need to completely reinstall every package from scratch?

If you have PMA installed, you can use it to search the entire database for instances of any string, like the old URL or file path, and can then manually edit the that data or at least know where to go to fix it.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: