Thumbs Up (Like / Dislike) for Posts?

Started by Jim Stone, May 02, 2012, 04:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stone

Quote from: N. N. on May 03, 2012, 04:02:53 PM
Please lets keep the discussion nice.

I know there are mixed feelings about a few of these functionalities, "born" from social networks, which may or may not make sense for forums. There are clearly common grounds between social networking and community building software, and there are definitely specific targets and goals too.

This particular one has been requested for ages by our users. I tend to think it has come to the point where expectations of users, shapen up by their experience with many sites over the web (not only social networks, but also blogs and such), are reaching a critical mass or close to reaching it, for forums.

Thumbs Up! ;)

Thank you for saying more "clearly" what I am obviously unequipped to say without causing a stir.

Just to be clear, however: we are extremely unlikely to consider it for SMF 2.1, which has a few new functionalities but it's mainly targeted at strictly necessary enhancements for 2.0 forums. While we may consider it for SMF 3.0, and please, feel free to add more thoughts and experiences on the matter.

Understood and accepted.  A very intelligent way to approach this issue. I'll just fade back into the shadows and hope for the best. Thanks for your understanding.

Shambles

Would it be overstepping the mark to say I like this thead?

Thought so  :-X

emanuele

Quote from: Shambles on May 04, 2012, 04:37:38 AM
Would it be overstepping the mark to say I like this thead?
You cannot, you have to like a post! :P  <-- Note the smiley, it means "joke".

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

redone

If it was a seamless modification or plugin then I would prefer to see it done that way. Should you want it then just add it. Many won't add this I am sure.

Arantor

I dunno, I would imagine more people would use this than would use karma.

redone

Quote from: Arantor on June 16, 2012, 02:25:06 PM
I dunno, I would imagine more people would use this than would use karma.
Maybe karma should be a plugin then! I always thought the karma thing brought around mixed experiences. Most of the big forums don't use it anyway.

MovedGoalPosts

For many of the more social based communities a thumbs up / thumbs down system could be a benefit.  It certainly stops the me too type posts but enables other forum members to express their views.

If one looks at the apparently popularity (based on downloads) of the thanks type mods, which apply for people who are helping out, there is potential for a likes / dislikes.

One could argue that karma can in some way fulfil this function.  But ask why the main SMF forum, like many, doesn't use karma?  Simple over time karma becomes distorted by those in the "clique" of users that get to know each other, and other useful newer posters will take forever to get there own reputation levels to match the established.  Rarely does karma show to other viewers which posts are being rated.

So a thumbs up / thumbs down likes system may not be for everyone, or even most forums, but it could be a relatively simple feature which a good number of SMF admins would choose to implement.   But I'd be wary about creating many statistics.  User profiles or top poster style things that show "this user has received ### likes" again re-encourages the clique mentality which potentially breaks rather than enhances communities.

Arantor

Let me explain the one big difference between karma and likes, and this incidentally holds true for reputation type systems too...

Karma is per user, likes are per post.

Being per user, karma and reputation invariably get distorted over time in a way that likes generally don't, the manifestation of which is the clique syndrome that movedgoalposts referred to. Likes, on the other hand, generally don't get that because while there might be minor cliques who just go round liking everything, what tends to happen is that it just changes the baseline - instead of a popular post being 1-3 likes, it might require 5-10 likes where 0-3 likes is the background noise, so to speak.

(Numbers are really irrelevant, it's more to make the point, basically popular posts will just provoke more likes, and the cliques tend to end up just being a minor undercurrent of background noise of likes)

redone

Quote from: Arantor on June 17, 2012, 09:28:18 AM
Let me explain the one big difference between karma and likes, and this incidentally holds true for reputation type systems too...

Karma is per user, likes are per post.

Being per user, karma and reputation invariably get distorted over time in a way that likes generally don't, the manifestation of which is the clique syndrome that movedgoalposts referred to. Likes, on the other hand, generally don't get that because while there might be minor cliques who just go round liking everything, what tends to happen is that it just changes the baseline - instead of a popular post being 1-3 likes, it might require 5-10 likes where 0-3 likes is the background noise, so to speak.

(Numbers are really irrelevant, it's more to make the point, basically popular posts will just provoke more likes, and the cliques tend to end up just being a minor undercurrent of background noise of likes)
Very good description - very well explained. Never been much of a fan of karma to be honest, for all of the above reasons.

Nightwish

So here is my take on this

http://forum.miranda.or.at/topics/likes-reloaded-or-welcome-post-ratings-2205.0.html

Should give enough flexibility to combine post ratings with a karma/reputation system.
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
EoS - SMF-based forum under development.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Nightwish on June 30, 2012, 04:44:00 AM
So here is my take on this

http://forum.miranda.or.at/topics/likes-reloaded-or-welcome-post-ratings-2205.0.html

Should give enough flexibility to combine post ratings with a karma/reputation system.

So is this something that will be made available for SMF?  I've been looking for a good RATINGS / LIKES mod to run with.  SMFPacks mod is great but doesn't include dislikes.  Post Ratings mod works fine but is very basic.   Topic Rating Bar only rates the topic itself and conflicts with other mods...

Arantor

If you checked out that site, it's a massively modified version of SMF, and it won't be a separate mod for SMF.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Arantor on July 23, 2012, 07:24:27 PM
If you checked out that site, it's a massively modified version of SMF, and it won't be a separate mod for SMF.
Yeah... I didn't think so but one could always hope.

:)

Arantor

Well, the code's publicly available IIRC so you could merge it manually but it's not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Honestly I would be quite wary of dislikes. There is a reason I've not added them to Wedge, even though I did add likes: on sites I have seen it, it breeds discontent.

FrizzleFried

My site is a private site of about 200 friends...think locker-room antics... dislikes are a must.  :)

Nightwish

Quote from: FrizzleFried on July 23, 2012, 07:21:42 PM
So is this something that will be made available for SMF?  I've been looking for a good RATINGS / LIKES mod to run with.  SMFPacks mod is great but doesn't include dislikes.  Post Ratings mod works fine but is very basic.   Topic Rating Bar only rates the topic itself and conflicts with other mods...
Well, it's a fork of SMF but the differences are already big. Since it's open source, it should still be possible to extract the code and make it a mod for SMF, but it will be a fair bit of work. And no, I'm not going to do that.
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
EoS - SMF-based forum under development.

climber

FWIW I'd really like to see a LIKE per post button I've looked at the SMFPacks one and its cook, but overkill IMO. A simple thumbs up/down is all I need.

Thanks

nend

Quote from: climber on November 05, 2012, 11:16:07 PM
FWIW I'd really like to see a LIKE per post button I've looked at the SMFPacks one and its cook, but overkill IMO. A simple thumbs up/down is all I need.

Thanks

Sorry for hijacking the thread but you can try my Post Karma, it is basically a bolt on to the existing Karma system to give it the ability to give karma per post.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3474

climber

thanks... but it doesn't quite do what I want. I don't want the personal Karma at all, and I do want the post like/dislike.

dimspace

theres the free thank you mod
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=257

that does the job just dandy, you can thank a post. Isnt that hard to modify it to read "like" instead of thank you. (and dislike is just asking for trouble)

As for Karma. personally I think karma should be scrapped, its idiotic, and smiting just causes problems amongst your forum members.

it does annoy me somewhat that this forum doesnt have thank you or like, i keep going to press it and its not there. :S

Advertisement: