News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Installing in the home directory?

Started by Daktyl198, May 03, 2012, 01:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daktyl198

First off: I'm new at this.

I want to use the webinstall.php to install smf in the public_html (www) folder because I just want it to be a forum site and webinstall makes it easy to install in the directory of your choice without running any re-naming scripts (not sure what those are actually called).

The webinstall works if I try to install in a sub-directory like "www/forums" but when I try to install it in the main folder I get this error:
Sorry, the FTP path you entered wasn't the same place as this installer was uploaded to.

I know it's the same place. Help?

Colin

Make sure you are entering your full webroot directory. If
you are not sure what it is please provide your host.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Daktyl198

By full webroot path, I assume you mean /home/username/public_html ?
If so, then that doesn't work either.

I'm using a free host: heliohost.org

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Daktyl198

Nope :(

I don't understand this...
Like I mentioned before; I tested it in a subfolder and it worked fine, same exact settings.

Colin

Some hosts have issues with web install. You may consider using the full install.

Colin

Colin

Quote from: Daktyl198 on May 03, 2012, 01:52:24 AM
By full webroot path, I assume you mean /home/username/public_html ?
If so, then that doesn't work either.

I'm using a free host: heliohost.org
For the hell of it add a / after public_html

Colin

Daktyl198

Doesn't the full install have a pre-set folder of /smf-install-2.0.2 ?

Either way, I think I'm just going to put wordpress or something as homepage...
It would make this whole thing much easier.

Thanks for helping out, though ^.^

Colin

No you can install the full install anywhere.

Colin

tuskawilla

i did this in godaddy, the root dir  is just /  that's it...

Colin

Colin

tuskawilla

oh yea, i actually did it by mistake a few years ago.  everyone liked it and so i left it.  Now everyone wants the forums MOVED to a different Dir with a "homepage" first and the forums as a link off of it...  so now I have to figure that out...  along with upgrading from 1.0.12 to the 2.0...

but that is another story...

Colin

Alrighty, feel free to open another thread if you have any further questions.

Colin

Advertisement: