Little Topic Solved improvement

Started by NanoSector, May 03, 2012, 06:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on February 18, 2013, 11:53:29 AM
Sorry, I just picked a random green colour and inserted it O:)

You've ruined the illusion now, you were supposed to say that it took you hours and hours to decide, and that this is the kind of dedication required to be a team member :D.  You've missed a golden opportunity there :P.

More seriously, it doesn't matter if it was random.  A soft shade of green trumps vivid green on a computer screen.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

NanoSector

It did take me hours to decide what colour picker to use... You need a good one to be a team member :P

Though I hate picking colours in general, so I just clicked of the first sign of what looked green to me. Sorry for the outcome, though I think snow has put a nice solution to that :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Acans

Yeah, I've been sorta OCD lately lol. I actually spent 100x longer picking a shade of green I liked than it too me to actually make all the edits haha.
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

French

Antechinus &  Irisado you might just be right,with a dark theme it is tricky to set the right color,specially if you want to keep the text readable,now chosen for this color code #C8F6C8

{
background: 
#C8F6C8;
}
.solvedbg2
{
   background: 
#C8F6C8;
}

Antechinus

Quote from: ѕησω on February 18, 2013, 12:36:56 PM
Yeah, I've been sorta OCD lately lol. I actually spent 100x longer picking a shade of green I liked than it too me to actually make all the edits haha.
ROFL. I do that sort thing all the time. Also change paddings, etc by 1px several times just to see what looks best. The actual base coding takes no time in comparison to all the presentation shiz.

Quote from: French on February 18, 2013, 02:57:20 PM
Antechinus &  Irisado you might just be right,with a dark theme it is tricky to set the right color,specially if you want to keep the text readable,now chosen for this color code #C8F6C8

{
background: 
#C8F6C8;
}
.solvedbg2
{
   background: 
#C8F6C8;
}

No, it's not tricky at all with dark themes. I've done several of them, and other people have done stacks of them. All you have to do is follow basic guidelines for contrast, etc, along with using a bit of common sense so you don't burn people's eyeballs out.

If people are using a dark theme their eyes will be adjusted to that. Putting lurid green stripes across it is going to freak theme out. All you really need is some visual indication that the topic is different. It doesn't have to leap out of the screen and rip your balls off. :D

SpeedHighway

Sorry to dredge this.
Small little improvement to Yoshi's improvement.

At the end of the theme index.css add:
.topic_table td.solved_locked2
{
background-image: url(../images/icons/quick_lock.gif);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: 98% 4px;
}

In the MessageIndex.template.php files, above
Code (Find) Select
// Locked topics get special treatment as well.
elseif ($topic['is_locked'])
$color_class = 'lockedbg';

Add this:
Code (Add Before) Select
// If solved AND locked
elseif ($topic['is_solved'] && $topic['is_locked'])
$color_class = 'solvedbg solved_locked';

This allows it to be both solved and locked.  Otherwise, solving a topic will remove the lock icon.

Advertisement: