[PAID] Facepunch Style Post Ratings System

Started by 017, May 04, 2012, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Version: SMF 2.0.2

The community I'm helping run could use a post ratings system like Facepunch.com [nofollow] uses. So I'd like to hire someone so we can have a sort of "rating menu" at the bottom right above the report to moderator/IP info stuff. I know PHP Fusion has a similar feature already built in, if you need code to reference for the job to be easier. Basically, it needs to have a few varying "icons" that can be clicked that get a rating of that "type"on a post, with the post displaying that which the user's post has already been rated for however many times. Also, it needs to be able to add other ratings later via the admin menu and control the ones already available in the menu.

Basically I need the same thing that this guy is asking for here, minus the thing he's asking for marking what the posters have been rated most:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=445872.0

As far as permissions go, I expect it to be used in every section by pretty much anyone besides guests, so there shouldn't be much required beyond that.

As for pricing, just name a price yourself and I'll see if I'm willing. As for availability to others, as long as I get the mod myself I don't care what you do with it when you're done. You can sell it yourself if you want; make it free, etc. - it doesn't matter to me.

Also, before someone posts a link to SoloGhost's post ratings mod - that is not Facepunch Style Post ratings, and doesn't work for what I need.

Marcus Forsberg

Just as a heads-up to anyone finding this topic, this has now been created. I may or may not release it (here for free, or on my site as a paid package), we'll see. If anyone wants it immediately, let me know and I'll see what we can do! :)

vbgamer45

Quote from: Marcus Forsberg on June 23, 2012, 06:03:14 PM
Just as a heads-up to anyone finding this topic, this has now been created. I may or may not release it (here for free, or on my site as a paid package), we'll see. If anyone wants it immediately, let me know and I'll see what we can do! :)
Do you have some screenshots would like to see it in action.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Marcus Forsberg

Yepyep! :)

(Topic view #3 showcases the dual-layout feature thingy. You can choose to use one block or two separate ones, as seen in the ACP settings)

akl

Marcus I'd be forever grateful if you did release this here..

FrizzleFried

Arantor

The only problem with such things is the inevitable backlash from it, where people are expected to provide support, and there is a very vocal minority around here who regularly demand that if a mod is released, it should be supported and if not, it should be taken off the author and given to someone who will support it.

This is why I stopped publishing SMF mods, ultimately...

Marcus Forsberg

That's part of what scares me from actually releasing this here. ;)

FrizzleFried

...then there's folks like me...

Those who feel that COMMERCIAL mods should be supported... unless otherwise stated (EX: Aeva)... FREE mods... sure,  support is nice... but they are FREE... It doesn't hurt to "ASK" but if you get no love... deal with it.

:D

I "DO" have a problem with commercial mods not being properly tested prior to the author taking money.  I "DO" have a problem with commercial mods being sold that DO NOT WORK nor could EVER WORK in the current state they are in.  I "DO" have problem with commercial mod authors taking $$ for half-baked products then expecting the userbase to help them BETA test them.  Yeah... I have a problem with those situations. 

FREE mods?  They're FREE... sheesh... give the author a break.

Arantor

See, people like you are why people like us don't have a problem making mods: you can understand the state of play and what's involved, but you'd be surprised how many people do not understand such and think that they're entitled to things.

* Arantor is reminded all too often of the one guy who actually threatened to hack my forum if I didn't modify a mod of mine for him.

Masterd

Quote from: FrizzleFried on June 26, 2012, 01:24:45 PM
...then there's folks like me...

Those who feel that COMMERCIAL mods should be supported... unless otherwise stated (EX: Aeva)... FREE mods... sure,  support is nice... but they are FREE... It doesn't hurt to "ASK" but if you get no love... deal with it.

I "DO" have a problem with commercial mods not being properly tested prior to the author taking money.  I "DO" have a problem with commercial mods being sold that DO NOT WORK nor could EVER WORK in the current state they are in.  I "DO" have problem with commercial mod authors taking $$ for half-baked products then expecting the userbase to help them BETA test them.  Yeah... I have a problem with those situations. 

FREE mods?  They're FREE... sheesh... give the author a break.

You are really one of a kind. :)

FrizzleFried

Unfortunately this isn't a problem with the SMF community... this is a problem with society in general.  It seems over the last 20-30 years we've raised a few generations of douchebags who feel they are "entitled" to just about anything.  I blame the asshats who started the whole "there is no winner... there is no loser...." BS that has been shoved down our kids throats for the last 20-30 years.   What happened to encouraging youth to STRIVE to WIN?!?  It build character to lose damnit... and by promoting "no winner... no loser" it promotes the whole "entitlement" mentality.

Arantor

QuoteBS that has been shoved down our kids throats for the last 20-30 years

It's not been as long as that, really - since I'm only 28 and Nas is younger than I am ;)

But yes, you're right, it's certainly a widespread problem. I was just referencing its specific application in this community.

FrizzleFried

Oh...it's been happening since about the mid 1980's... more and more.  Of course,  not everyone ends up being with the sense of self-entitlement that many do...

But this isn't the place for such a discussion.  :)

If ever you'd want to get in to said discussion we can always take it to the chit-chat forum.

Anyway,  the author knows my desire to play with this mod... so I too hope he decides to release it (or at least clandestinely drop it to me... >hint!< >grin<)...

Arantor

I'd certainly be intrigued to see it but I have other reasons for my interest, namely how I might convert it to a plugin for a different software ;)

FrizzleFried

Anyone willing to take on a mod like this for SMF 2.0.2?   If so,  what kind of $$ would be required?

Myrrdin

I'm looking for this as well. I sent Marcus a PM just now and will let you all know what he replies with.
Sorry for bumping, but this thread specifically asked for exactly what I needed which is why I am replying.

Edit: He wants 30 USD for it, merely send him a PM if you are interested.

Marcus Forsberg

And it doesn't look at all like what I already have available for the same price! :D

[/sarcasm]

;)

Now at least it has someone with the time and interest to support it.

Advertisement: