News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF check if the user is logged on

Started by Laloeka, May 05, 2012, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laloeka

Hello community,

I was searching how to do this, but I couldn't really find it anywhere. My goal is to make a chat-window in the theme template, which only shows when the user is logged on. That by itself isn't really hard to do.

My question is: How can I check if an user has logged on to the forum from another PHP file (for example: chat.php), where the chat messages are sent to, and are received by the chat-window in the forum page. I know it's possible, but I'm not sure how.

Can anyone help me with this? :)

Thanks!

NanoSector

Hi Laloeka, welcome to SMF!

Have you already included SSI.php in that PHP file?

If so, do this for every user:
loadMemberData(userid);

And don't forget to global $user_profile.

Then, you can use this:
$is_online[id] = $user_profile[id]['is_online'] === 0 ? false : true;
Replacing id with the user ID.

Then you can use $is_online[id] to check if an user is online.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Laloeka

NanoSector

No problem :)
If your topic is solved, please hit that green button below :)
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Robert.

Ehm shouldn't this be in coding discussion? :P

NanoSector

Quote from: 医生唱片骑师 on May 05, 2012, 12:10:19 PM
Ehm shouldn't this be in coding discussion? :P
I already reported it to the team, I think it gets moved in a while.

Arantor

QuoteIf so, do this for every user:

Running 2 or maybe 3 queries for every user, that's nice and efficient, isn't it? Pass an array of ids to loadMemberData rather than an individual member id at a time, so you only do one query for all of them.

Or you could query the {db_prefix}log_online table and get the id_members of all online members directly from there...

NanoSector

Quote from: Arantor on May 05, 2012, 12:15:30 PM
QuoteIf so, do this for every user:

Pass an array of ids to loadMemberData rather than an individual member id at a time, so you only do one query for all of them.
Oh, sorry, forgot about that. Yeah, that's indeed more efficient :)

Laloeka

I have another question extending this one, so I could continue here:

I want to check if a user is completely banned, or partially banned (i.e. not allowed to post), and possibly if it's permanent.

Advertisement: