Webinstall on local machine without FTP?

Started by Tiribulus, May 18, 2012, 11:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiribulus

Hey folks I haven't been around in like forever and I forgot at least half of what I learned so forgive me please. Can anyone tell me if I can use the webinstaller on a local machine without FTP. I don't want ftp running on this machine. Can I tell the webinstaller where the install and stuff is like that. If so how?
Thanks,

ApplianceJunk

I don't know why you would need web installer to install SMF on a local machine.

Just download the SMF files, unzip them and then drag and drop or copy them to the location you want them at on your local machine.

Colin

AJ is right. You will need FTP if you wish to utilize the web install functionality.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Tiribulus

I'm just really pressed for time and was looking for the quickest least hassling way to do it. I'll try the regular way.
Thanks

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: Tiribulus on May 19, 2012, 11:38:27 PM
I'm just really pressed for time and was looking for the quickest least hassling way to do it. I'll try the regular way.
Thanks

Download, unzip, copy & paste seems quick and easy to me. ;)

Tiribulus

I got it installed, but now I can't logout and when I give it the admin password to setup some stuff up it gives me this "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then  try again" error. If I click on logout it just goes to bold on the text on the link and stays logged in. I figured there's no use in starting a new topic for this.
Thanks again

EDIT: I've tried all the fixes that appear to be related to this, but nothing has worked. I cannot access the admin account either now. I may just start over.

Tiribulus

I never thought I'd say this, but I am about to try a different forum software. This is the only one I have ever used, but I just went through the whole install process over again with the exact same results. Click on admin give password created 2 minutes ago and Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again. clicking logout bolds the text and nothing happens. This may not even have anything to do with SMF and as my posting history abundantly attests I understand that I am being provided this package for free and am making no demands. I just need it to work. I am at a season in my life where I understand more than ever how precious people's time is. Nobody owes me anything, but if nobody also knows what the problem is with this I will have to try something else. PHP info follows, brand new 90 second old install, no mods, default theme, version 2 of smf. Clearing cookies logs me out, but then can't log back in. I do thank whoever may have even so much as opened this topic to look.
http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/smf/phpinfo.php

IchBin™

Tiribulus, did you get this resolved? I realize it's been almost a month, but figured I'd give a nudge to see how things went or if you still need help.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Tiribulus

I have decided to give it another shot. I greatly apologize for not closing this topic too. I installed smf again and again I have the same issue. I love smf guys. I don't who's still aronf here, but some of you may remember me. I was a huge fan, but it ha to work for it to do me any good.

I never thought I'd say this, but I am about to try a different forum software. This is the only one I have ever used, but I just went through the whole install process over again with the exact same results. Click on admin give password created 2 minutes ago and
Code:

Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

clicking logout bolds the text and nothing happens. This may not even have anything to do with SMF and as my posting history abundantly attests I understand that I am being provided this package for free and am making no demands. I just need it to work. I am at a season in my life where I understand more than ever how precious people's time is. Nobody owes me anything, but if nobody also knows what the problem is with this I will have to try something else. PHP info follows, brand new 90 second old install, no mods, default theme, version 2 of smf. Clearing cookies logs me out, but then can't log back in. I do thank whoever may have even so much as opened this topic to look.
http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/smf/phpinfo.php

Kindred

since you have already opened another thread with this issue (and this issue is not at all related to the original thread) I suggest that you continue conversations in the other thread... :)

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=502327.0

(in the future, please do not cross post the same issue multiple times in multiple places.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: