News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Successful Forum?

Started by FrizzleFried, May 19, 2012, 11:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

I have a forum I put up around mid-February...

Being mid-May that puts it at about the 3 month mark.

It is my first forum attempt. 

What would you folks consider a "successful" forum at this point?  How many posts?  How many users?  Etc...

Just curious as to where I stand with this forum.

Thanks!

Chalky

I started mine about the same time as you then, 19th February at about 3pm ;)

My forum is hidden from the public and not open to new members, but between the five members we have, including myself, we have accumulated over 4,000 posts in 350 topics.  I consider that a success  :D

sshahnawaz

Quote from: Sabrinova on May 19, 2012, 01:35:38 PM

My forum is hidden from the public and not open to new members, but between the five members we have, including myself, we have accumulated over 4,000 posts in 350 topics.  I consider that a success  :D

Don't you think this is unjust? Nothing should be kept private... and on the internet?? You definitely committed a CRIME...
How to Make Money Online - Urdu Description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Deggh2ZxNE

floridaflatlander

If you're please with your forum and / or if you have goals for your forum and have reached them or you're on the way to reaching them than it's a success.

sshahnawaz

Quote from: floridaflatlander on May 19, 2012, 01:46:14 PM
If you're please with your forum and / or if you have goals for your forum and have reached them or you're on the way to reaching them than it's a success.

I don't think being pleased is a proof. Success is far different from what you have defined here... see what is good and go with it... have success in good way..
How to Make Money Online - Urdu Description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Deggh2ZxNE

Chalky

Quote from: Mysterious_Stuff on May 19, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: Sabrinova on May 19, 2012, 01:35:38 PM

Don't you think this is unjust? Nothing should be kept private... and on the internet?? You definitely committed a CRIME...

Heehee, not at all.  I pay the hosting, I call the shots ;)

No doubt we will unhide eventually and then you guys will be the first to know, believe me!  I LOVE my little forum and am so proud of it I could burst  ;D

sshahnawaz

No doubt we will unhide eventually and then you guys will be the first to know, believe me!  I LOVE my little forum and am so proud of it I could burst  ;D

And when will this happen EVENTUALLY?? Do you think you will live forever? Its about three months that you kept it hidden... big CRIME...

ApplianceJunk

Wow, there seems to be far more attitude then any helpful advice given in this topic. ;)

QuoteWhat would you folks consider a "successful" forum at this point?  How many posts?  How many users?

When you find out the answer let me know. I would love to have a successful forum someday. :)

floridaflatlander

Quote from: Mysterious_Stuff on May 19, 2012, 01:54:29 PM
I don't think being pleased is a proof.

Who does someone have to prove it to. Start quoting numbers and you may be able to answer the question yourself. If someone ask a general question they'll get a general answer.

floridaflatlander

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on May 19, 2012, 02:18:39 PM
Wow, there seems to be far more attitude then any helpful advice given in this topic. ;)

QuoteWhat would you folks consider a "successful" forum at this point?  How many posts?  How many users?

When you find out the answer let me know. I would love to have a successful forum someday. :)

Enough post, topics, users and modorators etc to have it run on auto and to provide me a winter home in the Bahamas and a summer home in the mountains with weekend trips to New York in my gulf stream to eat, see a play and chase skirts. 8)

One way may be to say you want to make 30-50k or what ever a year off of it and generally how many members would you need.

FrizzleFried

It's possible to make money off a forum?  And i always thought it was just a money sink... :)

NanoSector

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 19, 2012, 03:36:28 PM
It's possible to make money off a forum?  And i always thought it was just a money sink... :)

Sure, paid subscriptions, donations, paid downloads, .....
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 19, 2012, 03:36:28 PM

Sure it's possible, but like many things it all depends. ;)

I think for most people it's just a hobby. The majority of the people don't stick with it and that's fine for a hobby, but it's no way to run a business.

QuoteSon, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers.

nend

I help moderate a successful forum.

49568 Posts in 2353 Topics by 16828 Members.
Most Online Today: 171. Most Online Ever: 214 (May 08, 2012, 10:46:51 AM)

Average registrations per day:94.21
Average posts per day:136.21
Average topics per day:8.50
Average online per day:176.14

Staff
4 Admins
25 Moderators

When there are too many messages for you to moderate yourself then you have a successful forum. We have this problem bad, tons of off topics and such, just can't get to it all, good thing for the report button but it is a task still.

Bad thing though is this forum is still growing and getting busier and busier.

Arantor

The only definition of success is whether it meets your goals or not.

I have a forum that is 3 years old, with about a dozen members and barely 3,500 posts, but for the tasks it has I consider it a success.

FrizzleFried

...which is sort of the reason for this post.  I am not sure what "goals" to set.  I have never done this and I am not really sure how high to set the goal post.   

Here are my current stats as of today:

Private Invite Only Forum

158 members
28208 posts
1422 topics
7 boards
39 most online

Texan78

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 20, 2012, 12:28:56 PM
...which is sort of the reason for this post.  I am not sure what "goals" to set.  I have never done this and I am not really sure how high to set the goal post.   

Here are my current stats as of today:

Private Invite Only Forum

158 members
28208 posts
1422 topics
7 boards
39 most online

IMO in just three months I would consider that fairly successful, especially if it's invite only. Just imagine how it could grow over time if it wasn't invite only. IMO if you are getting a daily stream of active traffic then that is definitely a plus and something to grow on.

On the other subject, I don't see anything wrong with having a private forum that is not open to the public. Yes, I can see how some would think it defeats the purpose but, then on the other hand maybe some already have a private member base and doesn't need public interaction. The forum is still serving it's purpose whether it's private or public and that's all that matters.

TrickyRicky

Just hitting 4 months at my place

1180 members growing by about 10/20 a day

Michael McNamara

Quote from: TrickyRicky on May 24, 2012, 02:21:19 AM
Just hitting 4 months at my place

1180 members growing by about 10/20 a day

How many posts do they have on average?

TrickyRicky

1438 posts
692 topics

Sometimes you can have to many posts its the quality that matters