Where to Extract SMF Zip File?

Started by PleaseHelp, May 29, 2012, 04:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PleaseHelp

Hello. I'm new at this. The attached shows I have the SMF Zip file.

Do I extract it to the public directory? Or, should I first make a "SMF" folder in the public directory and extract to that folder?

I don't know what the other folders there are for.

Thanks for helping. I'm glad to be here. :)

Dzonny

Hello there and welcome to smf community! :)

If you would like your forum to be on url like yoursite.com/forum/ then you should make folder "forum", and if you want it to be on yoursite.com then just extract in public dir, where it is now.

Let us know if you need any further help.

Regards,
Dzonny

PleaseHelp

Just what I needed. Thank you.

I extracted to a forum folder and set the CHMOD values.

But now I'm trying to install SMF and get a 404 Not Found when entering the following in a browser with my .com domain instead of (mysite.com):

http://www.(mysite.com)/forum/install.php

kat

One thing to remember, when using the internet...

Unlike Windows, case matters.

So, if the directory was named "Forum", only "Forum" will work. "forum" most definitely will not.

I thought I'd mention that, just in case... ;)

PleaseHelp

Now I know why some coders only type their posts in lower case. :)

I just finished chatting with my domain registrar, Namecheap.

The host records for my .com domain looked like this earlier.
@ --- (host ip address) --- A (Address) --- 1800
www --- (mysite.com) --- CNAME --- 1800

And now it is changed to this as advised by Namecheap.
@ --- (host ip address) --- A (Address) --- 1800
www --- (host ip address) --- A (Address) --- 1800

Namecheap also advised that I would need to do a redirect (somehow) through my host if I want mysite.com to show in a browser instead of www. in front of mysite.com.

kat

I'd work on getting the place up'n'running, before worrying about redirects and that kinda stuff, myself.

Let's face it, who the heck even notices whether there's a "www" or not, nowadays?

All people want, is for things to work. HOW they work, doesn't concern them. :)

PleaseHelp

Namecheap said it would take several minutes. http://www.mydomain/forum.com/install.php currently shows "Page not found or server unavailable."

I agree about just getting this to work. That would be great!

www vs no www is a non-issue at this point, but thought I'd mention what Namecheap advised about this. :)

kat

Ah. Well, let's wait for that "Few minutes", (which could be hours) and see how it goes, yeah?

PleaseHelp

Yes, several minutes could potentially mean over an hour. But I'd rather wait the "few minutes" that you mentioned. I find it hard waiting for good things like SMF. :)

kat

I find that most things "Internet" take far too long.

It's kinda like watching a snail race. :(

Colin

Quote from: K@ on May 29, 2012, 04:15:59 PM
I find that most things "Internet" take far too long.

It's kinda like watching a snail race. :(
LOL
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

PleaseHelp

Still no change. Something is wrong. Checking again now with Namecheap.

A different person at Namecheap confirmed the domain is set up correctly.

Kays

Hi, try changing the url to : hxxp:www.mydomain.com/forum/install.php

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

PleaseHelp

PleaseHelp

Hmmmm.... thinking about different ways of possibly solving this.

Change domain registrar.... doesn't seem likely to help.

Change host... something may not be set up right... been wanting to do this anyway.

Hire someone to do this for me.

Kays

Well, be patient for a start. :)

So you extracted all of the files into a "forums" folder?

What did you chomd that folder to. It should be 755

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Colin

When you go into the /forum/ directory what files do you see inside of there? Let's make sure that the contents are actually in there in the first place. Did you place the /forum/ directory inside the /public_html/ or /www/ directory?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

PleaseHelp

Quote from: Kays on May 29, 2012, 08:02:21 PM
Well, be patient for a start. :)

So you extracted all of the files into a "forums" folder?

What did you chomd that folder to. It should be 755

I created a forum folder that is CHMOD 755. Then I extracted SMF to that folder > public_html/forum. And everything in the folder is CHMOD correctly.

PleaseHelp

Quote from: Colin on May 29, 2012, 08:23:16 PM
When you go into the /forum/ directory what files do you see inside of there? Let's make sure that the contents are actually in there in the first place. Did you place the /forum/ directory inside the /public_html/ or /www/ directory?

Everything is in the public_html/forum. I navigated the files and folders with ease and CHMOD them as required. The attached shows a partial listing.

busterone

Is this a brand new domain, or have you moved this domain to a new host?  In many cases of new domains or domain transfers to a new host, it can take 24 to 72 hours for the DNS to be propagated thru the web. 

Also, are you certain that your domain directory pointer is set properly in your host's cpanel?

Advertisement: