News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

I have my serve...

Started by yamezbond, January 11, 2004, 09:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamezbond

Ok... I have my server up and running on my local network after trying a while with the lessons on this PHP board,  but now how I test or do my php stuff??  is there any WYSIWYG editor for PHP to make webpages or modify my board?

or how this works? it works like a webserver? so I have to put my files in the server folder to see my changes? if so... still the question is there a program to see or change the code instead of modifying it on the Notepad?

Dreamweaver MX works with php?

Thanks!

[Unknown]

PHP is programming.  It really cannot be done well, in my opinion, through a WYSIWYG interface.

But then, in my opinion again, nothing can be done well with a WYSIWYG aka WYSIWYWYG interface. (what you see is what you wish you'd get.)

-[Unknown]

mcguire

yes this is true but there are programs out there that buil-in functions to do what you need like hydra php editor or PhpED...  these programs cant built site for you but have pre-emped templates or functions that help you add code to your page...  you cant really count on them ebcause they add excess code uneeded and non matched resources..  if your interested in a program to test and write code  i would use PhpED made by nusphere. this program cost a bit so if you want something free  use Hydra Php Editor

Fizzy

Htmlkit has boat-loads of pretty good plugins for php.
Not WYSIWYG, No templates, but not bad for keeping track of your code though.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Les Mackenzie

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 11, 2004, 10:12:46 PM
PHP is programming.  It really cannot be done well, in my opinion, through a WYSIWYG interface.
But then, in my opinion again, nothing can be done well with a WYSIWYG aka WYSIWYWYG interface. (what you see is what you wish you'd get.)
-[Unknown]

Amen to that my fundamentalist brother  ;)

To answer the original question there is no standard php coding utility.  I think I asked the same question once upon a time.  I use FrontPage to do most of the html coding and then plug in the php once the html layout has been done.  If this isn't what you're getting at I apologize :)
BLOGS SUCK! - HERE READ MINE

Please Note:  Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...  Even if you win you're still retarded.

morph

I use EditPlus and love it! I forgot where I got it but i'm sure you can search google.

Coming soon!

Valconeye

i use dreamweaver mx, it color codes the all types of programming launguages, you can also view the code, or view the finished product (what it will look like on the web).

nil

I like both EditPlus and Dreamweaver MX.

EditPlus website

yamezbond

Hi guys thanks for replying,  I currently use Dreamweaver MX 2004 but I don't understand how configure it to use the test server option, it give me an error that can't upload my php page to my server, so I don't have any idea how to configure it.

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

[Unknown]

You have to set it up with a real server that has PHP installed.  Dreamweaver does not have PHP built into it.

-[Unknown]

Frog

Like a good newb I did a search and this one looks closest to what my question is.

I'm playing with the forum, I have it set up on a local server, and also have Dreamweaver MX installed and I am hoping to be able to preview what little changes I make.

However after I load the site and Dreamweaver tries to use the live data function nothing shows up, such as my images and such. I haven't altered anything, so I'm thinkin I must be doing something wrong in my Dreamweaver configuration.

Any ideas?

nil

Quote from: Frog on September 28, 2004, 09:04:54 PM
Like a good newb I did a search and this one looks closest to what my question is.

I'm playing with the forum, I have it set up on a local server, and also have Dreamweaver MX installed and I am hoping to be able to preview what little changes I make.

However after I load the site and Dreamweaver tries to use the live data function nothing shows up, such as my images and such. I haven't altered anything, so I'm thinkin I must be doing something wrong in my Dreamweaver configuration.

Any ideas?

Do you have PHP installed on your server?  It is necessary in order to view any php as php is a server side code unlike HTML.

[Unknown]

I'm not sure that its live data thing works for this..... but it may.

Try using FTP for deploying, perhaps?  Then it will know not to try to muss around with things so much? (I'm afraid I don't use Dreamweaver myself.)

-[Unknown]

Frog

Yeah I have PHP installed.

I'm using XAMP from apache friends. It has PHP and MYSQL support installed out of the box.

No biggy, I'll have to resort to asking gads of newb questions and eventualy cry uder my pillow because I don't know code well.

But hey it works for me!  ;)

Advertisement: