"No Avatar" Radio Button Always Displayed in Profile

Started by archiebald, June 05, 2012, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archiebald

Quote from: Arantor on June 26, 2012, 11:11:05 PM
Yes, but if the admins decide on a no user avatar selection policy, how do you remove them from users who already have them if there's no 'no avatar' option? That's the problem. That's why it was introduced!
I already explained that with emanuele's code the admins still have full control over all user's avatars.  The "no avatar" button has only been removed from the user profile page.

Are you saying that you want to retain a quick way to reset every user's avatar to "none"? (even though I really believe this is going to be a very rare case)  If I wanted to reset all avatars to none across the board I would access the database directly.  Much easier.

QuoteThis is the part that bugs me. As I understood the mess that is the profile code (and it IS a mess), you wouldn't actually be able to select anything in that situation.

Sorry, I'm not following this.  Emanuele has made a two line modification that makes the profile page work exactly as I imagine it was supposed to.

Right now (after emanuele's code mod) I have my board operating exactly how I wanted it;

• From the admin pages, I have disallowed all avatar choice by users.
  • User's get their avatar set by the admin at the time of account registration. (We use actual photos of the users, supplied by them, which we trim to a specific size)
  • User's cannot access anything to do with their avatar.
  • Admin can change any user's avatar at any time. If a user wants to update their image, they send it to an admin with a request to change it.
If I want to change to a more liberal policy at a later date where users select or upload their own avatar, then I simply allow that function in the avatar permissions and the board works exactly like a regular board with no harm done.

I accept that you have way more experience in this than I do, but I think you are looking at the problem too deeply.  It was a simple bug that has been fixed.  I just don't understand the scenario you are trying to paint.

From my point of view, this topic is now solved, only thing is I would request that emanuele's code be included in the next SMF update.

Arantor

The scenario I've been trying to paint appears to be based on a skewed view of how the code works, you're telling me that admins retain the ability to reset things (because they have all the permissions and can set avatars on everyone even if the person can't themselves) - my understanding of the code was that for the purposes of avatar selection it would look at what the user in question could do, not what the admin could do.

archiebald

Arantor,
Personally I have not looked into the code so have no idea or opinion.  Even if I did, I am sure I wouldn't understand it  ???

I'm only reporting what actually happened when I tested it.

Arantor

Fixed in 2.1. (The profile/avatar code is still a mess, it still defies all the other conventions of how $context['member'] - i.e. the member that you're looking at! - but at least it now behaves in accordance with both my concerns and the OP's)

Advertisement: