ftp access to ftp.simplemachines.org

Started by vizion, September 01, 2005, 09:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vizion

Hi

Is it possible to get downlaods via ftp?

I particularly wanted to keep track of the language files and it would be so easy to do the automatically ftp.

I see you have /incoming but no signs of a /pub for downloads

Any instructions -- maybe there is a mirrir someqwhere

thanks

vizion

dtm.exe

Why not just download the new releases of SMF when they are announced?

[Unknown]

I suppose we could serve them by FTP and HTTP.  No one has really been interested in FTP downloads...

-[Unknown]

Daniel D.

Trekkie101

Quote from: Daniel D. on September 02, 2005, 04:24:26 AM
Why should we add it then?

It would help me a bit, at school all HTTP downloads are forbidden (by that I mean, ZIP, MP3, AVI, EXE) and getting SMF just doesnt work, but we could use an web FTP such as Net2FTP and would be able to get a copy

bloc

how about the tar.gz? forbidden that too?

Trekkie101

Quote from: Bloc on September 02, 2005, 08:28:48 AM
how about the tar.gz? forbidden that too?
It doesnt seem to actually care about extention, it looks for downloads, because its a proxy it seems to be able to screen anything that trys to download, although it has a few weaknesses such as

www.site.com/downloads.php?=file.exe

Seems to work but they have sort of managed to block that too (Mozilla used this method)

vizion

Using ftp means that on a unix system one can automatically upgrade and install the upgrades without manual supervision.  Using HTTP  means opening a browser and doing everything manually. When you are running a busy server you do not have time for that. For you ftp puts less load on your server because you do not have theoverheads of http.

As you already have ftp running all you need do is create a ~ftp/pub directory and place the files there with the correct permissions.

It would be appreciated if you could take the time to add ftp

thanks

vizion

vizion

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on September 01, 2005, 09:26:04 PM
Why not just download the new releases of SMF when they are announced?

Using ftp on a unix system the upfdate can be detected, uploaded and installed automatically. With HTTP that is not so easy to achieve.

vizion

forsakenlad

Oh so you want FTP access to the folders and stuff, not the compressed files then?
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Motorhead

I've just signed up for a VPS and its the first time Ive had shell access, just feeling my way round and learning some of the stuff...I cam across "wget"

I used "wget" to transfer the latest version direct to a folder on my server and then used the unzip command still in the shell......all I had to do then was set the folder permissions and run install.php :)

obviously I was amazed at how quick that was compared to downloading to my pc , unzipping and then uploading at 25kb/s :)

transfering from the old Windows server to the new unix is a breeze as well....105mb file in less than 2 minutes :D

[Unknown]

Automatically updating SMF would better be done in the package manager, so database modifications and errors can be better handled.

-[Unknown]

vizion

Quote from: forsakenlad on September 02, 2005, 01:35:45 PM
Oh so you want FTP access to the folders and stuff, not the compressed files then?

The compressed files would be great -- especially the language files . There are so many of them  - with ftp you just need the command mget * and you get all the files in one download instead of manually selecting each file and downloading one at a time!

Much better

vizion

I meant to say one can also do mget *.tgz or *.zip and you get all the files of that extension type.

http is ideal for reading stuff but absolutely ridiculous for managing downloads in a production environment

Advertisement: