PM reply to myself

Started by Adrek, June 10, 2012, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrek

I think that this should be fixed..

Today by mistake I clicked "Reply" button in own message instead of button in message from other user (in PM conversation) at this community (simplemachines.org).
I wrote and sent PM (here goes "bug" part) and after a while i got a new mail message with notification:
QuoteYou have just been sent a personal message by phantomm on Simple Machines Community Forum.

So it looks like I sent PM to myself :)

If I thinking correctly - "Reply" button shouldn't be displayed in own PM posts/messages? Or at least notification mail should be sent to other member from conversation
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

kat

I hope they don't fix this, even if it's not broken.

I often send myself PMs, to remind myself of some stuff. ;)

Arantor

Sending PMs to yourself is one thing, but replying to your own PMs to yourself is perhaps something else again.

I can understand it if you send a PM to a bunch of people and include yourself in that (though with the sent items that's not really necessary), and then have reply-to-all after, but to reply to yourself is maybe a bit odd.

Though, if done in conversation mode, I can understand it if you send yourself a PM then reply with a follow-up...

kat

You could always PM yourself, to ask about that. ;)

And reply, too!

Arantor

That might lead to some interesting conversations...

kat

I can almost imagine that...

Reminds me of the captain of a certain Golgafrincham spaceship...

Arantor

He rather enjoyed his bath, didn't he?

* Arantor loves HHGttG.

kat

I feel an avatar, for you, coming on...

Arantor

Life, don't talk to me about life, love it or loathe it, you can't like it.

Trekkie101

It exists but I reckon just for code simplicity its not been taken out.

Angelina Belle

So it is a feature, not a bug?
And we can move this one to "fixed or bogus bugs" with the tag [not a bug]
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Suki

I wouldn't call it a bug nor a feature as this is more about habits than coding.  I made the same mistake more than once.

It happens on the conversation mode, when you already replied to the pm and for some reason you want to send another message, habitually, you will hit the reply button on the first message, which is of course, the message you already sent, meaning you will replied to yourself.

Might be good to check to who exactly are you replying  but then again, there are cases where replying to yourself is totally valid.

Edit, perhaps a  check before actually send the pm, if the user is replying to him/herself, ask them:

Do you really want to reply to yourself?

if yes, then proceed, if not go back to the previous page.  That way, people are fully aware of what they are doing.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Arantor

Been thinking about this. There are legitimate times where you would send yourself a message - as part of a reply-all chain and in that situation you should not question it. But if you're just replying to yourself and *only* yourself, maybe that would be worth questioning or at least displaying a warning.

Thinking about it, I'm actually kind of thinking it might just be better to show it as a warning powered by JS on the back of the suggest implementation in the PM pages - if there's only one person and it's you, show the message. Just a thought.

kat

Most people would get a notification, via e-mail, anyway. :)

Arantor

I'm talking about before it's sent...

kat

Ah. Yeah, I guess that'd be a plan, then. :)

Advertisement: