News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SimpleTickers

Started by Vladimir Samoilov, June 12, 2012, 10:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladimir Samoilov

Thank you for your note.
I will try to do dynamic scale in new version of this mod.

tMicky

This is probably a silly question. But how does one apply mod updates/upgrades?

I have version 1.5, how do I update to version 1.6.

thank you.

Vladimir Samoilov

to tMicky

1. If you have changed or appended another backgrounds, sliders or fonts, then save on local computer following folders
yourforum/SimpleTickers/scenies
yourforum/SimpleTickers/sliders
yourforum/SimpleTickers/fonts

2. Remove old version  through the standard package manager

3.  Install new version  through the standard package manager

4. Upload and replace folders "scenies", "sliders" and "fonts"

TheListener

Although the mod looks promising for the type of forum I have I have one dislike.

I do not like the Ticker menu tab.

IMHO this should be accessed via a persons profile only.

iain sherriff

Hi
What do the "column count" setting alter with this please ?
SMF 2.0.12

Vladimir Samoilov

Quote from: iain sherriff on February 22, 2014, 07:18:48 PM
Hi
What do the "column count" setting alter with this please ?

1 column

2 columns

3 columns

iain sherriff

SMF 2.0.12

zurgenaboy

I like this mod, but it has its drawbacks.

1)  the url created on the last page can be copied and pasted
on to any other forum, thereby stealing some of your bandwidth.

2)  The 4 new directories that this mod creates leaves those 4 directories
open to view by anyone. (a blank index file has to be created to stop this)

3)  Guests can view/use this to create their own tickers, then use number 1 above.

question:   How can this be stopped?

maybe by putting this in the forum profile page??

Vladimir Samoilov

Quote from: zurgenaboy on September 29, 2015, 05:52:25 AM
I like this mod, but it has its drawbacks.

1)  the url created on the last page can be copied and pasted
on to any other forum, thereby stealing some of your bandwidth.

2)  The 4 new directories that this mod creates leaves those 4 directories
open to view by anyone. (a blank index file has to be created to stop this)

3)  Guests can view/use this to create their own tickers, then use number 1 above.

question:   How can this be stopped?

maybe by putting this in the forum profile page??

Hello, zurgenaboy!
Sorry for my late answer. I didn't see your message.
Thank you for your remark. I've added index files to image's directories. You may download mod again. I didn't change version because there are no changes except adding index files.

As for stealing of bandwidthes I think it is advantage, not drawbacks :) Because they will put link to your website and will make your website more popular. Don't you think so? The url created on the last incudes link to your forum.

tpgames

Questions:
1. How do you fix the img.php so that the font that shows up under the image is a solid colour instead of a two-toned mess? I uploaded what the font looks like in use.

2. Whatever font size I choose, doesn't change anything.  Its still a tiny font size. I uploaded also my version as a text file. I tried changing the font size to 16 (at all the places on the php), just to see what I would get. Even raising the browser's text to 250% didn't really help make it clearer to read.

I was assuming that fontcolor2 stood for the 2nd ticker if chosen.
What I changed was: $pixpm=$line_sx/30;  // from 12 to 30

3. Would the file actually work for counting down 30 days? On the tickers I only see 1 - 12, so I made mine to be 1 - 30.

Thanks! And I do love the concept! I am just not doing pregnancy type stuff. I'm doing writing countdowns. Thanks again!

tpgames

Couldn't find where to edit post.

UPDATE: With Answers.

1. The text under the image will be two toned, with the 2nd tone (the inner colour) whatever colour the user chooses.
2. The Modification settings in the Admin area is the only area where the font size actually changes. The font size in the php file, is ignored, apparently.

3. I am still unsure as to how the code works. We can customize the number of columns for the images, but that does not give us any customization for the count down. Your images indicate a 12 day count down.  I did edit the php file to use 30 instead of 12.  (Just like I posted above).
Thanks!

Vladimir Samoilov

Hello tpgames!

I saw you added several lines to img.php like this

if(isset($_GET['b3'])) $b3=$_GET['b3'];
if(isset($_GET['d3'])) $d3=$_GET['d3'];
if(isset($_GET['t3'])) $text3=$_GET['t3']; else  $text3='';
if(isset($_GET['f3'])) $fontname3=$_GET['f3']; else $fontname3='HOMON';
if(isset($_GET['c3'])) $c3=$_GET['c3']; else $c3='ffffff';

It is not necessary to do. Because my code means you can use 2 events in one ticker. For example ages of 2 children in one ticker simultaneously. It is optionally.

1. I didn't clearly understant first issue. Have you resolved it?
2. Yes, you have to choose the font size in Admin area. But if it isn't set then will be used default value (I use 10 as default, you set 16)
3. You have to modify diff() function in Subs-SimpleTickers.php file. This function return array whith date and month number (1-12). So you have to modify this function for returning day number (1-31) instead of month number.

tpgames

What I am doing is various projects that have nothing to do with "children, weddings, ages" etc. I was trying to alter your mod to work for our needs, and doing a very bad job of it. ;D Sorry!

Here is what we'd do. My idea that would make it simple is below all this.
1. We count down the number of days left in Nanowrimo (30 days).
2. We count days left on a 15 day project that could be just about anything from writing, to planning a game or learning something.

3. Or if we could, we'd count the number of words learned (which your ticker does not do.) I would do 15 words per day with a 450 word goal per month. Or 20 words per day, with a 600 word goal per month - which ever was easier to program. The words learned would be inserted on the honor system, because a new day happening, wouldn't mean I did anything towards the goal.

4. We would love to insert word count (not counting how many words, we just tell it the word count) and count up to one of the following word goals:  10,000 words; 25,000 words; 50,000 words; 75,000 words; 100,000 words; 175,000 words; 200,000 words; 500,000 words; 1,000,000 words. Ticker moving up for every 3334 words (30 slots on ticker) or 5,000 words for the smaller word counts (which gives us 20 spots for the ticker for 100,000 or 40 for 200,000 word goal.) works. But for the higher word count of 1 million, I'd settle for every 25,000 words to make it 40 slots.

Why two or more tickers?
We like to have each ticker be specific for the project such that it isn't counting down 30 days when its a 15 day project (we'd use same ticker for either and just call it good enough). Or, when its counting number of words learned.

MOD idea  (to make it easier) Perhaps....
If we could just push a button to make the ticker move one slot up after telling it how many slots we wanted, that would be easy to program and would work for whatever project? (I would tell it as an admin with the following specifics to make it really easy....)
And if you need specifics:
Slider would only be moved:
15 times
30 times
40 times
50 times

Then for the word goals: We would just click the button every time we learned 15 or 30 words. Thus, 15 times for 15 words would give us 450 words, using the same ticker.

Thanks! All the tickers I found online, just didn't do what I wanted, or worse, they didn't even work at all (sites down, insisted they host it, etc.)

SusanTN

I have a ticker created with the start date of 1-1-2016 it is now 6-1-2016, a full 6 months. The ticker shows 5 months on it, which is incorrect. The counter image position correctly shows 6 months.

I am using SimpleTickers_1.6.tar.gz

IE:

This is the database record for the counter

+-----------+---------+--------+-----------+------------------------+--------+----------------+------+------------+-------+--------+-------+
| RANDOMURL | LINE    | BEG    | STARTDATE | FONT                   | COLOR  | CAPT           | BEG2 | STARTDATE2 | FONT2 | COLOR2 | CAPT2 |
+-----------+---------+--------+-----------+------------------------+--------+----------------+------+------------+-------+--------+-------+
| eyQ3      | 26a.png | 31.png | 1,1,2016  | LiberationMono-Regular | 0000ff | Fulltime since | NULL | NULL       | NULL  | NULL   | NULL  |

Arantor

No, it's 5 months.

1st Jan to 1st Feb - 1 month
1st Feb to 1st Mar - 1 month
1st Mar to 1st Apr - 1 month
1st Apr to 1st May - 1 month
1st May to 1st Jun - 1 month

SusanTN

Then the image is wrong and should show 5 months as well. My preferred solution would be to give an option to offset the date during counter creation.

IE: Date Offset: [+,-] ______ [Days, Months, Years]

[] indicates select box.

It would also be nice to be able to edit your tickers, rather than having to create a new one.

Advertisement: